OT: Mariano's Last Game in Yankee Stadium | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Mariano's Last Game in Yankee Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Truth be known, there was no Curse. The Sox had incompetents running the club for 80 years. Number 1 on the list was Tom Yawkey. Theo changed that much to my chagrin.:(

Reaction Score
Too bad Mo retired from a Yankees team who were garbage this year.

Reaction Score
And, incidentally, he and Jeter didn't seem to have any problem with the tribute at Fenway, which I think any sane person would have recognized was all in good fun.
How can any Yankee fan or other take issue with this?

I too think its a nice tribute from a rivalry.

Reaction Score
How can any Yankee fan or other take issue with this?

I too think its a nice tribute from a rivalry.

I take the approach that if Mo isn't letting it bother him, then we shouldn't either. That said, it could easily be seen as more of a celebration of the Red Sox than a celebration of Mo.

Reaction Score
Even though the Sox had a little fun at Mariano's expense, they honored him and praised him every way possible. Mariano handled it all with class and dignity. For a Yankee fan to act all butthurt is just ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I was not a fan of the Red Sox "tribute" b/c like was previously said it seemed to be honoring the Sox as much as it was Rivera. I guess I look at it like this... In 1983, the Yanks honored Yaz at his last game at Yankee Stadium. I did not see it, but I'm fairly certain that the Yankees didn't "thank" Yaz for his amazing career by citing his popping up in 78 to end the playoff game as a defining moment in his career and the onus for the great respect Yankee fans had for him. I may come across as a "butthurt" Yankee fan, but I thought the Sox tribute, at least the "roast" section, was a little douchey.

Reaction Score
I disagree, it is the biggest rivalry in sports so bringing or making a reference to it is fine and in a sense welcomed.

Ultimately the way he's conducted himself is why he gets this as much as his skill. Jeter will get something similar and should, ARoid won't even be acknowledged.

Incredibly classy by both sides and the Millar, Roberts, Mueller intro was awesome. That's in the history of the Red Sox, how could they not incorporate that?

I was not a fan of the Red Sox "tribute" b/c like was previously said it seemed to be honoring the Sox as much as it was Rivera. I guess I look at it like this... In 1983, the Yanks honored Yaz at his last game at Yankee Stadium. I did not see it, but I'm fairly certain that the Yankees didn't "thank" Yaz for his amazing career by citing his popping up in 78 to end the playoff game as a defining moment in his career and the onus for the great respect Yankee fans had for him. I may come across as a "butthurt" Yankee fan, but I thought the Sox tribute, at least the "roast" section, was a little douchey.

Reaction Score
Incredibly classy by both sides and the Millar, Roberts, Mueller intro was awesome. That's in the history of the Red Sox, how could they not incorporate that?

But you're honoring Rivera, not the 04 Red Sox... Like I mentioned earlier, how would Sox fans have felt if the Yanks showed a video of Yaz popping up to give the Yanks the pennant in 78? I guarantee they would have said it was classless.

Reaction Score
Too bad Mo retired from a Yankees team who were garbage this year.
The Red Sox were garbage last year, also due to injuries. What's your point? That it's Rivera's fault? Your ignorance is coming through loud and clear.

Reaction Score
It was great, they gave 3-4 minutes to that and then had a great transition to honoring him. The point was he is part of Red Sox history too and it was done as classy as possible.

The fans were going nuts for him, as much as they did for any Sox player basically. They respect his greatness but also love that we got to him one time in a seemingly impossible spot.

Even started off as "before we toast we have to roast"

If you like the sterile "you're the best ever" ceremonies than maybe not for u

But you're honoring Rivera, not the 04 Red Sox... Like I mentioned earlier, how would Sox fans have felt if the Yanks showed a video of Yaz popping up to give the Yanks the pennant in 78? I guarantee they would have said it was classless.

Reaction Score
Sox fans, how about letting us have our moment? David is in the wings, you know.

Reaction Score
Ortiz won't get anything like this. Jeter will if he announces retirement in advance. I still struggle to find a more gritty play in a long time than the famous Jeter catch.

Sox fans, how about letting us have our moment? David is in the wings, you know.

Reaction Score
It was great, they gave 3-4 minutes to that and then had a great transition to honoring him. The point was he is part of Red Sox history too and it was done as classy as possible.

The fans were going nuts for him, as much as they did for any Sox player basically. They respect his greatness but also love that we got to him one time in a seemingly impossible spot.

Even started off as "before we toast we have to roast"

If you like the sterile "you're the best ever" ceremonies than maybe not for u

If the situation was reversed I think a Red Sox fan would be a little pissed as well... After the roast, it was very nice and the fan/player reaction was incredible. Just didn't think the "roast" needed to be the central part of the ceremony. Hell, even one of the gifts was a hideous painting of Sox fans "thanking" him for blowing game 4.

Reaction Score
Right Mau, because everyone knows that the Yankees don't have any bandwagon fans, just die-hards. Just like the Cowboys and Notre Dame. Did a Yankee fan really just take on another fan base for having johnny-come-lately fans?

As a Red Sox fan, I like Mo. He was a hell of a closer, certainly the best I've ever seen. And, incidentally, he and Jeter didn't seem to have any problem with the tribute at Fenway, which I think any sane person would have recognized was all in good fun.

Funny - in case you haven't realized they are "classy guys" as all of you Red Sox fans say. Think either of them would blast the Sox for a crappy presentation?

Oh by the way there are plenty of bandwagon fans I guess for every organization no doubt. Yanks, Cowboys and many others I agree.......but living in WesMass since 1990 and watching the growth of "Red Sox Nation" (laughable) there is no organization with more than right here I promise, especially that rapid growth since 2004 ;)

Reaction Score
Even though the Sox had a little fun at Mariano's expense, they honored him and praised him every way possible. Mariano handled it all with class and dignity. For a Yankee fan to act all butthurt is just ridiculous.

Yeah they really took care of Mo.......and Papi.......and Pedey.......c'mon it was a joke! Period!

Anyway the good news is no other teams had fun at his expense but instead respected him for his achievements!

Reaction Score
I disagree, it is the biggest rivalry in sports so bringing or making a reference to it is fine and in a sense welcomed.

Ultimately the way he's conducted himself is why he gets this as much as his skill. Jeter will get something similar and should, ARoid won't even be acknowledged.

Why would Millar, Roberts and Mueller be intro'd at Mo's celebration, seriously think about that one? Papi and Dustin yeah, thos guys NO.......it was more aboiut 2004 Sox than MO ......and only a Red Sox fan could see it otherwise! But hey, look at the organization.......expected!.......

Hey Vike you want loathsome - watch the video! ;)

Reaction Score

When you step back and look at the situation, it is an absurd thing to be upset about. "A baseball team's tribute to a retiring player on the team I root for did not meet my specifications for praise and worship. I am not pleased."

Reaction Score
I would've been fine with it.

Sports fans take things way too seriously, and this is a perfect example of it. It was meant to be a joke, which neither Rivera nor Jeter had a problem with, so the fact that you consider it "classless" is laughable.

Stop taking things so seriously and lighten up.

Reaction Score
When you step back and look at the situation, it is an absurd thing to be upset about. "A baseball team's tribute to a retiring player on the team I root for did not meet my specifications for praise and worship. I am not pleased."

Only if you step back and look at the rest of the tributes and then take the Sox glasses off and realize their intent.........and really it's not upsetting to me I think it's great that all the teams did this.....it's actually more laughable exactly how Red Sox think! "Loathsome" - coming from the Nation......now that's funny - just read threads like this!

Reaction Score
I would've been fine with it.

Sports fans take things way too seriously, and this is a perfect example of it. It was meant to be a joke, which neither Rivera nor Jeter had a problem with, so the fact that you consider it "classless" is laughable.

Stop taking things so seriously and lighten up.

It was "classless" - no time for a joke UC, no one else felt that way...........maybe like the Twins with a rocking chair made out of broken bats now that's funny but tells the Mo story.........read this thread, boog I and others are not taking it seriously we're laughing at Sox fans that think it was alright.......no one else did!

Reaction Score
Beyond ridiculous. It was at Fenway, not Yankee stadium. It was a connection and in baseball history. Geez ur a wet rag.

Why would Millar, Roberts and Mueller be intro'd at Mo's celebration, seriously think about that one? Papi and Dustin yeah, thos guys NO.......it was more aboiut 2004 Sox than MO ......and only a Red Sox fan could see it otherwise! But hey, look at the organization.......expected!.......

Hey Vike you want loathsome - watch the video! ;)

Reaction Score
Beyond ridiculous. It was at Fenway, not Yankee stadium. It was a connection and in baseball history. Geez ur a wet rag.

No you're just a screwed up Red Sox fan 91.......need to take those off.......sorry most outside of fenway agree with "us" Yankee fan.

But hey, it's to be expected right? Wet rag....that's funny.....I love life dude!! Yanks don't matter a spec but pissing the nation off gives me a smile!! Weird group

Reaction Score
Go watch the whole thing genius and not the 1st 3 minutes

No you're just a screwed up Red Sox fan 91.......need to take those off.......sorry most outside of fenway agree with "us" Yankee fan.

But hey, it's to be expected right? Wet rag....that's funny.....I love life dude!! Yanks don't matter a spec but pissing the nation off gives me a smile!! Weird group

Reaction Score
Go watch the whole thing genius and not the 1st 3 minutes

The Red Sox came off as arrogant. Kinda like a real bad wedding toast where the best man says his wife is just as hot as the bride.

Reaction Score
Yeah they really took care of Mo.......and Papi.......and Pedey.......c'mon it was a joke! Period!

Anyway the good news is no other teams had fun at his expense but instead respected him for his achievements!

Wow. Get over yourself. Rivera had fun with it and appreciated the tribute. For a fan to get bent out of shape over it is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom