OT: Men's Hockey Possibly to Hockey East | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Men's Hockey Possibly to Hockey East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we can get football players from Canada, maybe we can steal a hockey player or two. once schollies are added for hockey, I think we will see a steady rise in competitiveness to HE standards. We'll have a better than average team faster than many believe. Will take our lumps initially though.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with you upstater. And I think American players have improved dramatically over the last decade or so as well. this is one guy's opinion, though and he was a pretty successful head coach at D-3 and a small D1 program before heading off to become the top assistant at a major D1 program. Still, landing a few talented Canadians is almost required to be successful at the highest levels.

Of the four teams in the Frozen Four the BC has 3 Canadians, Minnesota has none (but one player from Finland), Ferris State has 8 and Union College has 11.

Recruiting hockey players is very different from any other sport. Very few players come right out of High School. Most are coming from prep schools, junior leagues or US Development teams. It is rare to find a freshman who is 18 years old, many are 21 or older. The goaltender from U of Minnesota Duluth was 26 years old.

Interesting relationships between NHL and College teams. If a kid is ready they will be all over him to come and play Pro hockey. If they feel a kid still needs development they will tell them to stay in school and keep developing. It is less expensive for NHL teams to stay in college than to start playing minor league hockey. Unlike other sports a hockey player is drafted at 18 years of age. They remain the property of the teams that drafted them as long as they want them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
On campus they could probably average 4k if they were in Hockey East and had a suitable arena. XL would be an absolute joke, they would draw for the first handful of games and when the novelty wore off the building would be completely empty.

Without plans for a legitimate on campus arena, it's not even worth discussing.

Reaction Score
i don't get what you mean by this. i don't follow college hockey, are you saying they're more likely to leave us for a Canadian Junior league or something like that rather than stay 4 years?

Pretty much, although when a player leaves school, it's usually to go pro rather than to the major juniors (Jonathan Toews, for example, left North Dakota after two years to go to the Blackhawks; his teammate Duncan Keith played 2 years at Michigan State before going to Kelowna in the Western HL). What is starting to happen is more players decommitting from collegiate NLIs and signing with CHL clubs.

It's also becoming more and more true of American players as well, not just Canadians; the CHL is seen as a quicker route to the NHL if you've got the talent. The NCAA's still a very strong feeder of NHL players (and IMO, the players the NCAA produces that make it to the NHL are better roleplayers and more team-oriented, increasing their value far beyond their talent), and their slice of the pie is increasing year by year, but in recent years, the CHL leagues have increased the scholarship assistance they offer to players (basically, for every year you play MJ hockey, you get a one-year scholarship to a CIS university), which takes away from one of the main selling points of NCAA hockey (i.e. 'come here and you'll get a good degree'). Also, NCAA rules state you're not allowed to contact a prospective recruit until he's 16, and the MJs have no such restriction.

The NCAA is recognizing this problem, and the five conferences (soon to be six) have cooperated to put together a marketing company, College Hockey Inc., to sell NCAA hockey to junior level recruits. The website is pretty well organized, www.collegehockeyinc.com. CHI was also instrumental in getting an NCAA-wide national TV contract this past year with Versus/NBCSN.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
He won't be governor for ever...that will give them time to get the bb facility, soccer stadium, baseball & softball projects done...then they can do the ice hockey facility.

He won't?? Knowing Democrats... he'll find out how to be DICTATOR for life!! :)

Reaction Score
0% chance Marshall coaches a single UConn game in HE. Competitively, it would take a while for them to build up to a point where they could compete with the top teams in the league, but with a few years of solid recruiting, they could get out of the bottom two slot of the basement that doesn't make the HET. Though with 12 teams, I don't know how they'll amend the tournament structure.

And before you all start suggesting it, NO, the HE semis and finals will never move to XL.

There are 3 people I'd like UConn to get....Craig Jenney, Chris Druey or Todd Krygier, the only UConn player to play for the Whalers --and the NHL)

Reaction Score
Brass:

I would like to see Howard donate to the Howard Baldwin Arena on UConn...CT high schools could have tournaments there... (and maybe EO Smith could start a hockey team, if they don't now).

Reaction Score
Go for a 5000-5500 seat arena expandable to 7000-7500. That way if the demand is there it can be expanded down the road. Either way, like I said before...hold CIAC Ice Hockey Championships there as well. The women's team was made full scholarship and went into HE as part of the football upgrade. Since there is no way I can see Marshall coaching UConn in HE, the guy who is hired to replace him...if the right guy is hired...could speed up the building process. The same could be said the other way around...the wrong hire could make the upgrade painful. If this goes through, we need a UConn Hockey section for this board.

See my suggestions for coach....Or another one...Brian Leech. (Craig, Chris and Brian are CT raised, Todd is a UConn grad.)

Reaction Score
There's a lot of hockey being played in Connecticut. Not just youth leagues which are among the best in the country, but by 50+ hackers like me. These guys are hard core and they know what's going on up and down the competitive landscape. That doesn't guarantee anything except a fertile foundation, and the hole left by the Whalers doesn't hurt either.

With committment, exposure and a competitive league Connecticut Hockey really has no limitations as to how far or fast we can go. Heck we used to have fans to our intramural games in the open arena in the 80's! If Union NY can succeed I haven't got a clue as to why we cannot.

I'm going to see the Frozen Four!! I'm cheering for Union.

Reaction Score
Brass:

I would like to see Howard donate to the Howard Baldwin Arena on UConn...CT high schools could have tournaments there... (and maybe EO Smith could start a hockey team, if they don't now).

UConn shares Frietas with the EO Smith co-op team (I believe it's Tolland and Windham) and the Northeast Ice Dogs junior program. It's part of the reason I'm convinced that the school has kept up a hockey rink with minimal investment for this long.

Reaction Score
nice matt, your alam usually has a decent program on there hands.

for uconn getting ct kids, it will take time. the best will go else where at first for a bit. there are great puck roots in ct from minis up thru hs and club. the wolves and pics(springfield) come to mind as good feeder programs among others i'm sure in the area. i would say it would be realistic to grab a couple ct prep kids a year from any of the great prep schools(ch/Steven Krajewski/aof/salis...). those are easily way above all hs puck in ct. there are only 2 ciac programs that would even have the talent on a good year to play with those guys, those schools are hamden and fairfield prep. there league is easily the best/deepest in the state every year and its not even close for ciac and usually those 2 programs are way ahead of the rest. those schools have some big time alum in the nhl(drury and quick both were on the last team usa) and would be a good place to start recruiting wise on a local level if uconn is looking to reach the public thru school systems even with the talent not being on par with what they need. but for uconn to be competitive in HE they won't have a roster full of ct/ne kids, no where close actually.

I think that just like the upgrade in FB helped CT football, I think an upgrade in Hockey will help the hockey program in high school (and maybe even start new hs teams).

i expect a normal uconn roster to be 50% northeast, 50% non northeast. over time being in HE i think that will become more northeast heavy but it will be hard to win recruit battles in ny/pa/ne until were more established or we have a facility that trumps the rest of the league, plus from what i hear a new coach. but hey, get that guy on the food network going with the media and lets see what happens. i would love nothing more than the next quick, drury or archebelo to be from uconn.:D

I'd love to see UConn students playing hockey from CT/NE, Canada, MN, FL (don't laugh Durant High here is a good hockey school, no, they may not beat a CT team but they been playing since 1998 when the school opened.), CA and maybe Sweden.

also ct-yale/uconn/quinn/shu at the xl or outdoors at the rent every year for the "insert name here". GET IT DONE!

Reaction Score
My UCONN hockey following days go pretty gar back...I actually did color for a game on WHUS at the old outdoor rink...man was that place cold...I'd be absolutely thrilled with this move. And while I don't love the XL Center as a home, it is simply too big and even if you have a successful program, it will always feel empty...as ann interim step I'd say go for it. Probably play the season there much like the basketball team did in pre-Gampel Days...non-conference games at Frietas and maybe a few lesser league games (UMass-Lowell, Vermont Merrimack) whith BC, BU, and the other Big names at XL. The goal ought to be a 4-5000+- seat on campus arena. I know HEA says its "requirement is 5000, but virtually nobody has that. Even Agganis is only around 4500 I think. Schnieder Arena at Providence and Merrimack are both around 3000-3500 I think. So I doubt there is too much problem with an arena in the 4500 range.

I remember them stopping a game because the puck was lost in a snowbank at the outdoor rink. The puck was lost!! :)

Now my regular defense of Bruce Marshall...first off, I'm not suggesting for a second that he is another Jerry York or Jack Parker (god am I old...my first college game I saw York play) . But he isn't some bum either. If you look at his record it is at least credible given the limitations...In the old D-3 daus he built UCONN into a regional power of some renown. Took them to the ECAC Championship game at least once, maybe twice. As a D-1 school, they were ineligible for the NCAA D-3 tourney under the rules at the time. In the D-1 era he has been playing a pretty tough hand...UCONN has no hockey scholarships right now while the league has allowed 11-12 since its inception. The NCAA limit is 18. None the less he has managed most years to put at least competitive teams on the ice. There have been a few duds, but for the most part, the program has always managed to rebound and become competitive in the league again. They ususally manage an non-conference win along the way, which is likewise a mismatch in terms of who they recruit vs their opponents. This year's team sort of fell apart late in the year, which was disappointing, too. But given that Bruce is forever searching for diamonds in the rough, and he has found a few, he hasn't been as bad as some say, in my view.

BM is a good coach, and I think he could win games if he stayed. Myself, I like my choices...and give BM an honorary title. (like Dee Rowe had).

Reaction Score
UConn shares Frietas with the EO Smith co-op team (I believe it's Tolland and Windham) and the Northeast Ice Dogs junior program. It's part of the reason I'm convinced that the school has kept up a hockey rink with minimal investment for this long.

Thanks ... Tolland and Windham?? I thought they do drugs in Windham!! :) Ok, sorry people of Windham...but Willimantic is a dump. (Only good thing in Windham, Hosmer Mountain Sodas!!)

Reaction Score
I really hope UConn gets into Hockey East and within a couple years upsets BC's only good athletic team. That would surely give UConn and it's fans a nice little boost. A new slightly updated barn on campus with Maine, BC, UMass, BU, UNH and Providence visiting would definitely excite a lot of northern and eastern CT hockey fans and students.

Reaction Score
Thanks ... Tolland and Windham?? I thought they do drugs in Windham!! :) Ok, sorry people of Windham...but Willimantic is a dump. (Only good thing in Windham, Hosmer Mountain Sodas!!)
What does Willimantic being a "dump" as you call it have anything what so ever to do with this topic?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Brass:

Howard Baldwin has never had any money. He couldn't donate enough to pay gas money for the shuttle buses on Spring Weekend.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
YALE WHALE will forever be the home of ct hs puck! some great memories from hs in that plot and in that place.

Reaction Score
Some of these BC people are crazy... they want NC State to HE??
bc internet hockey fans are among the strangest and idiotic people in the world. a few of them make their football fans look like mother teresa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom