OT Maui Information | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Maui Information

Reaction Score
Well if you take United it might be worth the extra money to get Economy Plus. I just flew to CA and back on a United 737-800. More leg room in Economy Plus, seats are closer to the front of the plane, you get to pick your seats (as opposed to Economy where they put you in middle seats a lot of the time and sometimes not even next to the people you are traveling with), we got food in Economy Plus and there was no meal served in Economy (you could buy food, which is ridiculous for a 6 hour flight), and not a huge deal but the movie selection at your seat is much more extensive than Economy.

Haven't flown American in a long time.

In terms of areas to stay, we stayed in Kannapali at the Hyatt Regency when we went to Maui. Kaanapali had a lot of restaurants and night life compared to most of the island. And it was only 15-20 minutes from Lahaina, which was a cool little town with stuff to do. But that was 24 years ago so I'm sure more of the island is built up than when we were there.

Stuff to do. If I was there again I would take one of the bike tours down Haleakala. We woke up at 2:30 am and drove up Haleakala to see the sun rise. Was it worth all the effort? I'd say no. I should have done the bike ride instead. Bring warm clothes if you go up there. It was about 32 degrees at the top.

It's a very long drive, but some people rave about doing the drive to Hana. We didn't do it because I didn't feel like being in a car all day long. If you decide to go do your research and know where to stop for the hidden sights off the road (waterfalls, etc.).

Went on a snorkeling trip on a catamaran. It was good but not any better than doing it in most places in the Caribbean.

Went to a Luau. Kind of one of those things you need to do when you go to Hawaii.

Can't even remember what else we did.

My wife wants to go next time UConn is in the Maui Invitational. I'm up for it.
I did the ride to Hana. Definitely not worth it. Think of the Beatles song "The Long and Winding Road" and it just lasts forever.

Reaction Score
South of Wailea is a National Sea Underwater Park with phenomenal snorkeling. You will need to take your snorkeling gear with you but the park is free, or at least was free when last there.

This place is called Ahihi Marine Reserve. Incredible snorkeling. Go very early in the morning for best conditions.
Also, biking down Haleakala is very dangerous, tourists DIE doing this every year. Be extremely careful and follow ALL instructions!
Sunrise at Haleakala is very special. Take the blankets from your hotel, you will freeze up there.
I think the road to Hana is great but recommend spending at least one night in Hana, so you don't have to go up and back in one day and can take your time getting there.
Skip Twin Falls, notorious for car break ins, water is polluted, very touristy.
Be very careful in all fresh water in Hawaii. Read up on leptospirosis to understand why.

Reaction Score
Stayed at the Royal Lahaina in 2010 and loved it. Thought at the time it was reasonably priced, not sure that’s the case anymore. Luau right at the hotel which was great. Whale watching right from the Tiki bar. Too many Mai Tais to remember all the details, enjoy wherever you end up!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the information. I guess I should have added a little information.

First, I live in Los Angeles, so it's not such a long flight and being that I don't travel often, I always spring for first class domestically.

I've been to Kauai for my honeymoon 10 years ago - awesome place! We just spent a week on the Big Island (Kona) and a week on Oahu (Waianae) last fall. I also went to Maui in 05 for the Maui Invitational with some friends and we did nothing but golf, watch basketball and drink and I saw nothing of the island. My wife spent a day there as part of a Hawaii cruise, so it's really the only big island we haven't explored - hence the choice over the other islands.

Again, thanks for the recommendations - still not completely decided on which property to stay at, but I'll figure it out tomorrow. I love the restaurant suggestions - looking forward to trying as many as possible.

The Boneyard - your travel agent on the web!

Reaction Score
1000 hairpin turns. That’s the road to Hana. Car sickness as a passenger. I would either skip it or take a chopper ride there. Grand Wailea and 4 Seasons (where I sat next to Joe Montana on the beach) are next to each other, real nice beach, both pricey. Tough to make a mistake in Maui wherever you stay as nice as it is.

Reaction Score
1000 hairpin turns. That’s the road to Hana. Car sickness as a passenger. I would either skip it or take a chopper ride there. Grand Wailea and 4 Seasons (where I sat next to Joe Montana on the beach) are next to each other, real nice beach, both pricey. Tough to make a mistake in Maui wherever you stay as nice as it is.
Just a mile or so past Hana is Koki Beach, beautiful place, but stay out of the water, the currents can be deadly, especially in the winter months.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It seems we can't travel to places without asking for Boneyard recommendations. So on a whim, we've decided to go to Maui next month.

First off: United or American: United is a Boeing 737-800, American is Airbus an A321. Any thoughts?

Next is where to stay. I'm debating between Aston Maui Kaanapali Vistas and Grand Wailea Resort Hotel and Spa. Does anyone have any experience with either? The second is over $150 more per night - is that worth it?

Are there other quality places I should be considering (definitely under $400/night -hopefully much more, but still solid quality). I want to be in a relatively big resort so there are different areas to go to things, eat at, see, swim, etc.

Finally, anything I should definitely do or see in Maui?

FLIGHT: All about the layover. DFW>ORD outbound. Inbound is usually a red eye so it matters less. LAX is OK, Wolfgang Puck has a decent food court restaurant.

HOTEL, Grand Wailea is nice, don't know about the other. Consider which part it island you what to stay at. GW is south of Kehei and on the more isolated part of the island. The road isn't always passable beyond Makena. Your rental car is banned from continuing. Kaanapalli is the tourist drag with more options. I like the Sheraton and W over there.

What to do? Buy the book Maui Revealed.

In no particular order:
Makena Beach
Road to Hana (book is essential)
Haleakala sunrise / Bike down if they still allow that
Old Lahaina town
Ho'okepa beach to watch kite surfers
Day trip to Lanai
Snorkeling in Honolua Bay

GET A PLATE LUNCH somewhere. I like Da Kitchen in Kehei.

Reaction Score
Spent 7 nights at Grand Wailea for honeymoon. 100% endorsement. Possibly the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at. It's a wonderful island. Enjoy.

Reaction Score
We went to Hawaii in March via American Airlines, flying first as McLovin did. Not a great trip out, as we had one delay that stretched into another delay in LA; spend hours in their lounge. Great trip back with full beds on a red-eye.
Didn't visit Maui, but did stop at every other island. We went to Maui years ago, and I recall liking the Four Seasons more than the Grand Wailea, which I think was next door. We loved the road to Hana - lots of great stops, with a black sand beach along the way, and continuing to a series of pools/waterfalls past Hana. A lot depends if you like nature, as there was little development along the way back then. We found the ride back surprisingly easier at night; you can see cars approaching a long way off, allowing you to cut corners. If I was returning, I'd spend a couple nights at the hotel out there for a change of pace.
If you want to visit another island, it's a ferry ride to Lanai, where we spent a week. Depending on the time of year, lots of whales between the two islands and off shore Lanai. The Four Seasons on Lanai has an incredible golf course.

Reaction Score
FLIGHT: All about the layover. DFW>ORD outbound. Inbound is usually a red eye so it matters less. LAX is OK, Wolfgang Puck has a decent food court restaurant.
Since jleves is flying from LA the only layover he could possibly have would be in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. :)

Reaction Score
Mixed reactions to the road to Hana. I personally recommend it but it’s not for everyone. The two girls in the car with me (one being my wife and the other her sister) both easily get motion sickness. The road is long and windy with sharp turns and hills. It’s engulfed in hawaian nature so if you don’t care for nature and it’s beauty honestly don’t go.

On the flip side I love driving on those types of windy roads as it’s just different from any other way I get to drive a car. The stops (black sand beach, red sand beach, food stops along the way, small towns) are all great. Myself and the only other man in the car truly enjoyed it. Not saying a women can’t - just these particular 3 did not. There is an app that you can download which is pretty much a personal virtual tour guide. It uses google maps I think and tracks where you are and when you hit important points on the road the guide will speak. It has tips while driving about note worthy places to stop, driving tips, and interesting info about the landmark.

Apart from that try as much local fruit and vegetables as you can and hit up as many local food spots. The touristy ones are good but after one or two you know what to expect. Try a helicopter ride as well if you can. Definitely to for the sunrise above the clouds as well. Snorkeling on the beach is also great!

Enjoy your trip!

Reaction Score
You could look into condo rentals. We went a long time ago in the 80s and we got a condo on the water in Maui just north of Lahaina for about the same as a hotel.

Reaction Score
It seems we can't travel to places without asking for Boneyard recommendations. So on a whim, we've decided to go to Maui next month.

First off: United or American: United is a Boeing 737-800, American is Airbus an A321. Any thoughts?

Next is where to stay. I'm debating between Aston Maui Kaanapali Vistas and Grand Wailea Resort Hotel and Spa. Does anyone have any experience with either? The second is over $150 more per night - is that worth it?

Are there other quality places I should be considering (definitely under $400/night -hopefully much more, but still solid quality). I want to be in a relatively big resort so there are different areas to go to things, eat at, see, swim, etc.

Finally, anything I should definitely do or see in Maui?
I lived in Maui for 4 years from 2008-2012, went back in 2014, 2016, and just took my wife there for our honeymoom last month. I would be more than happy to give you the best recommendations. I have a huge word document I give friends or co-workers going there. There are many things I’d pass on which have been mentioned in this thread but there are also plenty of top notch recommendations also. My question for you would be more along the lines of what you wanted out of the trip. Are you an avid hiker or want to be out in nature a lot? Or would you prefer a top notch resort that is all inclusive? Are you more of a mix of everything?

There are definitely a lot of recommendations I’d make, but I would rather know if you are looking for something specific out of the trip. My personal top 5 would be:
1. The Road to Hana for sure and definitely leave early as someone else mentioned. Unfortunately this has become WAY more crowded than it ever was 10 years ago, so I’d skip most of it until you reached black sand beach and red sand beach as mentioned. Spend more time at Red Sand Beach. There will be fewer people there. As you make your way to the National Park stop around mile marker 42 for Venus Pools. You just have to park nearby and make sure the land owner doesn’t have a no trespassing signs up and you are good to go with your own natural pool if your there early enough. Take the back route from Hana if your willing. I think its worth it. Word of caution to be extremely careful if you hike other trails on road to Hana. So many more people getting lost stranded or die here than you hear about.
2. Mamas Fish House is definitely good, but I have found Merriman’s in Kapalua to be a better choice. Either way you need reservations weeks/months in advance. Eat at some local places for lunch/breakfast too. 808 Deli and Da Kitchen are great options with Da Kitchen being all local style food.
3. Taco Tuesday at Freds Mexican Cafe in Kihei. Cheap margaritas and tacos. It gets very crowded and you can’t make reservations.
4. Sunday nights at Little Beach. It’s just a different experience on Sunday nights. It is next to Big Beach (Makena Beach is actual name). This is a nude beach and folks will definitely be taking advantage of that. There is a drum circle and fire dancing. Quite obviously you will be offered items you can choose to partake in at your leisure lol.
5. Thursday nights at dog n duck Irish pub in Kihei. This is the best trivia night I have ever been too. I used to go every Thursday night and had a blast.

Other than that I would want to know more of what interested you I guess. I can email you my word document if you would like.

Reaction Score
Been there 4x in the last 7 years while living on the east coast. One honeymoon and three work prize trips.

My assumption based on the lack of detail given is that you’re kidless and not a golfer. There wasn’t anything on length which can make a difference on which trips to do.

I third (fourth?) the comments about Mamas fish house. As good as it gets. Go for the sashimi. It taste like candy.

Read about the road to Hana and you’ll know whether or not you want to go. Driving down windy (albeit extremely beautiful roads) to get to beaches/cliffs pools and spending a whole day doing it is either exactly what you went there to do or NOT do. I did it once when I was there for 2 weeks but it is tough to redo when you’re only there for a week. Leave early in the morning and do this early in the trip.

If you are doing the adult thing then wailea is def worth the money. Kaanapali is where I’d go if I had a smaller budget and kids under 15. If you have a good budget and kids then I’d do the grand wailea. Their pool setup is awesome and I had a crazy time there in May.

Get an oceanfront room. I know it will be more than budget, but you can save a lot of money. Getting a mixed drink there is $20 a drink. If you have a good room with a good view you will be satisfied with getting a good base in at your room.

There is a Costco about 5 minutes from the airport. Every time I go I get liquor wine and snacks there. POG and vodka or Rum is my go-to. Plenty of grocery stores as well. My main point here is that you can get an ocean front room with $150 worth of supplies and be in heaven vs paying $20 a drink or $200+ a day for a cabana so you can hang out by the ocean.

The snorkeling is wailea is really really good so long as the chop is down. If the waves are up and the visibility is spotty then wait it out and go a couple hours later. When the water conditions are right the snorkeling here is much better than I saw at Molokini. It was fun to see dolphins swimming by the boat but for pure snorkeling I liked wailea better (my favorite was the beach/cove by the four seasons on lanai). Snorkeling in kaanapali is also great.

The mud buggy tours are really fun and offer great views. Wear clothes you don’t care about being red forever.

If you want to do Haleakala do it when you first get to the island as you’ll already be waking up super early and getting to a bus early will be easy. I did sunset there and learned two things: sunrise is better there and driving down a windy road full of cliffs in the dark is scary. Take a bus and bike down. Driving on your own is stressful.

Last and most important: if you are flying with someone else, have one person get the baggage and one person go immediately to the car rental place. I’ve rented from a couple of places there and the lines get super long and the last thing you want to do after 13 hours of travel is to wait more than an hour to get your car. If your bags come late you’ll be waiting behind your entire plane and it’s super frustrating. I think budget has a speed pickup program.

Going to bed. See ya. Have a great time.

Reaction Score
I’ll add my 2 cents. I’m in the pro road to Hana club.

My recommendations:
1) add more time to your trip.
2) consider a few days at Four Seasons Resort Oahu at Ko Olina. I’d suggest on your way to Maui. It used to be JW Marriott ilihani. This will be memorable. If you haven’t been to Pearl Harbor take the time to do it once in your life. Maybe not spend Resort time to do it, but after you check out and before you hop to Maui.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Snorkel at Ahihi Bay. Get there early as there is not a lot of parking. And don't park in Steven Tyler's driveway. I actually saw him last time we were there.

A great snorkel spot is right in front of the Sheraton. Another is Napili Point.

Go to the Gazebo for breakfast but get there EARLY. Otherwise wait until like noon. And get the fried rice. You won't regret it.

We did the Old Lahaina luau in 2005. Thought it was worth the money. You don't get cheated on the drinks, that's for sure.

If you are adventurous, take the drive around the north side of West Maui through Kahakuloa. Be forewarned though. It is partly a one lane road. Loved it the first time we did it. Had a near meltdown the second time. There won't be a third.

I stayed at the Grand Wailea in the early 90s. Was wonderful back then, but I would defer to others with more recent experience.

Also agree with whoever recommended Fred's for Taco Tuesday.

Have a great time!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Enjoy your trip. Been living on Maui for 15 years. You have a lot of good information here.

"Living on" sounds weird to read, but it's right. I been "living on" Massachusetts for 30 years just sounds stupid.

Reaction Score
"Living on" sounds weird to read, but it's right. I been "living on" Massachusetts for 30 years just sounds stupid.
Your right “Living on” Massachusetts would sound stupid. Living on Maui, makes sense to me because it’s a island.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom