OT: Men's Hockey Possibly to Hockey East | The Boneyard

OT: Men's Hockey Possibly to Hockey East

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Malloy is going to strong arm UConn into playing their home games at the XL Center (in front of about 500 people) instead of building an on-campus arena. WTF!:mad:

Reaction Score
He won't be governor for ever...that will give them time to get the bb facility, soccer stadium, baseball & softball projects done...then they can do the ice hockey facility.

Reaction Score
They may be forced into using XL if an on campus rink isnt built since HE has a rule that all new members must have an arena with at least 5K seats. They might allow a temporary waiver to use Freitas while one is being built, but Freitas is a non-starter long term. Plus it's woefully inadequate.

Reaction Score
I enjoy college hockey, but this is a money pit, plain and simple. We will spend a fortune to upgrade the hockey program that will never turn a profit. I don't buy for one second that this increases our profile and makes us more attractive as a conference expansion candidate. Nobody would go to these games at the XL, and the money is not there to build a new on campus arena (which is really the only option). Freitas would need to be bulldozed.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Tears of joy. Tears.

Reaction Score
At this point, I don't think I we know enough of the details to say much but count me as someone who would love to to see us make the move and feels encouraged that we're at least trying to figure it out. It would be great for the athletic department, the university and hockey fans.

I don't think anyone wants to start off in the XL center but if it's temporary while something else is being built...you've got to start somewhere. Hopefully they would keep tickets cheap to get butts in the seats.

Reaction Score
Hockey East is a profit-turning league, so it's not at all impossible for the program to turn a profit. Many HE schools operate in the black.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If we actually support our hockey program, we could easily become relevant quickly, ALA Oregon in baseball. The marketing must be there though...we cannot afford to half-ass this.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is terrific news.

A proper hockey arena on campus...that would be amazing.

Reaction Score
0% chance Marshall coaches a single UConn game in HE. Competitively, it would take a while for them to build up to a point where they could compete with the top teams in the league, but with a few years of solid recruiting, they could get out of the bottom two slot of the basement that doesn't make the HET. Though with 12 teams, I don't know how they'll amend the tournament structure.

And before you all start suggesting it, NO, the HE semis and finals will never move to XL.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
What's the scholarship commitment for HE and what do we currently provide, if any? Any increase is doubled by the increase for women's sports.

Reaction Score
Just got a tweet from Chip Malfronte fron NH Register. I had tweeted him and asked him if UConn was serious about a HE upgrade or just exploring it's options. He said in his tweet back that UConn has been looking at this for a while and he would be surprised if this move didn't happen.

Reaction Score
AHA caps, I believe, at 12. HE teams generally do around 18. It's not a huge increase, but an increase nonetheless.

Reaction Score
Just got a tweet from Chip Malfronte fron NH Register. I had tweeted him and asked him if UConn was serious about a HE upgrade or just exploring it's options. He said in his tweet back that UConn has been looking at this for a while and he would be surprised if this move didn't happen.
I'd bet money on them being in for 13-14. HE wants them, they don't want to deal with small time schools like RPI/QU/Holy Cross. Plus, with their recent deal with NBC Sports, it adds to their potential TV profile, since UConn would instantly be the second most nationally recognized sports program in the league behind ND. The big problem with UConn is facilities. They don't want games in a 5% full XL, and Freitas is 100% inadequate.

Reaction Score
Don't be surprised if the CDA looks at UConn hockey as a necessary anchor for the XL center. Remember, it isn't about the fans, game day experience, home ice advantage, students, or even UConn when it comes to decision time.

It's about the $'s. XL center needs UConn, therefore that will be the starting point in negotiation.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'd bet money on them being in for 13-14. HE wants them, they don't want to deal with small time schools like RPI/QU/Holy Cross. Plus, with their recent deal with NBC Sports, it adds to their potential TV profile, since UConn would instantly be the second most nationally recognized sports program in the league behind ND. The big problem with UConn is facilities. They don't want games in a 5% full XL, and Freitas is 100% inadequate.
Do they do anything to the XL now for Whale games (curtain off upper sections, etc.) to make it more intimate? The lower bowl at XL wouldn't be bad if the school committed to buses from campus, etc.

Reaction Score
Do they do anything to the XL now for Whale games (curtain off upper sections, etc.) to make it more intimate? The lower bowl at XL wouldn't be bad if the school committed to buses from campus, etc.
You wouldn't be able to convince many students to bus to Hartford on Friday nights for a hockey game against Lowell, Merrimack, Vermont, UNH, or Northeastern. Even BU and Maine would be tough draws because of the lack of national name power. It'd be very sad to see a Maine-UConn game at XL where Maine fans outnumber UConn fans. As it stands now, that would most certainly happen.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if Baldwin doesn't look into kicking in some money to building an on-campus rink. UConn playing in Hartford could potentially take a bite out of Whale attendance numbers, and it would be best for his efforts to bring an NHL team in for there to be a vibrant college team in Storrs.

Reaction Score
A 8000-10500 seat on campus arena would be awesome....they already handle parking for games at Gampel with no big headaches so a 8000 seat ice arena would be comparable. You can also use that arena to hold CIAC ice hockey championships.

Reaction Score
AHA caps, I believe, at 12. HE teams generally do around 18. It's not a huge increase, but an increase nonetheless.

The article says thet UConn does not offer any Hockey Scholarships. 18 is the upper limit for HE teams, not sure if there is a minimum. Guessing if they add 18 Men's Hockey scholarships they might need to add that many for woman's sports as well to keep things balanced.

UConn does not currently meet Hockey East standards in two way — its arena is too small, and it does not offer any athletic scholarships for hockey.

Reaction Score
A 8000-10500 seat on campus arena would be awesome....they already handle parking for games at Gampel with no big headaches so a 8000 seat ice arena would be comparable. You can also use that arena to hold CIAC ice hockey championships.
I doubt they'd go 8K, probably more in the 5 range. ND's new arena is 5. 8 is bigger than what everyone else in HE draws, so it's a bit unrealistic to think UConn would draw those numbers. Only Amherst's rink is above 8, and they only come close to filling it by giving out literally thousands and thousands of free tickets to students to fill half of the arena, and purposely looking the other way in terms of letting them bring alcohol into the games, so the students will continue to show up since they can get drunk at the game. Wish I were joking about that.

Reaction Score
The article says thet UConn does not offer any Hockey Scholarships. 18 is the upper limit for HE teams, not sure if there is a minimum. Guessing if they add 18 Men's Hockey scholarships they might need to add that many for woman's sports as well to keep things balanced.

UConn does not currently meet Hockey East standards in two way — its arena is too small, and it does not offer any athletic scholarships for hockey.
Eek, UConn doesn't offer any? Sheesh, yeah, then the increase would be far more. Wow, they really did let that program languish in the gutter.

Reaction Score
Eek, UConn doesn't offer any? Sheesh, yeah, then the increase would be far more. Wow, they really did let that program languish in the gutter.
I wouldn't at all be surprised if upgrading hockey was in Lew Perkins long range plan...only to be pushed aside by Jeff "Small Mind...Small Time" Hathaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom