OT Maui Information | The Boneyard

OT Maui Information

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It seems we can't travel to places without asking for Boneyard recommendations. So on a whim, we've decided to go to Maui next month.

First off: United or American: United is a Boeing 737-800, American is Airbus an A321. Any thoughts?

Next is where to stay. I'm debating between Aston Maui Kaanapali Vistas and Grand Wailea Resort Hotel and Spa. Does anyone have any experience with either? The second is over $150 more per night - is that worth it?

Are there other quality places I should be considering (definitely under $400/night -hopefully much more, but still solid quality). I want to be in a relatively big resort so there are different areas to go to things, eat at, see, swim, etc.

Finally, anything I should definitely do or see in Maui?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Stayed at the Grand Wailea on a work trip. Place is pretty awesome. No context in that statement but if someone else is paying I would 100% recommend.

Reaction Score
Sheraton Resort and Spa, great place. Awesome pool area with two restaurants/bars pool side. Great part of the beach also. Amazing views.

Reaction Score
Well if you take United it might be worth the extra money to get Economy Plus. I just flew to CA and back on a United 737-800. More leg room in Economy Plus, seats are closer to the front of the plane, you get to pick your seats (as opposed to Economy where they put you in middle seats a lot of the time and sometimes not even next to the people you are traveling with), we got food in Economy Plus and there was no meal served in Economy (you could buy food, which is ridiculous for a 6 hour flight), and not a huge deal but the movie selection at your seat is much more extensive than Economy.

Haven't flown American in a long time.

In terms of areas to stay, we stayed in Kannapali at the Hyatt Regency when we went to Maui. Kaanapali had a lot of restaurants and night life compared to most of the island. And it was only 15-20 minutes from Lahaina, which was a cool little town with stuff to do. But that was 24 years ago so I'm sure more of the island is built up than when we were there.

Stuff to do. If I was there again I would take one of the bike tours down Haleakala. We woke up at 2:30 am and drove up Haleakala to see the sun rise. Was it worth all the effort? I'd say no. I should have done the bike ride instead. Bring warm clothes if you go up there. It was about 32 degrees at the top.

It's a very long drive, but some people rave about doing the drive to Hana. We didn't do it because I didn't feel like being in a car all day long. If you decide to go do your research and know where to stop for the hidden sights off the road (waterfalls, etc.).

Went on a snorkeling trip on a catamaran. It was good but not any better than doing it in most places in the Caribbean.

Went to a Luau. Kind of one of those things you need to do when you go to Hawaii.

Can't even remember what else we did.

My wife wants to go next time UConn is in the Maui Invitational. I'm up for it.

Reaction Score
Maui has always been one of our favorite vacation spots. I’ve stayed at the Grand Wailea and it’s a great resort with pretty much everything. In general, I would consider Wailea to be more of a resort town while Kaanapali is much closer to other areas like Lahaina for restaurants/nightlife and the Kapalua area, especially if you golf. Overall I prefer the Wailea beaches over Kaanapali beaches but definitely debatable. The Sheraton in Kaanapali has a nice sort of secluded beach with good onshore snorkeling near black rock. Really just depends on how you want to spend you days. Enjoy!

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It seems we can't travel to places without asking for Boneyard recommendations. So on a whim, we've decided to go to Maui next month.

First off: United or American: United is a Boeing 737-800, American is Airbus an A321. Any thoughts?

Next is where to stay. I'm debating between Aston Maui Kaanapali Vistas and Grand Wailea Resort Hotel and Spa. Does anyone have any experience with either? The second is over $150 more per night - is that worth it?

Are there other quality places I should be considering (definitely under $400/night -hopefully much more, but still solid quality). I want to be in a relatively big resort so there are different areas to go to things, eat at, see, swim, etc.

Went to Oahu in March (Honolulu), wish we had went to the island of Kauai while we were out there. Kauai is supposed to be one of the most beautiful places on earth, especially if you are into hiking and nature. Its probably a cheap and quick flight from Maui to Kauai if you can get there for a night or two.

We flew first class on a Boeing 777 through Chicago (ended up being 10.5 hours there from Chicago but only 7.5 hours back). The 777 had full bed seats, giant tvs, and of course food and booze. If your options are a 737 or 321 its probably not a long-haul route (flying through CA?), but if you have a long-haul route pay up for first.

Have a great trip. Sit back and relax on the beach with a Mai Tai in your hand and realize you're on the most remote island chain on earth. Its a special place.

Reaction Score
Try Delta too. Unless you go non-stop it's a long haul. Took us (from SC) almost as long to get there as it did to Johannesburg or Dar Es Salaam.

Reaction Score
737s and A321s are both 3-3 seating.

Things like leg room, seat size, entertainment options etc. are airline dependent.

Not a guarantee but, if it is a 737-800, those are newer than A321s thus more likely to have TVs in the back of the seats.

C

Chief00

Have a great trip my friend.

Reaction Score
I flew American. Hartford to Dallas, Dallas to Oahu, then a hopper to Maui. Great flight. Very easy!! While in Maui you should rent a car and drive the Road to Hana. Its an all day trip. Also you should see the sun rise at Haleakala. Get up at 3AM, drive up the mountain and be there before sunrise. It is awe inspiring!! Be sure to dress warmly. Jackets, sweater and long pants. It's over 11, 000 feet up and its cold up there.

Enjoy, you'll have a great time!!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
If I ever go to Hawaii I know where to look for travel advice. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
I lived in Maui for about a month a few years back....house-sitting....
The Road to Hana is fairly incredible. If you go, make sure you go early to beat the rush, which should be easy if you are on east-coast time. If you hit Twin Falls right at sunrise, you should be more-than-fine. Make sure you do some research beforehand and mark down the mile-markers of the places you want to stop at. It's good to have a plan in advance. The Red Sand beach is a little bit off the road and the trail to get there is unmarked and maybe slightly sketchy, but man.....it's maybe the most beautiful spot I've ever been to. It's actually fairly close to the Black Sand beach, which is stunning as well.
Enjoy.

Reaction Score
Not a guarantee but, if it is a 737-800, those are newer than A321s thus more likely to have TVs in the back of the seats.
On United they do. Definitely helps pass the time on a long flight.

Reaction Score
Well if you take United it might be worth the extra money to get Economy Plus. I just flew to CA and back on a United 737-800. More leg room in Economy Plus, seats are closer to the front of the plane, you get to pick your seats (as opposed to Economy where they put you in middle seats a lot of the time and sometimes not even next to the people you are traveling with), we got food in Economy Plus and there was no meal served in Economy (you could buy food, which is ridiculous for a 6 hour flight), and not a huge deal but the movie selection at your seat is much more extensive than Economy.

Haven't flown American in a long time.

In terms of areas to stay, we stayed in Kannapali at the Hyatt Regency when we went to Maui. Kaanapali had a lot of restaurants and night life compared to most of the island. And it was only 15-20 minutes from Lahaina, which was a cool little town with stuff to do. But that was 24 years ago so I'm sure more of the island is built up than when we were there.

Stuff to do. If I was there again I would take one of the bike tours down Haleakala. We woke up at 2:30 am and drove up Haleakala to see the sun rise. Was it worth all the effort? I'd say no. I should have done the bike ride instead. Bring warm clothes if you go up there. It was about 32 degrees at the top.

It's a very long drive, but some people rave about doing the drive to Hana. We didn't do it because I didn't feel like being in a car all day long. If you decide to go do your research and know where to stop for the hidden sights off the road (waterfalls, etc.).

Went on a snorkeling trip on a catamaran. It was good but not any better than doing it in most places in the Caribbean.

Went to a Luau. Kind of one of those things you need to do when you go to Hawaii.

Can't even remember what else we did.

My wife wants to go next time UConn is in the Maui Invitational. I'm up for it.
I can second the Hyatt. You won't regret it. Not cheap.

Reaction Score
I’ll second the volcano bike ride suggestion. Wifey and I did it on our honeymoon, was an awesome feeling and the views were spectacular.

We tried to make our way on the road to Hana, but traffic was crazy so we spent the afternoon at Mama’s Fish House instead. One of the best day drinking / dining experiences of my life.

Loved Maui and just thinking about it again makes me want to go back.

Reaction Score
Me too! My wife has been talking about going back for the last few years. I told her we need to wait until UConn is in the Maui Invitational. But unfortunately UConn hasn't been there in a while. Usually it was every 4 years but wasn't the last time 2010? When will they be invited back?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Go to Mama's Fish House around sunset. Both the views and food are great.

I second the road to Hana but everyone does it. Bring a swimsuit there are plenty of place to stop and take a beach break.

Paia Fish Market Restuarant is a pretty good place is you want something fast in Lahaina.

Reaction Score
Me too! My wife has been talking about going back for the last few years. I told her we need to wait until UConn is in the Maui Invitational. But unfortunately UConn hasn't been there in a while. Usually it was every 4 years but wasn't the last time 2010? When will they be invited back?
UConn was there in 2016. Like most of the season, the showing was not good. Larrier tore his ACL, only win was against DivII Chaminade. I was there in 2005 and 2010 when they won. 2016 was disappointing. Hopefully the next time will be better.

Reaction Score
UConn was there in 2016. Like most of the season, the showing was not good. Larrier tore his ACL, only win was against DivII Chaminade. I was there in 2005 and 2010 when they won. 2016 was disappointing. Hopefully the next time will be better.
I must have put that one right out of mind. Good thing! Well maybe 2021 next.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
I’ll second the volcano bike ride suggestion. Wifey and I did it on our honeymoon, was an awesome feeling and the views were spectacular.

We tried to make our way on the road to Hana, but traffic was crazy so we spent the afternoon at Mama’s Fish House instead. One of the best day drinking / dining experiences of my life.

Mama’s Fish House is an absolute must. The quintessential South Pacific Restaurant and the best time to go is in the afternoon so you can enjoy the view of the incredible waves and surfers. The food is great and the fish is identified by which fishing boat caught the fish that morning.

On our return flight from Kuwai to the states on one of our trips, we had a four hour layover in Maui and rented a car and made a trip to Mama’s for one more meal.

South of Wailea is a National Sea Underwater Park with phenomenal snorkeling. You will need to take your snorkeling gear with you but the park is free, or at least was free when last there.

Reaction Score

You're safer in a hang glider than a 737. Take the Air Bus.

Reaction Score
Went to Maui for 8 days last year with my family, my favorite vacation of all time. This is snippets of an email I sent to a friend. Things to do in terms of importance:

Excursions

1) Road to Hana
- This is a MUST. All day trip (8am to 6pm) filled with hikes, waterfalls, black sand beach, blowholes. Really fun and you must rent a car to do this. The roads are VERY curvy so just make sure you start your trip back by 4/5. Itll take a good 1.5/2 hours to make it all the way back to town. Highly suggest spending the $7 on this Shaka Guide | Hawaii GPS Audio Driving Tour Apps to use as a guide for the tour.
2) Bike Tour down Mount Haleakala - This is also a must in my opinion. Wake up in the middle of the night (like 2 am) to watch the sunset on top of the volcano that formed Maui. Absolutely beautiful views coming down it. The bike trip is something like 5-10 miles but its literally all down hill. There are literally only 2 hills where you actually need to peddle or most people just walk up them. Just remember it is VERY cold on top of the volcano, the bike tours usually provide jackets, but I would still wear layers that you can shed as you get down the mountain. See below for food suggestion. This is also like a 4-5 hour total trip.
3) Molokini Crater Snorkeling Trip - This was also a cool trip. Actually not the worst deal cuz I think it was around $100 per person, but comes with breakfast, lunch, and some beers for the trip back. Definitely not a must though because you will literally find better snorkeling at many of the beaches mentioned below.

Restaurants
  • Mammas fish house - as I told you, this is the one place I went to that is a MUST. Very expensive, but one of the best restaurants Ive ever been to. Freshest fish I have ever eaten (literally tasted like chicken).
  • Kula Lodge - this is a great place to stop during the bike tour down Mount Haleakala. Amazing breakfast with BIG portions which you will need to get through the day. Would also suggest eating a light breakfast and before the sunrise
  • Kihei Cafe - super cheap lunch/breakfast spot in Kihei. Very good breakfast with HUGE portions similar to Kula lodge
  • Paia Fish Market - this place is ALWAYS packed for good reason, the food is very good and one of the cheaper places on the island. There is one in Paia, which was our favorite little beach town on the island. Also one in Kihei, but I always like going to the originals. Paia is at the very beginning of the road to hana, so this was a great dinner spot for us on our way home from the trip. Very casual spot.
  • Tobis Shave Ice - The poke here is amazing. Very different from the poke you get in NYC and imo so much better. Here they will literally cut the pieces from the filet right in front of you for your dish. Be prepared to eat alot of tuna, because thats what is freshest in Maui and absolutely amazing
  • Tamura's - this is a wine shop that also has a deli in back. Another great place to get poke, I think Tobi's was a little better, but Tamura also had alot more flavors to choose form.
  • Aunty Sandy's Banana Bread - If you like banana bread, you must stop at Aunt Sandy's for some fresh baked banana bread, this is one of the stops on the road to hana. The app will mention this as a stop.
Beaches/Snorkeling
  • Big Beach - This was my favorite beach we went to. Beautiful sand/water but the waves do get pretty intense in the afternoons due to the trade winds.
  • Makena Landing Point - This is one of the places that has amazing snorkeling, right off the beach. We saw a sea turtle here and alot more variety of fish than the snorkel trip to Molokini Crater. We just happened to stumble across this place after we took a wrong turn and it was so worth getting lost
  • Maluaka Beach - Probably my second favorite beach. Another place that had amazing snorkeling right off the beach, but this also had more sand where people could lay out. Very soft sand and also great variety of fish.
  • Waianapanapa State Park - This is one of the stops along the Road to Hana. Absolute must which has one of the two black sand beaches on the island, and has some cool blow holes which you will see people crowding around.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom