OT: Men's Hockey Possibly to Hockey East | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Men's Hockey Possibly to Hockey East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cornell's Lynah is only about 5k and it's jam packed - gottat give students alot of the tickets. Been to a couple of games, sitting in the student section on the glass at the blue line - one of the best venues. Great tradition - no reason we can't get there.
4,200. plus, Cornell has been playing hockey for almost 100 years and has multiple national titles, and no other major sports. not the greatest school to use as a comparison, but you're 100% right that hockey fanbases start with students/alumni and local youth teams. that's why playing games in Hartford would be a horrible idea. The students won't show up, it would cost the youth teams more to go to the game with higher parking/concessions costs, not to mention the atmosphere of playing in front of 11,000 empty seats would be horrendous. from a recruiting perspective, you can go to uconn and bus 40 minutes to every home game and play in an old, cavernous, empty building, or you can play at a place like lowell or amherst (realistic schools to recruit against), play on campus in front of more students, and have over half the place full every night.

Reaction Score
It'll be a few years before it comes back probably, I think the NCAA is a little concerned that it did not sell out. But fan reviews are mostly very positive. They do have a "rotation" for the FF to get it to Boston, Detroit, Minnesota, and Denver, and then throw in some other hotbeds like Pittsburgh/Philly/DC. There's a lot of rumblings that it'll go to Nashville, and a lot of people want a FF in Chicago for obvious reasons.

I'll say that Jeff Vincik, the Lightning owner, is trying to promote hockey here. The Lightning got a team that might be in the playoffs next year (our goaltending was bad this year) if we get a goalie.
Youth hockey is getting popular here. Of course, it won't be like it is up in New England, Minnesota or Canada, but you'll see kids from Florida in the NHL in about 5 to 10 years.

Boston needs to get its act together and submit something more than a half-assed bid, they've been passed over twice because of the Jacobs' family/city's inability to submit something worthwhile. They think they can write their name in crayon on a piece of paper and get it whenever they want. In reality, if they submit a realistic bid, they will get it since it hasn't been here since 2004, but the success of places like DC, Tampa, etc. means the NCAA isn't going to award it because the name on the paper says Boston. Of course, this pisses off all of us HE fans because we have to travel far for a FF when there's a huge hotbed in our backyard. If UConn does make the move, and the FF comes back here, it would be a really great event for fans to drive up and see, lots and lots of fun, especially if one of the Boston teams is in it.

I think Boston would be a great place to host the Frozen Four. If Hartford would replace the HCC/ XL Center...maybe Hartford would have one.

Reaction Score
Boston has hosted many FF's, but none since 2004, and none through 2014, which is a long drought for a place like this. Hartford has no shot, too small. The NCAA has shown they're moving away from small-ish cities that they used to do, such as Buffalo, Cincinnati, Albany, Providence, etc. They want to keep it in larger and bigger sports towns like Pittsburgh, Philly, DC, etc. in addition to the usual rotation of Minnesota/Detroit/Denver/Boston.

Reaction Score
I'll say that Jeff Vincik, the Lightning owner, is trying to promote hockey here. The Lightning got a team that might be in the playoffs next year (our goaltending was bad this year) if we get a goalie.
Youth hockey is getting popular here. Of course, it won't be like it is up in New England, Minnesota or Canada, but you'll see kids from Florida in the NHL in about 5 to 10 years.

I think Boston would be a great place to host the Frozen Four. If Hartford would replace the HCC/ XL Center...maybe Hartford would have one.
Hartford would more likely be a site for a Regional. Manchester, New hampshire, Bridgeport, those are the kind of cities that host regionals. The NCAA is trying to move the Finals to major centers.

As to the growth of youth hockey in florida, I tend to agree to at least some point. You are already seeing players from Florida showing up on college rosters...not by the hundreds by any stretch, but a few here and there.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
A lot of folks don't realize that the players LOVE playing in cities like Phoenix, Miami and Tampa. They can golf year-round, the weather is great, there's no state taxes in the two states mentioned, you get a ton of cash, and can live in anonymity in the city.

For players, this isn't my-city-cares-more-than-your-city stuff. These are quality of life decisions.

Phoenix beats Edmonton. Senseless.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
BCU had a great year and a nice run through the NCAAT on the way to another ship. I hope I wasn't the only one that enjoyed the fact that all this UConn puck talk happened during there most important time of year. Those fans had to listen and hate the rumors of UConn upgrading while trying to enjoy there great season ending in a ship. LOL

Reaction Score
BCU had a great year and a nice run through the NCAAT on the way to another ship. I hope I wasn't the only one that enjoyed the fact that all this UConn puck talk happened during there most important time of year. Those fans had to listen and hate the rumors of UConn upgrading while trying to enjoy there great season ending in a ship. LOL

I can guarantee you they didn't give one crap about UConn joining HE, and quite honestly, they shouldn't have. UConn's not going to be able to compete or recruit against them consistently for a long time. Then again, right now, no one else in the country is competing or recruiting against them. But if you listen to the discussion amongst their fans, they really didn't care much at all about UConn joining, and it wasn't a very big story compared to what they achieved.

Reaction Score
Hartford would more likely be a site for a Regional. Manchester, New hampshire, Bridgeport, those are the kind of cities that host regionals. The NCAA is trying to move the Finals to major centers.

With a new arena....Hartford could enjoy a few regionals (MBB and Hockey).

As to the growth of youth hockey in florida, I tend to agree to at least some point. You are already seeing players from Florida showing up on college rosters...not by the hundreds by any stretch, but a few here and there.

True... but with people moving to low tax states and right to work states, you might see more Texans, Floridians and Georgians in the NHL... and also I was looking at the IIHF website... and who knows WHEN you'll see an Arab in the NHL...(Turkey is ranked #37)

Reaction Score
... and who knows WHEN you'll see an Arab in the NHL...(Turkey is ranked #37)
The latter may be accurate, but the purported Arab would have to be quite the minority if he was from Turkey. The vast majority of Turks are Turkic and Central Asian with a smaller percentage of European background. By contrast, even fewer Turks are Arab.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
and who knows WHEN you'll see an Arab in the NHL...(Turkey is ranked #37)

Probably sooner than you think with the number of Muslim immigrants in Scandinavia and Canada. A fair number of whom are from Arab nations. The one thing I always get a kick out of are the Indian kids (not Native American, just to make the distinction) playing hockey with my son in his youth league. There's just something wonderfully incongruous about an Indian hockey player.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Per Jacobs this morning, Malloy is pushing for games in Hartford. Anything other than the holiday tournaments and games during school.breaks would be a huge (UUUGE) mistake. I hope someone can convince him of this.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Probably sooner than you think with the number of Muslim immigrants in Scandinavia and Canada. A fair number of whom are from Arab nations. The one thing I always get a kick out of are the Indian kids (not Native American, just to make the distinction) playing hockey with my son in his youth league. There's just something wonderfully incongruous about an Indian hockey player.
For years it was a schock to see African American players, though they are still relatively rare. But like all sports I guess if you are raised in an area where hockey is played, it is pretty likely that you'll play at least some exposure to hockey and you might even play it.

Reaction Score
The latter may be accurate, but the purported Arab would have to be quite the minority if he was from Turkey. The vast majority of Turks are Turkic and Central Asian with a smaller percentage of European background. By contrast, even fewer Turks are Arab.

Yes, I did goofed up on that statement. UAE is a member of the IIHF, thou...

Reaction Score

India is a member of IIHF... I think you'll see some players from the non-traditional nations. I think that you might see Somalians in the NHL (since Maine got a bunch in Auburn). Anyone for a Jamaican Ice Hockey Team in the Olympics? :)

Reaction Score
Per Jacobs this morning, Malloy is pushing for games in Hartford. Anything other than the holiday tournaments and games during school.breaks would be a huge (UUUGE) mistake. I hope someone can convince him of this.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Malloy please do your job...wrecking the ECONOMY of Connecticut. :) Please don't tell UCONN where to play HE hockey.

Reaction Score
For years it was a schock to see African American players, though they are still relatively rare. But like all sports I guess if you are raised in an area where hockey is played, it is pretty likely that you'll play at least some exposure to hockey and you might even play it.

Free Scooter:

When 'Newfie' was with the Whalers, tthe Courant said that Afro-American participation in hockey jumped 25% IIRC.

Reaction Score
Boston has hosted many FF's, but none since 2004, and none through 2014, which is a long drought for a place like this. Hartford has no shot, too small. The NCAA has shown they're moving away from small-ish cities that they used to do, such as Buffalo, Cincinnati, Albany, Providence, etc. They want to keep it in larger and bigger sports towns like Pittsburgh, Philly, DC, etc. in addition to the usual rotation of Minnesota/Detroit/Denver/Boston.

Err, Pitt is the size of Cincy and Buffalo. All three cities are quite similar, bigger than Albany and Providence.

Detroit is just depressing.

Reaction Score
Err, Pitt is the size of Cincy and Buffalo. All three cities are quite similar, bigger than Albany and Providence.

Detroit is just depressing.
Size-wise it's the same, but they also have a brand new building, and it's a far superior sports town in general to either place. Yes, Detroit sucks, but with all of the Michigan schools, it has to happen. Heck, they filled up almost 38K seats for the FF at Ford Field with no Michigan teams playing in it.

Reaction Score
Size-wise it's the same, but they also have a brand new building, and it's a far superior sports town in general to either place. Yes, Detroit sucks, but with all of the Michigan schools, it has to happen. Heck, they filled up almost 38K seats for the FF at Ford Field with no Michigan teams playing in it.

I'll tell you this. Pitt can't hold a candle to hockey enthusiasm in Buffalo. This place has hosted world juniors championships recently, and all the arenas were packed (Niagara U., First Niagara Center, Rochester's Blue Cross, etc.) It's a hockey town.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score

My wife is from Winnipeg... It's a whole different deal. Here you have to put in a fair amount of effort to have your kid play hockey. Up there where every corner park has a rink and in it and every kid plays after school... you'd have to try hard not to be exposed and play.

Reaction Score

Metro Populations
Pitt = 2.4 million
Cinc = 2.1
Buffalo = 1.1

Reaction Score
Metro Populations
Pitt = 2.4 million
Cinc = 2.1
Buffalo = 1.1

Depends on what you mean by metro. A person from Connecticut well knows that Hartford and New Haven are one market, but aren't treated as such. I live in downtown Buffalo. 2 minutes from me, there's a city with 800k people not counted as Buffalo metro--25 minutes to the north there's another city (Niagara Falls) with 200k in its metro area.

Reaction Score
Depends on what you mean by metro.

As defined by the US Census Bureau. Erie & Niagara Counties, NY.

Yes, that excludes Canada, but St Catherines + Niag Falls + etc are only about 300k.

Reaction Score
As defined by the US Census Bureau. Erie & Niagara Counties, NY.

Yes, that excludes Canada, but St Catherines + Niag Falls + etc are only about 300k.

Eh, a little more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_Municipality_of_Niagara,_Ontario

But I was off with my estimate: I thought 500,000.

Just to outline what we're talking about: the Pittsburgh metro area is 5,706 square miles. The Buffalo metro area is 1,567 square miles. If I extend from Buffalo the same distance I extend from the center of Pitt, they have the same pops (without venturing into Hamilton/Burlington). I'm down in Pittsburgh often, and it doesn't seem any denser to me. Cities are about the same size as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom