OT: Men's Recruit Means One Player Loses Scholarship | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Men's Recruit Means One Player Loses Scholarship

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Prediction: Drummond will join the team as a walk-on and pay his own way. Note: I was "meadowlander" on the old site because I was already there as a NY Giant fan when they acquired the Boneyard.
we thought that the other day but what i've been reading is that has changed and he will give up his scholly for the year...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Neither your baseless personal attack or suggestion that UK's men team or other women's team have committed similar or less savoury actions actually changes my initial argument: Simply because it happens does not mean it has to be accepted or that it cannot be subjectively objectionable.

If Bradley is losing his scholarship to his detriment, then I still find it objectionable that the university does not honor a commitment to a young man simply because a supposedly more talented player comes along, just as I find it objectionable for any other institution/team to do the same to any of its players.

My opinion changes if it turns out Bradley would also benefit from the switch to financial aid.
This whole process is still in progress so we are all commenting before things are complete.

From this article http://www.chron.com/news/article/UConn-exploring-options-with-Michael-Bradley-2146918.php
UConn-exploring-options-with-Michael-Bradley-2146918.php
:

“There are several options I know the school is helping him to explore, (like) how much financial aid he would be eligible for,” said Lynn Jordan, program director at the Tennessee Baptist Children’s Home, where Bradley spent most of his high school years. “His circumstances are a little unique, so that may open the door up for financial aid.”
Bradley’s background certainly is unique. He moved into the children’s home — a facility that works with families of children who, for a variety of reasons, can’t live at home — when he was about 12, returned to live with his mother, Jacqueline Phinazee, about 18 months later, but soon returned to the home and spent the bulk of his high school years there. For a time, he lived with Jordan and her son, Blake, and maintains a close relationship with the family.
“As far as I know, he hasn’t signed anything yet, officially,” said Jordan. “They’re going to try to get the numbers together, let him see them, and if they think it will work out as far as the money, it’s something he’s willing to do.”
Indeed, she added that Bradley didn’t at all feel forced into sacrificing his scholarship for Drummond, the 6-11 center who’s rated as one of the top big men recruits in America.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Glad Geno does not work that way!
I think he is fortunate he doesn't have to. My statement doesn't imply that if circumstances were to change Geno would resort to the tactics that take place in the men's game. It just implies we don't know how he would react if he were coaching under the circumstances that take place in the men's game. Suffice it to say that Geno has had one or two situations where public scrutiny has been critical of what he did.

Every time I drive on the highway, 90% of the drivers pass me. Since I'm doing the speed limit I can only assume that many if not most people break the law and are involved in an activity that increases the risks for their injury or death or their fellow man's injury or death. This is far more serious situation than what is taking place with the Drummond and Bradley, whose treatment is totally within the scope of legality and in which the University is undertaking the necessary steps to insure it is complying with the NCAA rules. It won't attract nearly the outrage or indignation that JC will get because so many of us do it.

It doesn't mean that what takes place in getting Andre into the program has to be acceptable to any of us. That is different than your statement which implied a morally superior individual in Geno than the person he was being compared with. Stick to the distaste of the action as presented by caravaggio. Your simple quip implies the need to elevate someone at the expense of someone else and I'm not sure it was necessary.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Fleudskip - I made a simple declarative statement. I did not compare him to anyone. I was speaking about Geno and the women's program only. You appear to be the only one who feels it necessary to decide what I actually meant. Thank you for your lengthy explication of my supposed intentions, and for your warm welcome to the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Because he wasn't recruited this year.

Actually Katz doesn't understand the NCAA bylaws. There is no difference between a player who was recruited this year or in any past year. Any player can be a "walk-on", regardless of when they committed or whether or not they were recruited. If the player gets no aid of any kind, then he does not count against the scholarship limit.

However if a "recruited" player gets any sort of need-based aid and most other types of financial aid, then he becomes a "counter" - regardless of whether the aid is an athletic scholarship or other aid. Bradley will still be a counter if he gets the kind of aid that has been discussed. But apparently the NCAA's restriction of 10 scholarships applies only to the number of true athletic scholarships and not to the number of counters.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You'd better believe Geno would do the same thing if this situation was happening on the womens side

It would not happen on the women's side. Geno never uses his full limit of 15 scholarships.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
It would not happen on the women's side. Geno never uses his full limit of scholarships.
Yes but I just meant if he was put in the same situation as calhoun he would do the same thing.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes but I just meant if he was put in the same situation as calhoun he would do the same thing.
No way to answer that question; he might but he very well might not.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
He's in a six-year program and can only get an athletic scholarship for 5 of them. He was going to have to pay his own way at some point. It's not ideal, but it's logical in it's own right.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Fleudskip - I made a simple declarative statement. I did not compare him to anyone. I was speaking about Geno and the women's program only. You appear to be the only one who feels it necessary to decide what I actually meant. Thank you for your lengthy explication of my supposed intentions, and for your warm welcome to the Boneyard.
I stand corrected!

Reaction Score
Yes, but would not the offer of the next year's contract be considered recruiting a player. Bradley had to be expecting the scholarship for this year. Presumably the exit interviews from last season would confirm that.

Scholarships are all renewed irrevocably by June. If he was offered the scholarship renewal then - and it appears he was - then it can only be taken away if he agrees to it or if some new issue arises.

As for a player being recruited, both Drummond and Bradley clearly fall under the NCAA definition of being recruited.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Scholarships are all renewed irrevocably by June. If he was offered the scholarship renewal then - and it appears he was - then it can only be taken away if he agrees to it or if some new issue arises.

As for a player being recruited, both Drummond and Bradley clearly fall under the NCAA definition of being recruited.

Thanks, stamford, that is what I expected, also. So how this gets worked out is very unclear to me.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99