OT: Movies | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Movies

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Eh, I have watched both of them about a billion times. That one I can live with. Although I could have lived with Shawshank winning too.

No, just no. No, no, no.

duck*, no.

Forrest Gump wasn't a great movie. It was entertaining, but try to sit through it now - it did not hold up.

Pulp Fiction and Shawshank were just a thousand miles better than Forest Gump.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No, just no. No, no, no.

duck*, no.

Forrest Gump wasn't a great movie. It was entertaining, but try to sit through it now - it did not hold up.

Pulp Fiction and Shawshank were just a thousand miles better than Forest Gump.
Sorry, I can still watch Forrest Gump. I probably see it a couple times a year. Just like I can watch the other two. They are all very good.

And of course Forrest Gump holds up. It was a period piece when it was released.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Completely subjective, but I'm not even sure I would consider Forrest Gump even one of the top five movies of that year.

Shawshank, Pulp Fiction, The Lion King, The Professional, The Hudsucker Proxy, Four Weddings and a Funeral - liked them all more than Forrest Gump. (I liked Ed Wood, too, but I'll admit I'm on an island there.)

I didn't dislike Forrest Gump, but some parts of it were just grating - the Robin Wright character almost from start to finish, but especially in the later part of the film, was really bad. (She had AIDS, but she looked better than any of us have on any day of our lives.) Some other parts dipped into the ridiculous - the running thing could have disappeared. It was unique, and Hanks was brilliant, but best picture? Nah.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I've benn watchIng "House of Cards" on Netflix, and knew the lead female character looked familiar. It's Jenny from "Forest Gump."

She's held up very well.

Completely subjective, but I'm not even sure I would consider Forrest Gump even one of the top five movies of that year.

Shawshank, Pulp Fiction, The Lion King, The Professional, The Hudsucker Proxy, Four Weddings and a Funeral - liked them all more than Forrest Gump. (I liked Ed Wood, too, but I'll admit I'm on an island there.)

I didn't dislike Forrest Gump, but some parts of it were just grating - the Robin Wright character almost from start to finish, but especially in the later part of the film, was really bad. (She had AIDS, but she looked better than any of us have on any day of our lives.) Some other parts dipped into the ridiculous - the running thing could have disappeared. It was unique, and Hanks was brilliant, but best picture? Nah.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sorry, I can still watch Forrest Gump. I probably see it a couple times a year. Just like I can watch the other two. They are all very good.

And of course Forrest Gump holds up. It was a period piece when it was released.

Not really. Gump was a movie for it's own time. It's main message was "sex equals death" , luckily that's part of the past.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Other flicks from that year I enjoyed:

Quiz Show
IQ. (a good year for Tim Robbins with Shawshank and Hudsucker)
Road to Wellville
The Madness of King George
Legends of the Fall

and yes Ed Wood.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've benn watchIng "House of Cards" on Netflix, and knew the lead female character looked familiar. It's Jenny from "Forest Gump."

She's held up very well.

She really has - she's also the chick in The Princess Bride.

Reaction Score

She's held up very well.

Divorcing Sean Penn was rejuvenating.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Make-up helps.

robin-wright-penn-no-makeup.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not really. Gump was a movie for it's own time. It's main message was "sex equals death" , luckily that's part of the past.
If that's what you got out of it, you kinda missed everything.

Reaction Score

I think you confused Forrest Gump with Philadelphia.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

That's what you got out of Forrest Gump? I thought killing her off added nothing to the movie. Sure, it was intended to drive home a message, but they were driving a clown car.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's what you got out of Forrest Gump? I thought killing her off added nothing to the movie. Sure, it was intended to drive home a message, but they were driving a clown car.

It was the only serious part of the movie. The rest was a joke.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
It was the only serious part of the movie. The rest was a joke.

You've never worked for a Gump? The guy who was in the right place at the right time or born into the right family? In-between random acts of stupidity they somehow get promoted or inherit money or a business partner dies leaving them in charge?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
You've never worked for a Gump? The guy who was in the right place at the right time or born into the right family? In-between random acts of stupidity they somehow get promoted or inherit money or a business partner dies leaving them in charge?

I worked at a tennis club for years, and was amused by many mini Gumps. 20 years later I've realized a few were simply risk takers who got lucky. Which is respectible. The rest were truly idiots.

I am sure this comes across as little more than shadenfruede, but I am amused by the fact more than half lost their money in the dot com, or the housing bubble.

For what it's worth, I am glad their kids got through college before they had to sell their house on the mountain.

Reaction Score
I agree.

You see a movie like Zero Dark Thirty and it's hard to believe that a snooze like The King's Speech won anything.

Saw Zero Dark Thirty last night. Outstanding. Loved every single minute of it.

Reaction Score
Watched Flight last night, another Robert Zemeckis movie. It was a good movie, mainly because Denzel Washington was amazing in the lead role. Anyone else see it, opinions?

Reaction Score
Saw "Identity Thief" because of bad weather and nothing else to do. It's good, but it's definitely a wait till it comes out on Netflix sort of thing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Watched Flight last night, another Robert Zemeckis movie. It was a good movie, mainly because Denzel Washington was amazing in the lead role. Anyone else see it, opinions?
I saw it and was blown away by Denzel's acting. After I saw it was sure he was a shoe-in for an Oscar. (then along came Lincoln) But still one of his best. Really liked Goodman's character also. Good movie.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I thought they included some slow moving scenes that could have been left out and the quick ending to an 2 hour 15 minute movie made it somewhat awkward. I can't say a lot more with spoiling. Overall a good movie, though and a solid return to live action for Zemeckis, who has been doing Pixar movies for then last dozen years.

Don Cheedle was great as usual.

Reaction Score
Saw Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln ... Both good but I thought Argo was better than both.

Flight was great acting and good overall but was not a feel-good movie. Depressing.

Biggest joke Oscar winner was Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. That was all time disgrace.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Biggest joke Oscar winner was Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan. That was all time disgrace.
Gotta agree with that one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom