OT - Memorial Day | The Boneyard

OT - Memorial Day

Reaction Score
For those who wear or have ever honorably worn one of the uniforms of our great country, I thank you for your service. You are all my Brothers and Sisters, and I don't give a damn if you served in some far away hell hole or in an office in small town USA. When you put that uniform on, you signed a blank check and handed it to Uncle Sam. He could have cashed it for anything he wanted. All gave some, but some gave all. This holiday is a good time to remember all of those who never made it back to live in peace. styxx

Reaction Score
For those who wear or have ever honorably worn one of the uniforms of our great country, I thank you for your service. You are all my Brothers and Sisters, and I don't give a damn if you served in some far away hell hole or in an office in small town USA. When you put that uniform on, you signed a blank check and handed it to Uncle Sam. He could have cashed it for anything he wanted. All gave some, but some gave all. This holiday is a good time to remember all of those who never made it back to live in peace. styxx
EA65A580-982A-4873-8A68-FEDA3B7C60C8.jpeg

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Please put your flag out on Memorial Day to show that we remember those that didn't make it home. If you can, visit your nearest State or National Military/Veterns cemetery this weekend.

Reaction Score
Anyone who plays any kind of instrument should join thousands of others all across the country by playing TAPS at 3:00 PM eastern.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Fortunate that my family members who served did survive. But for them, with knowing many comrades who didn't, Memorial Day was always special, especially my Dad who saw so much loss at the airfield where he was a ground mechanic in England in WWII. Returning bombers often contained the dead and dying, shot up during the bombing run or while in transit. And of course, some never returned.

When I was young, my town had a parade on Memorial Day, with various groups of Vets remembering their fallen. It was followed by a ceremony at a memorial to all the deceased townsfolk who had served, a considerable list since my town's population when I was growing up was 60,000. At the time there were still WWI veterans in the group. My Dad would reminisce of Veteran's Parades of his youth - with gradually dwindling numbers of Civil War veterans remembering the lost of that war.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
When I lived in the DC burbs, I went to DC just to visit the Vietnam Memorial. I found the name of the friend that I was looking for. It was a life changing experience.
All gave some, some gave all! :(

Reaction Score
When I lived in the DC burbs, I went to DC just to visit the Vietnam Memorial. I found the name of the friend that I was looking for. It was a life changing experience.
All gave some, some gave all! :(
I scoured the portable wall when it was in Illinois for names from my Basic Training Company. All of them somehow came out of that war alive, much to my relief.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Coming to Norwalk this week. . June 2-5 Seaview Ave Norwalk CT The Wall That Heals No Admission plus an Educational Center

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
In the 60s, most Memorial Days, in my teens in Forestville, CT, I was honored to be the Echo Taps Bugler, far out of site on a distant hill, echoing the deeply felt "goodbye" to all our fallen, in all lands. Our cry resonated over graves and all those left behind, no matter our beliefs, and overtook any other cares we may have had going on... R.I.P to all our fallen.
http://www.militarywives.com/.../Bugle/taps-echo-duet2.mp3
Echo Taps

MILITARYWIVES.COM
Echo Taps
Echo Taps is a custom of sounding the call with two buglers standing at some distance apart to achieve an echo effect.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
In the 60s, most Memorial Days, in my teens in Forestville, CT, I was honored to be the Echo Taps Bugler, far out of site on a distant hill, echoing the deeply felt "goodbye" to all our fallen, in all lands. Our cry resonated over graves and all those left behind, no matter our beliefs, and overtook any other cares we may have had going on... R.I.P to all our fallen.
http://www.militarywives.com/.../Bugle/taps-echo-duet2.mp3
Echo Taps

MILITARYWIVES.COM
Echo Taps
Echo Taps is a custom of sounding the call with two buglers standing at some distance apart to achieve an echo effect.
Saddest song ever. I've heard it too many times.

Reaction Score
Visited the cemeteries for my Dad in Hamden and my Stepfather and Father in Law in Manchester this weekend…..all survivors of the Pacific Theater. Just beautiful seeing the gravesite flags flapping in the wind. Beautiful, solemn visits . Be grateful for what we have and remember those who gave.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Saddest song ever. I've heard it too many times.
Since it is a Bugle call not a song, per se, I don’t believe there are actually words for it, although people have adapted some to it over the years. This is my favorite:

Day is done, gone the sun,
From the lake, from the hills, from the sky;
All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.

Fading light, dims the sight,
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright.
From afar, drawing nigh, falls the night.

Thanks and praise, for our days,
'Neath the sun, 'neath the stars, neath the sky;
As we go, this we know, God is nigh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer