OT: Mizzou black football players taking a stand | Page 18 | The Boneyard

OT: Mizzou black football players taking a stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Payton Head now apologizes for making up the KKK on campus story.

If you want justice, you better do justice. For every single person it's required.
You are making up this story, not a good look.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
As for skin color, it is functionally irrelevant. Its social role is constantly diminishing and this great melting pot continues to churn out people who increasingly aren't any one "race". The first African American adults I met as a child were an orthopedic surgeon and an ex NFL player who owned a tennis club. Their kids had no material disadvantages. I once worked with a "white" guy who lived many of his formative years homeless with a junkie mom, eating out of dumpsters. He was working, with a family, and trying to get through community college at night.

So you think your experience as one out of hundreds of millions of American citizens reflects the overall racial climate? I'm not denying that there are African Americans who have had much more favorable life course trajectories than certain whites. But is it fair to paint that reality as true for the majority?

And given the widespread backlash to the student protest movements and various outcroppings of black solidarity that have formed in the past year or so, I posit that skin color is not functionally irrelevant. We're hearing many young black voices who feel targeted and unsafe because of the color of their skin, and on the other side, we hear dissident white voices uncomfortable with black assembly or political organization. Do some reading into the "alternative right" presence on social media - you'll be a tad shocked. It's as if Southerners in the Jim Crow era were given smartphones.

Reaction Score
Well said. On top of all of this, even hard limits can be challenged. My good friend was born with one arm, aside from being Controller at a high tech company is a very good golfer and competitive hockey player. But no, he wasn't going to the PGA or NHL.

As for skin color, it is functionally irrelevant. Its social role is constantly diminishing and this great melting pot continues to churn out people who increasingly aren't any one "race". The first African American adults I met as a child were an orthopedic surgeon and an ex NFL player who owned a tennis club. Their kids had no material disadvantages. I once worked with a "white" guy who lived many of his formative years homeless with a junkie mom, eating out of dumpsters. He was working, with a family, and trying to get through community college at night.

While it is fair for anyone to say to me that I don't know what it's like to be black, it's also fair to say that I don't know what it's like to be Italian, Jewish or to be any other "white" person. While I have no doubt that race causes some commonality of experience, I also have no doubt that other things have much, much bigger impacts on who you are and who you become. Your own decisions are one of those things.

One of the more amazing things I've ever been privy to is help wounded men that are paralyzed scuba dive in a swimming pool. Can you imagine the fear in the eyes? But then to know what its like to be able to be in the water and not drown?

For that matter, can you imagine the anger, resentment, envy, jealousy, frank hatred and at worst self-loathing that such men feel?

Does racism inspire the same human rmotions? Absolutely.

I submit again, that being born black and suffering racial oppression and racial insult, is not the same as being thrust into a wheelchair and having your legs taken away, and people need to stop behaving and thinking that it is.

The choices are there, to overcome the negstive human emotion, make choices, set goals and reach them. Its not going to be easy, and hard work guarantees nothing but fatigue.

And guess what, when you're at the bottom of the pool with your scuba gear and well prepared - you don't drown.

Education and teachers - parenting. Teaching how to survive, and overcome, and thrive. Very important.

Its children that grow up without the guidance to have a chance, starting point irrelevant, that breaks my heart.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So you think your experience as one out of hundreds of millions of American citizens reflects the overall racial climate? I'm not denying that there are African Americans who have had much more favorable life course trajectories than certain whites. But is it fair to paint that reality as true for the majority?

And given the widespread backlash to the student protest movements and various outcroppings of black solidarity that have formed in the past year or so, I posit that skin color is not functionally irrelevant. We're hearing many young black voices who feel targeted and unsafe because of the color of their skin, and on the other side, we hear dissident white voices uncomfortable with black assembly or political organization. Do some reading into the "alternative right" presence on social media - you'll be a tad shocked. It's as if Southerners in the Jim Crow era were given smartphones.

Don't misunderstand what I mean by functionally irrelevant, I mean that it imposes no mental or physical handicap of any kind. That brown skinned people are every bit as capable as less brown people. It can present a societal impediment in other ways, I acknowledge that.

My point is that by grouping people by this simple categorization, we do a gross disservice to them. It is not what defines them, or shouldn't be. Many white folks have difficult lives, some black folks have easy ones. Jews have long been targets of discrimination and persecution, as were the Catholic Irish in Boston at one time ("no Irish need apply") and in their own country at the hands of the British. The Romany/Gyspies have been persecuted in many places. There are many other examples.

We need to look at people as individuals, and not members of any group. Any time any group of people proclaim themselves as different, and say they are "us", and others are "them", the members of "them" will react in a predictable fashion and reciprocate. It needs to stop, instead it keeps escalating. We new need leaders like MLK, who understood this.

Reaction Score
This is totally untrue. He never said he made up the story. He apologized for spreading the rumor. And that rumor is already evidenced by tweets which proceeded his. There's a big difference between making something up and spreading a rumor.

The tweets also went out shortly after a bunch of men in masks were seen walking through campus.
I hadn't heard about "men in masks". Please elaborate or link.

Reaction Score

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
One of the more amazing things I've ever been privy to is help wounded men that are paralyzed scuba dive in a swimming pool. Can you imagine the fear in the eyes? But then to know what its like to be able to be in the water and not drown?

For that matter, can you imagine the anger, resentment, envy, jealousy, frank hatred and at worst self-loathing that such men feel?

Does racism inspire the same human rmotions? Absolutely.

I submit again, that being born black and suffering racial oppression and racial insult, is not the same as being thrust into a wheelchair and having your legs taken away, and people need to stop behaving and thinking that it is.

The choices are there, to overcome the negstive human emotion, make choices, set goals and reach them. Its not going to be easy, and hard work guarantees nothing but fatigue.

And guess what, when you're at the bottom of the pool with your scuba gear and well prepared - you don't drown.

Education and teachers - parenting. Teaching how to survive, and overcome, and thrive. Very important.

Its children that grow up without the guidance to have a chance, starting point irrelevant, that breaks my heart.

Your assumption that the negative experience is limited to insults is the beginning of your problem. I would also point out that society developed wheelchairs, prosthetics, and an entire branch of orthopedics and rehabilitation therapy to assist paraplegics. The overriding response to minorities seeking similar assistance (justice in this case) is further derision. It would be like asking a legless person why don't they just climb the stairs with their arms? And before you think the sentiment behind that last bit of hyperbole doesn't exist, ask a building owner to bring his building up to ADA code. The only difference is universal sympathy for the guy in the chair vs. the building owner.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
You're already coming to conclusions before you even read the flipping study. Has it crossed your mind that after reading it you might actually agree with my assessment? You're being very close minded about this.
LOL nice try Jimmy.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
As a business owner/manager/decision maker, as most of you are. Would you even interview someone with a ethnic studies or liberal arts degree from missouri? Its obviously a very high risk situation.

Reaction Score
As a business owner/manager/decision maker, as most of you are. Would you even interview someone with a ethnic studies or liberal arts degree from missouri? Its obviously a very high risk situation.
If you are a racist, I guess so. Unless the white kid who was arrested for killing every black person he could on campus was an ethnic studies or liberals arts major, then I guess you have a point.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
If you are a racist, I guess so. Unless the white kid who was arrested for killing every black person he could on campus was an ethnic studies or liberals arts major, then I guess you have a point.
Than you are a bad leader. These people will be the first to sue you over nothing. I wouldn't hire someone like you to make decisions.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Than you are a bad leader. These people will be the first to sue you over nothing. I wouldn't hire someone like you to make decisions.

Neither would I you. Discrimination against groups of people because of personal prejudices is why this whole conversation is happening.

Reaction Score
Lol. You protested racism in college, you must be someone who will sue me.

Great logic.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
CToeLqmUkAAN_u2.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
An interesting perspective from that noted conservative commentator - Alan Dershowitz:

"These are the same people who claim they are seeking diversity. The last thing these students want is real diversity, diversity of ideas. They may want superficial diversity, diversity of gender, diversity of color, but they do not want diversity of ideas.

We are seeing a curtain of McCarthyism descend over many college campuses I don't want to make analogies to the 1930s, but it was the college students who first started burning books during the Nazi regime. These students are book burners...

By expressing my opinion, I am "harassing students." This is becoming a very serious problem not only in American universities, but around the world. It is having a terrible impact on the education of students...

It is the worst kind of hypocrisy. They want complete control over their personal lives, over their sex lives, over the use of drugs, but they want mommy and daddy dean to please give them a safe place, to protect them from ideas that maybe are insensitive, maybe will make them think...

When I spoke at Johns Hopkins University, the same students who were talking about a 'safe space,' painted a Hitler mustache on my posters, it is an absolute double standard.

It is free speech for me, but not for thee. Universities should not tolerate this kind of hypocrisy, double standard…

The fog of fascism is descending upon American college campuses..."

Reaction Score
An interesting perspective from that noted conservative commentator - Alan Dershowitz:

"These are the same people who claim they are seeking diversity. The last thing these students want is real diversity, diversity of ideas. They may want superficial diversity, diversity of gender, diversity of color, but they do not want diversity of ideas.

We are seeing a curtain of McCarthyism descend over many college campuses I don't want to make analogies to the 1930s, but it was the college students who first started burning books during the Nazi regime. These students are book burners...

By expressing my opinion, I am "harassing students." This is becoming a very serious problem not only in American universities, but around the world. It is having a terrible impact on the education of students...

It is the worst kind of hypocrisy. They want complete control over their personal lives, over their sex lives, over the use of drugs, but they want mommy and daddy dean to please give them a safe place, to protect them from ideas that maybe are insensitive, maybe will make them think...

When I spoke at Johns Hopkins University, the same students who were talking about a 'safe space,' painted a Hitler mustache on my posters, it is an absolute double standard.

It is free speech for me, but not for thee. Universities should not tolerate this kind of hypocrisy, double standard…

The fog of fascism is descending upon American college campuses..."

Don't sell Dershowitz short by calling him a commentator, he actually has a brain.

Reaction Score

Rings absolutely hollow coming from a guy whose number one goal in life right now is squelching debate on Israeli/Palestinian issues on campuses.

http://academeblog.org/2012/06/08/an-interview-with-alan-dershowitz/

This guy was a hitman against the free speech rights of both Finkelstein at DePaul and Steven Salaita at Illinois. Both those guys won their court cases against their universities.

Now Dershowitz is accusing these schools of free speech hypocrisy?

There's a word for that: chutzpah!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
You sound like a big part of the problem.

Really, maybe you should look at the ridiculousness going on at campuses across the nation. It is mind boggling what they are saying about free speech and how it needs to be squelched, disgusting.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Not talking racial issues at all, but this tweet just reaffirms a lot of my issue with this whole scenario at Missouri. I do not discount the issues at all, but quite a bit of this saga has reeked of just attention whoring.

1447468122837.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32