OT: Movies | The Boneyard

OT: Movies

Reaction Score
Just recently, I finally got the chance to see Django Unchained, Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln and Argo.

Zero Dark Thirty was easily my favorite, and this was a surprise for me because I love everything Tarantino does. I really didn't care for "Hurt Locker" so my expectations going in were pretty low but I was surprised. The casting was near perfect, it wasn't politicized (just my opinion) it just told the story of what happened without rendering judgment.

It was almost a Rohrshach test. Some of the pro waterboard types point to the story as proof that torture works, the anti types point to it as glorification of torture and others even say that it was proof that it doesn't work.

Either way, if Bigelow had whitewashed the movie, then it wouldn't have been as good. The point is we used it in the process, and whether or not it worked is up for debate. But I appreciate the honest portrayal.

Lincoln was the most disappointing. Outside of Daniel Day Lewis, this movies was completely unremarkable. It was almost like TNT movie mated with some Aaron Sorkinesque political drama mashed up in Spielberg flick. It was just, well, boring.

Argo was well done too. Perfectly cast and paced. A great portrayal of an event few Americans were aware of.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Are these still in theatres, or on DvD?

Just recently, I finally got the chance to see Django Unchained, Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln and Argo.

Zero Dark Thirty was easily my favorite, and this was a surprise for me because I love everything Tarantino does. I really didn't care for "Hurt Locker" so my expectations going in were pretty low but I was surprised. The casting was near perfect, it wasn't politicized (just my opinion) it just told the story of what happened without rendering judgment.

It was almost a Rohrshach test. Some of the pro waterboard types point to the story as proof that torture works, the anti types point to it as glorification of torture and others even say that it was proof that it doesn't work.

Either way, if Bigelow had whitewashed the movie, then it wouldn't have been as good. The point is we used it in the process, and whether or not it worked is up for debate. But I appreciate the honest portrayal.

Lincoln was the most disappointing. Outside of Daniel Day Lewis, this movies was completely unremarkable. It was almost like TNT movie mated with some Aaron Sorkinesque political drama mashed up in Spielberg flick. It was just, well, boring.

Argo was well done too. Perfectly cast and paced. A great portrayal of an event few Americans were aware of.

Reaction Score

Theaters. Some of the bigger theaters are showing all of the Oscar nominated flicks again because they usually get a bump in interest.

I saw Lincoln just last night, theater was almost full.

I am considering watching Zero Dark Thirty again, I thought it was that good.

Reaction Score
Theaters. Some of the bigger theaters are showing all of the Oscar nominated flicks again because they usually get a bump in interest.

Okay... You're out of country - how was Zero Dark Thirty viewed by the locals?

Reaction Score
Okay... You're out of country - how was Zero Dark Thirty viewed by the locals?

No idea, because I just got back this month.

I hope it ticks them off. Really, I hope as many Muslim extremists as possible watch this movie and see that some good looking American chick killed their hero. It really presents a great message.

Reaction Score

I hope it ticks them off. Really, I hope as many Muslim extremists as possible watch this movie and see that some good looking American chick killed their hero. It really presents a great message.

Welcome home...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Zero Dark Thirty was the best Movie I have seen this year and last year. Now I haven't seen a couple of the Academy Award nominees but can't picture anything better than this movie.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

Tom my guess is most will be out sometime in March after the Oscars. The winner will get a re-release but all should be out by April.

Reaction Score
Zero Dark Thirty was the best Movie I have seen this year and last year. Now I haven't seen a couple of the Academy Award nominees but can't picture anything better than this movie.

I agree.

You see a movie like Zero Dark Thirty and it's hard to believe that a snooze like The King's Speech won anything.

Reaction Score
Zoo,

I agree with your evaluation. I didn't snooze through Lincoln but, the other 2 were much more engaging.

Reaction Score
Zoo,

I agree with your evaluation. I didn't snooze through Lincoln but, the other 2 were much more engaging.

I didn't actually sleep in Lincoln, but I thought that particular movie could have been a great deal more than what it was. It was like watching the West Wing in the 1800s. Really unremarkable other than Daniel Day Lewis.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Tom my guess is most will be out sometime in March after the Oscars. The winner will get a re-release but all should be out by April.

By "out" do you mean out on DVD?

I watch most movies on Amazon Instant Video, which usually follows a DVD release by a few months, depending on the movie.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Never heard of Django or Argo until recently, and know absolutely nothing about either, other than they are reportedly good.

I have no interest in Zero Dark Thirty, mostly because I'd be going into it knowing how it ends.

Is Lincoln just another civil war movie, or is it more of a biography?

I am considering watching Zero Dark Thirty again, I thought it was that good.[/quote]

Reaction Score
Didn't Forst Gump beat out Shawshank Redemption?

Shawshank and Pulp Fiction, both of which were superior films . . . . that and the Shakespeare in Love victory are the two biggest Oscar travesties in my lifetime. There have been worse movies to win Best Picture against weak fields (The King's Speech and The English Patient come to mind), but none as undeserving as the 1994 and 98 winners.

Reaction Score
Never heard of Django or Argo until recently, and know absolutely nothing about either, other than they are reportedly good.

I have no interest in Zero Dark Thirty, mostly because I'd be going into it knowing how it ends.

Is Lincoln just another civil war movie, or is it more of a biography?

[/quote]

Lincoln is a snapshot of what it took to pass the 13th Amendment and basically the end of the Civil War.

Zero Dark Thirty isn't so much about knowing how things end is it is how it got it to the end.

Reaction Score

How about a Spoiler Warning there. : )

Oh, and welcome back.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
By "out" do you mean out on DVD?

I watch most movies on Amazon Instant Video, which usually follows a DVD release by a few months, depending on the movie.

I would then say summertime for most unless you are on Amazon Prime which gets them earlier in many cases than Netflix or Redbox.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Didn't Forst Gump beat out Shawshank Redemption?
Eh, I have watched both of them about a billion times. That one I can live with. Although I could have lived with Shawshank winning too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I didn't actually sleep in Lincoln, but I thought that particular movie could have been a great deal more than what it was. It was like watching the West Wing in the 1800s. Really unremarkable other than Daniel Day Lewis.

I pretty much agree with this. Lewis was just great. Maybe I liked it a little better than Zoo. But unremarkable is a good description of Tommy Lee Jones. How did he rate an Oscar Nom?

Reaction Score
I pretty much agree with this. Lewis was just great. Maybe I liked it a little better than Zoo. But unremarkable is a good description of Tommy Lee Jones. How did he rate an Oscar Nom?

He played the same character he always plays.

That one scene was great though. Re-Pub-Li-Can

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom