OT: Masters | The Boneyard

OT: Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Speith may be leading after 36 and Tiger may have made the cut, but Dustin Johnson is the story right now. Three eagles in one round. Seems there's no par 5 designed where he can't hit it close in two.

Still just 30 and has already made $25 mill on tour, despite being drunk a lot and having reputed coke issues. And he's got Paulina Gretzky.

Nice gig if you can get it.

Reaction Score
$25 million and what to show for it? Yeah he's long, good for him. He needs to win when it counts and also help the USA in the Ryder Cup - he's done neither. 25M is great but for the everyday golf fan, while you enjoy the raw power of his game, you're still waiting for the winner in him to show up and it rarely does on "game day".

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Mhil Pickleson will have a good round tomorrow. Spieth will self-destruct.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Mhil Pickleson will have a good round tomorrow. Spieth will self-destruct.
I don't know - Spieth showed some huge nuggets after a double bogey at 17 and a horrible 2nd shot on 18 making an incredible up and down to hold it together. I can see him going for 70 again tomorrow which means Phil will have to shoot a 65 to tie. 65 at the Masters on Sunday is more than a tall order. Even a 66 for Rose is a stretch.

If the kid can shoot a 70 or better, he wins. I think he does it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't know - Spieth showed some huge nuggets after a double bogey at 17 and a horrible 2nd shot on 18 making an incredible up and down to hold it together. I can see him going for 70 again tomorrow which means Phil will have to shoot a 65 to tie. 65 at the Masters on Sunday is more than a tall order. Even a 66 for Rose is a stretch.

If the kid can shoot a 70 or better, he wins. I think he does it.
Don't count out the pickle man. Dill Pickleson will find a way. He's done it before. He can do it again.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Don't count out the pickle man. Dill Pickleson will find a way. He's done it before. He can do it again.
Drink less - post less while drinking.

Reaction Score
The important thing to remember about Spieth today is that, from a statistical perspective, it really wouldn't say anything huge about him to have a slightly over-par round today. I mean, everyone will call it a collapse if he loses while shooting over par, but I would refrain from calling a +1 or +2 a collapse even if he loses.

Reaction Score
By the time the masters is over, I am completely sick of Jim Nantz, this guys commentary which is loaded with flour and fluff is always over the top.

Reaction Score
Spieth is in total cruise control, kid has ice water in his veins.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
An incredibly impressive Sunday for Speith. Seems to be even beyond a Boneyard jinx.

Reaction Score
Not to denigrate the greatest golfers in the world BUT they are using BAZOOKAS off the tee and reducing all holes to birdies and eagles.

Reaction Score
Not to denigrate the greatest golfers in the world BUT they are using BAZOOKAS off the tee and reducing all holes to birdies and eagles.

One player tied the tournament's scoring record...

It's not like anything crazy happened across the board.

Reaction Score
Annie isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Really impressive. Who doesn't like a guy with a name that sounds like spleef?

Reaction Score
Maybe, but Augusta as a course is not relevant any longer. It's not a test of golf whatsoever. It's a test of who is putting the best and can torch the course better than the others. It's the easiest major course by a mile.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The course was at the players mercy this year. Cool humid weather and no wind. If the weather was hot, dry and windy or some combo and the winning score is -8 or -9. No need to change the course.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Maybe, but Augusta as a course is not relevant any longer. It's not a test of golf whatsoever. It's a test of who is putting the best and can torch the course better than the others. It's the easiest major course by a mile.
It all depends on conditions - this week the weather made the course play perfectly - the greens held balls and there was little wind to deal with. Last year the winning score was -8 and 2nd place was -5. In 2007 Zach Johnson won with 1 over par. The Masters has now twice been won with -18. In comparison, the Open Championship record is -19 and the PGA Championship has been won 3 times with -18, so it's not the easiest major by a mile. It has some tough years and some relatively easy years.

The last three Open Championships at St. Andrews have been -16, -14 and -19. Royal Liverpool has been won at -17 and -18 in the last decade.

The problem isn't that Augusta is easy, the problem is the players and equipment have just gotten too good.

Reaction Score
$25 million and what to show for it? Yeah he's long, good for him. He needs to win when it counts and also help the USA in the Ryder Cup - he's done neither. 25M is great but for the everyday golf fan, while you enjoy the raw power of his game, you're still waiting for the winner in him to show up and it rarely does on "game day".
Sure wish I had $25M, Paulina, and his golf swing. Not necessarily in that order either.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Um the other majors play at different courses - so how does one decide that?

Reaction Score
Um the other majors play at different courses - so how does one decide that?

I mean of all the courses in any rotation Augusta is the easiest. Yes, conditions are a factor. The Open Championship is 100% determined by whether the wind is blowing. When it does it is maybe the best test, if calm conditions it is much easier.

Amen corner is such a misnomer. 13 is easy, 11 is usually an easy 9 iron in, 12, just play for a par.

And one thing why the Open Championship is so superior to the others is that they play the courses as they always have whereas even Augusta has made huge changes in the last 15-20 years to increase the difficulty factor. The U.S. open courses are just extreme where the USGA won't water the greens for 2 weeks whereas they will water the rough incessantly and won't cut it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I mean of all the courses in any rotation Augusta is the easiest. Yes, conditions are a factor. The Open Championship is 100% determined by whether the wind is blowing. When it does it is maybe the best test, if calm conditions it is much easier.

Amen corner is such a misnomer. 13 is easy, 11 is usually an easy 9 iron in, 12, just play for a par.

And one thing why the Open Championship is so superior to the others is that they play the courses as they always have whereas even Augusta has made huge changes in the last 15-20 years to increase the difficulty factor. The U.S. open courses are just extreme where the USGA won't water the greens for 2 weeks whereas they will water the rough incessantly and won't cut it.
Well, I think I showed above how it's not in any way the easiest - it has easy years, it has tough years. Amen corner is 10, 11 and 12 and does not include 13 which is obviously easy. 10, 11 and 12 all play 1/4 shot above par for the pros. That is in no way easy. There is no such thing as an easy 9 that if 3 yards off and you're looking at bogey.

I have no problem if you think the Open Championship is the best - I love the Open. There is something wonderful about playing a course that hasn't changed (much) in over 100 years. But one could also make the argument that it's not exactly fair to be penalized two shots for putting a ball dead down the middle and catching a random 4 yard wide pot bunker.

Each of the majors has specific challenges. The Masters requires awesome iron play, great putting and ability to read greens and be creative. The US Open requires accurate drives and severely penalizes wayward shots with deep dense rough. The PGA is usually on demanding courses but doesn't have the harsh penalty for a lack of accuracy. The Open obviously favors links play (whatever that means, exactly) and usually rewards players who can handle playing in cold windy conditions. They are all great in their own right.

It's just way over the top to call Augusta irrelevant. It is pretty much the most important tournament for American players and if they can only win one of the majors, they'll take the green jacket most of the time.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well, I think I showed above how it's not in any way the easiest - it has easy years, it has tough years. Amen corner is 10, 11 and 12 and does not include 13 which is obviously easy. 10, 11 and 12 all play 1/4 shot above par for the pros. That is in no way easy. There is no such thing as an easy 9 that if 3 yards off and you're looking at bogey.

I have no problem if you think the Open Championship is the best - I love the Open. There is something wonderful about playing a course that hasn't changed (much) in over 100 years. But one could also make the argument that it's not exactly fair to be penalized two shots for putting a ball dead down the middle and catching a random 4 yard wide pot bunker.

Each of the majors has specific challenges. The Masters requires awesome iron play, great putting and ability to read greens and be creative. The US Open requires accurate drives and severely penalizes wayward shots with deep dense rough. The PGA is usually on demanding courses but doesn't have the harsh penalty for a lack of accuracy. The Open obviously favors links play (whatever that means, exactly) and usually rewards players who can handle playing in cold windy conditions. They are all great in their own right.

It's just way over the top to call Augusta irrelevant. It is pretty much the most important tournament for American players and if they can only win one of the majors, they'll take the green jacket most of the time.
I have no idea if any of this is accurate, but it's well stated and confident, so I buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom