OT: Men's Hockey Possibly to Hockey East | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Men's Hockey Possibly to Hockey East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Retrofitting an already built place for hockey costs more than building a place from scratch.

This was a problem at Boston U, and it sure as heck is a problem for Penn State.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Conard- West Hartford

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hall%20Warriors.jpg

Reaction Score
UNH shouldn't go FBS until they get more state support and better facilities. It'd be nice, and isn't a complete pipe dream, but they are many years away.

Hey: Oklahoma and Nebraska have NO BUSINESS being any good in football, yet became powerhouses over 50 years ago.
Collegiate sports are almost like professional minor leagues. The best markets have the most success. At the very least, this points to us going to the ACC. We'd be playing with Boston College, and ND would be joining, too.

Reaction Score
Retrofitting an already built place for hockey costs more than building a place from scratch.

This was a problem at Boston U, and it sure as heck is a problem for Penn State.
Having an alum give UConn $100 million dollars for the hockey program like PSU just got would be like pennies from heaven!!! They could get all their projects done in 1 shot!

Reaction Score
Collegiate sports are almost like professional minor leagues. The best markets have the most success. At the very least, this points to us going to the ACC. We'd be playing with Boston College, and ND would be joining, too.
Don't forget...the B1G just started their own hockey league.

Reaction Score
Having an alum give UConn $100 million dollars for the hockey program like PSU just got would be like pennies from heaven!!! They could get all their projects done in 1 shot!

What hindered them for so long however was that the Bryce Jordan Center, a pretty big campus arena, couldn't be retrofitted.

Reaction Score
This may have a lot more to do with the ACC than it appears. This may be a good jujitsu move by the UConn administration. If BC votes to allow UConn into HE, then the ACC could rightly ask them what would be their objection to UConn in the ACC if they elect to blackball UConn again.

Reaction Score
This may have a lot more to do with the ACC than it appears. This may be a good jujitsu move by the UConn administration. If BC votes to allow UConn into HE, then the ACC could rightly ask them what would be their objection to UConn in the ACC if they elect to blackball UConn again.

Coming right after excluding BC as a destination for Oriaki.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Ay, but the answer is easy. Hockey is a different beast. It's completely regionalized. None of the "all sports" leagues exist in hockey, other than the Big Ten, and they haven't even started play yet, so schools are not forced to play games against conference opponents 1,000 miles away.

And the driving force behind why the "all-sports" conferences have spread themselves so far and wide in the first place, TV money, is nearly non-existent. For this reason, hockey is the one college sport that still mostly resembles the regional model that conferences used to employ.

Hockey is unique amongst all other college sports in these respects and therefore BCU could probably feel justified in allowing UConn inclusion into a hockey league but barring their inclusion for an all-sports league.

Reaction Score
A few things:

1. The XL Center is not even part of the answer. If you play there for a year or two while building on campus, so be it, but it's hard enough getting students to the XL for hoops. The XL Center for pucks would be a morgue and the experiment would quickly fail.

2. Hockey and Lacrosse are the two NCAA mens sports that our location would allow us to develop competitively in but, to be fair to this decision (if it has been made), there are a lot more schools who are break even or better financially in hockey than in lacrosse.

3. Yes, part of this analysis by the administration would be making us a more attractive candidate for the next round of conference expansion. How could it not be?

Reaction Score
Actually, of all the sports that would probably be better off in Hartford, it's hockey. much more so than basketball and football which benefit more from a campus environment. Hockey has a more dedicated non-student base.

U

UConn9604

2. Hockey and Lacrosse are the two NCAA mens sports that our location would allow us to develop competitively in but, to be fair to this decision (if it has been made), there are a lot more schools who are break even or better financially in hockey than in lacrosse.

Is this true? Not calling you out for being wrong, I just would have thought it would be the opposite (similar equipment costs but lower facility overhead for lacrosse vs. hockey).

Reaction Score
My UCONN hockey following days go pretty gar back...I actually did color for a game on WHUS at the old outdoor rink...man was that place cold...I'd be absolutely thrilled with this move. And while I don't love the XL Center as a home, it is simply too big and even if you have a successful program, it will always feel empty...as ann interim step I'd say go for it. Probably play the season there much like the basketball team did in pre-Gampel Days...non-conference games at Frietas and maybe a few lesser league games (UMass-Lowell, Vermont Merrimack) whith BC, BU, and the other Big names at XL. The goal ought to be a 4-5000+- seat on campus arena. I know HEA says its "requirement is 5000, but virtually nobody has that. Even Agganis is only around 4500 I think. Schnieder Arena at Providence and Merrimack are both around 3000-3500 I think. So I doubt there is too much problem with an arena in the 4500 range.

Now my regular defense of Bruce Marshall...first off, I'm not suggesting for a second that he is another Jerry York or Jack Parker (god am I old...my first college game I saw York play) . But he isn't some bum either. If you look at his record it is at least credible given the limitations...In the old D-3 daus he built UCONN into a regional power of some renown. Took them to the ECAC Championship game at least once, maybe twice. As a D-1 school, they were ineligible for the NCAA D-3 tourney under the rules at the time. In the D-1 era he has been playing a pretty tough hand...UCONN has no hockey scholarships right now while the league has allowed 11-12 since its inception. The NCAA limit is 18. None the less he has managed most years to put at least competitive teams on the ice. There have been a few duds, but for the most part, the program has always managed to rebound and become competitive in the league again. They ususally manage an non-conference win along the way, which is likewise a mismatch in terms of who they recruit vs their opponents. This year's team sort of fell apart late in the year, which was disappointing, too. But given that Bruce is forever searching for diamonds in the rough, and he has found a few, he hasn't been as bad as some say, in my view.

Reaction Score
Is this true? Not calling you out for being wrong, I just would have thought it would be the opposite (similar equipment costs but lower facility overhead for lacrosse vs. hockey).

I don't know where to find numbers, but there are more than a score of hockey teams who sell more than 3 or 4 k tickets per game, and many with local TV contracts. I don't think there are many lacrosse programs who measure their attendance in the thousands, or that have TV coverage.

So I know I've read this, but could not point you to a source.

U

UConn9604

I don't know where to find numbers, but there are more than a score of hockey teams who sell more than 3 or 4 k tickets per game, and many with local TV contracts. I don't think there are many lacrosse programs who measure their attendance in the thousands, or that have TV coverage.

So I know I've read this, but could not point you to a source.

That's fair. At least for the lacrosse Final Four, it seems that the typical national contenders can draw a crowd, but beyond the top 10 or so schools, it's easy to believe that a hockey program like a Quinnipiac could outdraw most lacrosse programs (not to mention TV).

Reaction Score
Anyone suggesting the use of Freitas at all - it is NOT an option. HE has a bylaw stating all new members MUST play in an arena that is at least 5K. This law was instituted after UVM's inclusion into the league, and all teams with smaller rinks were grandfathered in without the expectation of them upgrading their facilities. But playing in 2,000 capacity Freitas for any games is 100% not an option at all.

Reaction Score
Lol at bcu. Keep laughing. That's ok. If we go we will not be relevant for at least a little while. You can see the same fear rear it's head just like the football side did. UConn is a sleeping giant in hockey. You guys are so right that some of the best talent in hockey comes from right here in ct and in the new england and eastern Canada that is all an easy drive for parents. As far as the stadium goes I'd love to see it on campus or at least "close". close is good cause they serve beer. I'm sorry to all you teetotalers but selling beer on site equals asses in seats. You can call it whatever you want, but honestly you can turn a hockey game into a party by selling beer at a game. Go ahead and tell me we would be reading rg3 talking about the loudest stadium if you had to drive and fight traffic to get to storrs for a game, try to park and sneak a few beers in the north parking garage like we used to. Our attendance would be abysmal if you ask me. I know you want to see a football stadium at storrs, Dan, but I think it's a non-starter. Bottom line is count me in as a season ticket holder if they go hockey east no matter where they are.!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Lol at bcu. Keep laughing. That's ok. If we go we will not be relevant for at least a little while. You can see the same fear rear it's head just like the football side did. UConn is a sleeping giant in hockey. You guys are so right that some of the best talent in hockey comes from right here in ct and in the new england and eastern Canada that is all an easy drive for parents. As far as the stadium goes I'd love to see it on campus or at least "close". close is good cause they serve beer. I'm sorry to all you teetotalers but selling beer on site equals asses in seats. You can call it whatever you want, but honestly you can turn a hockey game into a party by selling beer at a game. Go ahead and tell me we would be reading rg3 talking about the loudest stadium if you had to drive and fight traffic to get to storrs for a game, try to park and sneak a few beers in the north parking garage like we used to. Our attendance would be abysmal if you ask me. I know you want to see a football stadium at storrs, Dan, but I think it's a non-starter. Bottom line is count me in as a season ticket holder if they go hockey east no matter where they are.!

i can't argue the beer thing at all, i'm with u on that. thats why i always say "on campus or down the street". i think there are several interesting things going on here with the fanbase. i got 2 texts from wneu kids that i havn't talked to in a while, both hartford area guys who played puck in hs. they both wanted to talk uconn puck knowing the fball fan i am and how cool its going to be. i think putting a minor league team in hartford doesn't draw becuase no one gives a about a whale.

now take the fact that the nhl "will never come back blah blah" and combine that with a uconn fanbase that enjoys downtown and combine that with a puck fanbase thats starving for something puck wise that means something. i think you can get 5k+ for some HE games next year in XL. what you do is play in xl for a couple years into gampel is all done, then move the team up there. what you just did was grab the fanbase and gave them a preview of the program building. now they are hooked and instead of going to whale games, they make the trip on friday nights to storrs to have a couple drinks(at your fav back in the day place) and watch the game.

if uconn puck in xl those first couple years got good #'s, then why move it. i'm sure thats a tough thing to think about also.

i think you can get waviers to serve beer in arenas correct? for example up at wne there has been a plan in place for a while but it will never go thru. on the edge of campus bud was going to front the $$ for a rink as long as there was a bar in the place. i think as long as you dont advertise beer then u can serve it with ncaa aproval. having Bud rink being the name of the place would work under that rule. maybe i have it wrong?

i'm fine with either of these 2 things:
1-concentrate possible profit sports in hartford for the future. play both bballs, puck and fball in hartford. the whale then have to go. hartford needs to be uconns city and nothing else. if this is going to happen then the school needs to figure out better ways for student to ge there and also more seating for them(i don't care if its $5 tix at events). this is the best possible why to grab and create fanbase outside of campus students, the risk here is making sure that the students are still getting a positive expierenc ein uconn sporting for creating future fans/$$.

2-make hartford for fball and some bball. everything else on campus. i think like the schools puts up good #'s for soccer, that can spill over to puck eventually on campus. all these sports are getting new fields or w/e soon. bball and fball will be the fanbase catchers in hartford.

i think warde and susan will figure out the best possible situation for it and i can't wait to hear about it. this will be one of wardes first tests imo. lets see what happens. i'm still 100% on things being in storrs but i'm not against others if its upgrading etc....

also just to stir something up, doesn't the acc not allow beer at fball stadiums? so then who cares where the stadium is....

Reaction Score
UConn hasn't even funded the basketball practice facility. How can we fund a hockey arena and facilities?

While I admit HE hockey makes sense. It would seem to be quite a few years in the future. Where am I wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom