OT - Nanu Nanu no more... Robin Williams has died | The Boneyard

OT - Nanu Nanu no more... Robin Williams has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Unbelievably talented guy, like many of the great talents he had a lot of demons. Saw him standing on a sidewalk in Chicago last summer and yelled Robin, he gave a wave. It's just so sad whenever someone is in such a dark place that they take their own life.

Reaction Score
Big loss, very funny. I don't think he ever learned how to ever turn it off & just be himself. He always felt he had to entertain everyone. Loved him & he did a lot of good. He just needed to learn to relax. I'll miss him. He was a good guy.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
RIP Thanks for all the laughs and insightful speeches... For some reason this kind of makes me a bit down, never met the man but growing up watching his shows and movies I feel eh

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Robin Wiliams and Paul Walker, were two of my Favorite actors ,and Brought me Much Joy viewing their Movies.
Such a Damn Shame to lose Both This Year.

Reaction Score
He was one of these guys where I didn't love most of what he did, but I especially loved some of what he did.
Good Will Hunting/Genie from Aladdin/Dead Poet's society/World According to Garp.
RIP. "It's not your fault."

Reaction Score
I feel bad that he was so depressed that he felt the need to kill himself. But, as a person who has been affected by suicide, I think it is a very selfish thing to do. It inflicts a tremendous amount of pain on his friends and family. I was not a fan of his work but I wish his family the very best.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
not sure how you can " Not enjoy " his comedy.
okay.

Reaction Score
I feel bad that he was so depressed that he felt the need to kill himself. But, as a person who has been affected by suicide, I think it is a very selfish thing to do. It inflicts a tremendous amount of pain on his friends and family. I was not a fan of his work but I wish his family the very best.
Suicide is not selfish.

Reaction Score
Big loss, very funny. I don't think he ever learned how to ever turn it off & just be himself. He always felt he had to entertain everyone. Loved him & he did a lot of good. He just needed to learn to relax. I'll miss him. He was a good guy.

That's exactly what I heard said about Chris Farley. Everyone expected him to be the funniest guy in the room every day, every room.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's not selfish.

They come to a point in the road where they actually believe that the people in their lives would truly be better off without them. It would seem to be an unimaginable level of suffering - you'd hope they'd be able to outrun their demons, but some demons run too fast.

Talented man - it's a shame.

Reaction Score
You know, don't want to hijack this thread with pyschobabble, but if there is one right every human being is born with, it's the right to choose when to check out of this sh-thole, and the act of doing so is not remotely selfish - having negative feelings about somebody who made the choice to check out, on the other hand, is quintessentially selfish, because the thought isn't about the other person and his/her suicide, but rather about self, and how self has suffered a loss. "Don't do it, for me," in essence.

Reaction Score
very, very sad... another part of my childhood is gone. he truly was a comedic genius in that I have never seen anyone else with his quickness/style/approach. on top of that, he was a fantastic dramatic actor. his roles in dead poets, awakenings, and good will hunting were fantastic. terribly sad to hear that he went out by his own hand.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Insanely. Talented. A once-in-generation talent. Glad it was my generation, but this is a terribly sad and premature loss. He had a lot more to give, be it on the screen or otherwise.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
very, very sad... another part of my childhood is gone. he truly was a comedic genius in that I have never seen anyone else with his quickness/style/approach. on top of that, he was a fantastic dramatic actor. his roles in dead poets, awakenings, and good will hunting were fantastic. terribly sad to hear that he went out by his own hand.
He was pretty much a savant when it came to speaking and being funny. The only one I can think of that matches his pure genius is George Carlin. Just like you can't teach height, you could never teach someone to be at their level of comedic ability.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
jleves said:
He was pretty much a savant when it came to speaking and being funny. The only one I can think of that matches his pure genius is George Carlin. Just like you can't teach height, you could never teach someone to be at their level of comedic ability.

Yes an absolute genius. Carlin was too but in a totally opposite manner . Carlin was a guy who had thought out twisted observations that nobody would think. Incredible. But prepared ahead of time mostly.
Williams however operated on a different plane entirely in that pretty much everything was improvised on stage. His mind was that quick. Being a total improv comic in my opinion is the single hardest thing to do in show business.

In 1978 I watched this at 11 years old with my father when it first aired and have kept a VHS copy ever since. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I can promise that his approach to this show is mind blowing for how he does it. A mortal comic couldn't last 4 minutes . A fact that is shown in this video when he plucks john Ritter out of the audience late in the show for an improv session. Ritter was in his prime on threes company at the time and was a talented and very funny guy in his own right. Williams makes him look like he is standing still as far as being quick on his feet with material.

He is coked out of his mind here. ( hey it's the 70's ) but is still incredibly sharp and his just a study in psychic energy.

As 8893 once a generation. I don't even know if that is accurate. I can't think if anyone like him in any generation. He will be missed.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
A man who I enjoyed watching from the Happy Day's years to The Crazy One's. He was one of the most talented people in Hollywood and will be missed for his contributions that made us smile, laugh and cry.

May he rest in peace. May God give comfort to his family and loved one's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22