OT: NBA Offseason | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Offseason

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Russell isn't backing up Curry next year. Russell will be playing next to Curry. Who knows about the year after that?

Teams aren't thinking that far ahead. They are just trying to add a player or two tonight while staying away from the luxury tax. Honestly, if you are a GM with $20 million of cap space, just sit tight and other GM's will be calling you to just give players away. That was basically what Miami was doing tonight.
I’m just saying the Warriors is possibly the most surprising destination for D Lo, IMO.
Also when Klay comes back in March/April, will DLo still be starting? Doubtful.
I also think DLo is possibly overrated. He had the third highest usage rate behind Harden and PG13. Not sure he slides right in and is worth max money on a team where he’s the 3rd/4th option or possibly a 6 man?

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Memphis just picked up three first round draft picks because...who the knows why that happened? It seems like someone will regret that trade at some point.

Memphis is killing it right now. They have a great young core, just signed a top 12ish center that wants to be there for a bargain, and are stacked with future picks. They can play the long game if need be, but if they grow up fast they could easily trade for a superstar in a couple years with all the positive assets they have.

Reaction Score

I think the Lakers have completely screwed up this offseason. Kawhi would be a rescue, but would leave them only $19 million of cap space to sign 8 more players. I can't imagine what that roster will look like.

I don't remember what the rules are on the soft cap. They can only go over the soft cap if they are re-signing existing players or using it for specific exemptions (like the MLE), right? I didn't think I ever would need to know this stuff as a fan. This is the wildest offseason that I can remember.
They get Kawhi and that's 3 of the top 7 players in the league, you and Frank Ivy could round out the starting 5 and you'll have a good chance of cutting down the nets.

Reaction Score
This thread has been great. Every time I thought someone couldn't possibly have a worse take another one was made. I'm convinced half the posters in this thread haven't turned on an NBA game in years

Reaction Score
Thanks for providing the worst take in the whole thread. Nice work.

That post usurps my post stating 70 percent of your post was wrong without initially mentioning why. I think I am going to look back and see that I was 70 percent wrong - as was everyone. What a crazy, fun night. And we still have more to break. Kawhi seems to be in no rush. Chris Broussard is a hack and is the only person on my timeline pushing the Lakers as heavy Kawhi favorite narrative. He also apparently thinks Iggy is going there on a buy out with Seth or Danny Green. I don't think the math even makes sense, let alone the move for Kawhi.

Reaction Score
I thought that this past year would cool the Celtics homers off a little bit, but I guess not. Much easier to just blame Kyrie for everything and rev the hype train up again.

It is going to be strange cheering alongside these guys this year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Rozier deal to Charlotte was a sign and trade by Boston, that bumps their exception from $4.8m to just over $10m. Not sure who they are targeting at center. I really want to see Williams get some minutes. He has talent.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The Rozier deal to Charlotte was a sign and trade by Boston, that bumps their exception from $4.8m to just over $10m. Not sure who they are targeting at center. I really want to see Williams get some minutes. He has talent.

A little late since Noel, dedmon, and Ed Davis all off the board.

Kanter is a throw your phone against the wall move

Reaction Score
Nothing really matters until we know where Kawhi goes. He has 3 options. 2 of the teams would be the favorites and the last would be right in the mix.
Conversely, with so many good guys off the board, the 2 teams he rejects are in trouble.

Reaction Score
I’m just saying the Warriors is possibly the most surprising destination for D Lo, IMO.
Also when Klay comes back in March/April, will DLo still be starting? Doubtful.
I also think DLo is possibly overrated. He had the third highest usage rate behind Harden and PG13. Not sure he slides right in and is worth max money on a team where he’s the 3rd/4th option or possibly a 6 man?
It really was the only move the Dubs could make given their cap situation. A sign and trade with the Nets was really only way they could replace Durant with a high quality player, regardless of fit. I am not a D Lo fan at all, but I think this is a nice fit and he will flourish in their fast paced offense.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That post usurps my post stating 70 percent of your post was wrong without initially mentioning why. I think I am going to look back and see that I was 70 percent wrong - as was everyone. What a crazy, fun night. And we still have more to break. Kawhi seems to be in no rush. Chris Broussard is a hack and is the only person on my timeline pushing the Lakers as heavy Kawhi favorite narrative. He also apparently thinks Iggy is going there on a buy out with Seth or Danny Green. I don't think the math even makes sense, let alone the move for Kawhi.

It looks like even two of the teams involved in a trade itself got it wrong. Dragic was going to Dallas, then he wasn't, then he is probably going somewhere else, because the Mavericks can't make up their mind. I like Dragic a lot despite his injury issues, and he is in the last year of his contract. I think the Heat are stupid for dumping him, and I think every GM in the league should be sharpening their pencils to figure out how they can take advantage of the Heat's stupidity.

Giving up Richardson and Dragic to get Butler is a bad move by the Heat, and I don't think they are a playoff team without Dragic.

Reaction Score
Thanks for providing the worst take in the whole thread. Nice work.
I could've been more specific, apparently I didn't need to since you knew who's posts I was talking about

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They get Kawhi and that's 3 of the top 7 players in the league, you and Frank Ivy could round out the starting 5 and you'll have a good chance of cutting down the nets.

In the 90's, maybe that would work. In today's NBA with zone defenses, it is harder to hide two weak spots on offense. Furthermore, Lebron, AD and Kawhi all need load management, which means that the Lakers would play a lot of games with only 2 of them and a pretty grim roster. And if one or two of them get even a minor injury, the Lakers would be in danger of not even making the playoffs. Lebron's body is starting to break down, and AD has never played a full season.

If Kawhi makes a decision soon enough, he will be doing the Lakers a favor by going to the Raptors or Clippers. The Lakers should use that max cap slot for 4-5 players. They don't need a star when they already have AD and Lebron.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m hoping for favors. I like wcs. But is he worth the full Mle?

No. But he’d get more than the $4.8 they had to work with. Not sure how much Cousins wants. He played for less last year. Also, they could use that space on a trade for Capela.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Knicks did a great job of signing guys who don't fit at all with the pieces on the current roster. At least they're all short term deals

I don't think that too many short term deals are a good idea. NBA players will trade about 20-30% of their annual salary for an additional 2 years. I am not a Portis fan, but if the Knicks could have gotten him for 4 years at $10 or $12 a year, they should have done it. The short term deals just dump the Knicks right back in free agency hunting for players and likely overpaying. It also makes it difficult to build a core of a team, because the pieces will constantly be changing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom