OT: Masters | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I can't really judge how easy Augusta is without having played it. So which of y'all have a guest pass?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I didn't watch much of the first three rounds but saw the whole thing today.

Even with the big margin of victory, Spieth was "fortunate" on three or four shots today that would have greatly affected his score.

Tee shot on #5 ends up two yards short of the bunkers on the left. Phil landed in there the group prior and had no shot at the green. Spieth ends up two yards shy of the bunker and ends up working a shot up towards the green. He chunks a chip and still makes bogey but he didn't "plan" on hitting that shot where it landed.

Second shot on #7 out of the rough. He lands it short of the green in the 3 yard patch of green between the two bunkers. Again, no way to plan on landing it there, it's good luck.

Second shot on #13 flies Rae's Creek by a yard. 3 feet shorter and he's chipping over the creek to save par.

He probably wins regardless but it's amazing how Tiger, Phil, Rory and all the other greats catch the breaks when they win. Including Fred Couples in 1002 with his tee shot on 12 not rolling in to Rae's Creek.

My point?

If law of averages played out, Spieth finishes 15 or 16 under and it's a great win, not a call to revamp the course.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sure wish I had $25M, Paulina, and his golf swing. Not necessarily in that order either.

No kidding. Lots of ways to make $25M or bag a hot chick. A swing like his? Much more rare and desirable.

Reaction Score
These guys make Augusta look like a pitch and putt. I want to see winning scores right around even par, but without requiring 30 mph winds to do it. U.S. Open all the way.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
These guys make Augusta look like a pitch and putt. I want to see winning scores right around even par, but without requiring 30 mph winds to do it. U.S. Open all the way.

I'll go the opposite way and say the way the USGA tricked up Pinehurst last year was a disgrace. Stripe a ball down the fairway? Tough crap, play from a barren lie because they wouldn't water the fairways and hid pins on the crests of the greens.

Even Lower Merion was a joke with the set up.

Each major has its own characteristics, charms and mannerisms. And each can be wildly exaggerated by weather, good or bad.

For me the best courses for testing skill regardless of set up or wind are Shinnecock, Bethpage Black, Oakmount, Oak Hill, Augusta, Pebble Beach and Southern Hills.

Reaction Score
If you've set foot on Augusta, you will realize it's one of the most special places on the planet. It's just special. The city is awful, but the golf course is heaven on earth.

Reaction Score
Kind of OT, but does any sporting event take itself as seriously as The Masters does? They like the taste of their own wang far too much.

Reaction Score
I can't really judge how easy Augusta is without having played it. So which of y'all have a guest pass?
I played it many years ago amoung other exclusive PGA courses. I played mostly par and bogey rounds. Actually I was pissed I couldn't make any birdies.

All I can say about Augusta is that Windows XP sucked when it came to accuracy and realism, oh and the 'little ball' on the bottom mouse didn't help either.

Reaction Score
I played it many years ago amoung other exclusive PGA courses. I played mostly par and bogey rounds. Actually I was pissed I couldn't make any birdies.

All I can say about Augusta is that Windows XP sucked when it came to accuracy and realism, oh and the 'little ball' on the bottom mouse didn't help either.

My takeaway from the Masters and Spieth over the last 2 years is that so long as the fan continues to see the UA logo on his hat and his shirt, UA is a great
buy at $83.75 if you don't already have it. And we are not even talking about the other big time pro athletes in their stable globally. Spieth may end up the biggest. What a day yesterday for UA.

Reaction Score
Sure wish I had $25M, Paulina, and his golf swing. Not necessarily in that order either.

Yeah me too 68. But he still is a gag. Not a fan and not because he bonked others wives or snorted his way to a 6 month lay off (actually gained some respect for him a weird mau way for those) but just think he's beyond arrogant. And he can't close. He made that run on Friday with 3 eagles in ONE ROUND which is ridiculous, yet he never came close? He's more in love with his length than he is with winning I think, but that's just me.

Reaction Score
If you've set foot on Augusta, you will realize it's one of the most special places on the planet. It's just special. The city is awful, but the golf course is heaven on earth.

I was at the 2006 Masters and in a beautiful rented house on the outskirts of the course for a few days . There really is nothing like it in golf I agree, it is very special to be on those grounds.

But because of that they should be showing it off from noon on TV!!

Reaction Score
And one thing why the Open Championship is so superior to the others is that they play the courses as they always have whereas even Augusta has made huge changes in the last 15-20 years to increase the difficulty factor.

That is simply not true.

Reaction Score
Which part? Augusta has continuously tinkered with the course when they started to try and Tiger proof it 15-20 years ago.

Maybe the R&A does do things to the Open courses, I doubt to the extremes of the USGA though.

That is simply not true.

Reaction Score
My guess is he's referring to your suggestion that other courses aren't adding length and making other changes to accommodate longer driving. Even the Old Course at St. Andrews has had tees added for length.

Reaction Score
Which part? Augusta has continuously tinkered with the course when they started to try and Tiger proof it 15-20 years ago.

Maybe the R&A does do things to the Open courses, I doubt to the extremes of the USGA though.

The Open courses have been lengthened, greens moved, bunkers added, etc. They've basically done what has been done to Augusta. St. Andrews has made major changes in anticipation of this year's Open Championship after adding almost 300 yards to the course previously. Birkdale made major changes before the 2010.

Carnoustie and Muirfield are probably the only two courses in the rotation that can hold up even in good playing conditions.

At many of the Open courses, particularly Troon and St. A, if conditions were similar to what you saw this week, the winning score would have been -20 or lower.

Reaction Score
Hey there's no doubt these kids have tools to hit it longer so therefore they need to make the courses withstand the punishment. I mean c'mon, guys are hitting 3 woods and 6-9 iron on 460 yard par 4's which were real long back in the day.

It's all relative.

Reaction Score
We don't need all the majors to be the same. Variety is nice I like the grind of the U.S Open but like the difference the Master's give you as well as the British courses.

Reaction Score
Well, I think I showed above how it's not in any way the easiest - it has easy years, it has tough years. Amen corner is 10, 11 and 12 and does not include 13 which is obviously easy. 10, 11 and 12 all play 1/4 shot above par for the pros. That is in no way easy. There is no such thing as an easy 9 that if 3 yards off and you're looking at bogey.
Good post but you are wrong about Amen Corner. It is 11-13.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Good post but you are wrong about Amen Corner. It is 11-13.
I stand corrected - always thought it was 10-12. I guess Amen Corner is 1/3 of a misnomer.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected - always thought it was 10-12. I guess Amen Corner is 1/3 of a misnomer.

The writer who gave it that nickname apparently took it from a song title, "Shoutin' in that Amen Corner," because he just wanted to name that part of the course with some kind of "corner" nickname. It wasn't supposed to be about difficulty, but about excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom