OT: Malloy Talks NHL, New Arena | The Boneyard

OT: Malloy Talks NHL, New Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I haven't seen this posted yet. Malloy says he has been contacted by two groups that wanted to discuss the possibility of acquiring a team and moving to CT.

Odds are slim, but I like that we are at least talking about a new arena in Hartford. And it would be great for UConn if this happened. Either we continue playing in Hartford and it is atleast an attractive arena, or this frees the university to develop a Storrs bball/hockey arena.

http://courantblogs.com/capitol-watch/nhl-dream-lives-malloy-talks-hockey-in-hartford/

Reaction Score
We had pitiful attendance in one of the smallest buildings in the NHL. We're sandwiched between 2 huge markets what would raise hell. As much as I'd love the NHL to return to CT, it ain't happening. Lets just face it, when it comes to professional sports, Connecticut is a minor league state.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
We had pitiful attendance in one of the smallest buildings in the NHL. We're sandwiched between 2 huge markets what would raise hell. As much as I'd love the NHL to return to CT, it ain't happening. Lets just face it, when it comes to professional sports, Connecticut is a minor league state.

That sentiment is why we are a minor league state.

CT can carve out a niche in hockey and soccer, no chance for professional bball, football or baseball (in my opinion).

Reaction Score
If you have a competitive team it will build a fan base and people will come. I was pretty young when the whalers left but I always remember the games being packed and it was usually a mad house.

Reaction Score
If you have a competitive team it will build a fan base and people will come. I was pretty young when the whalers left but I always remember the games being packed and it was usually a mad house.

The economics of the game have changed considerably. I'm shocked at what the NHL charges. It's absolutely nuts.

Reaction Score

CT can carve out a niche in hockey and soccer, no chance for professional bball, football or baseball (in my opinion).

But what part of what I said wasn't true? Hey, I loved the Whale. My dad and I had season tickets when I was younger, I got to skate with the other little kids during intermission a couple times, got to go down and get autographs, it was great. If a team came to CT, I'd sure as hell support them. I just don't see it happening.

Reaction Score
This is always the response from some people and it's complete and utter bs, The Whalers had a good fan base despite almost always putting a horrible product on the ice, in 87-88 which was probably their best year they outdrew The Blues, Sabres, Canucks, Kings, Jets, North Stars, Devils and Bruins. They never had the worst attendance despite putting an atrocious product on the ice because they had an owner who never had intentions of keeping them in Hartford despite all of his lies throughout the years.

Reaction Score
we can support a team. Look at Winnipeg.. They have a nice arena that isnt huge.

I would be first in line to get season ticket.

Even if we sucked you could at least see other teams.

bring back the whale

Reaction Score
we can support a team. Look at Winnipeg.. They have a nice arena that isnt huge.

I would be first in line to get season ticket.

Even if we sucked you could at least see other teams.

bring back the whale
You're comparing hockey-mad Winnipeg to Greater Hartford?

Reaction Score
The Whalers won one NHL playoff series in their entire existence. One. Pathetic.

And every time they had an elite layer on the team, Mark Howe, Ronnie Francis, Mike Rogers, Rob McClanahan, they traded him away. Pathetic.

Yet, they still drew 14,000+ per game in their last season. The truth is their attendance, given the above facts, was amazing.

Reaction Score
I had the privilege of being very good friends with the son of a former player. The atmosphere around the team was great. The players were good guys, Hartford was hopping on game night, attendance was strong and the fan base rabid. A good product in a nice arena would do very well.

Whalers gear has a cult following too. The sales of Whaler gear nationwide are staggering. It is the most popular brand of all defunct teams in sports. My wife wears a Whaler cap sometimes, people stop us all over Florida and California and tell her they love her hat.

Bring back the Whale!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Hoophound said:
I had the privilege of being very good friends with the son of a former player. The atmosphere around the team was great. The players were good guys, Hartford was hopping on game night, attendance was strong and the fan base rabid. A good product in a nice arena would do very well.

Whalers gear has a cult following too. The sales of Whaler gear nationwide are staggering. It is the most popular brand of all defunct teams in sports. My wife wears a Whaler cap sometimes, people stop us all over Florida and California and tell her they love her hat.

Bring back the Whale!
Funny you should bring that up. I flew out for the cancer walk and I bought a whalers hat and t-shirt in the airport on the way home. Love wearing me whalers gear in California.

Sent from my etch a sketch using Forum Runner

Reaction Score
We wouldn't want a 10K seat arena for hockey. It'll be a cavern on game day.

Bring back the Whalers!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Whalers won one NHL playoff series in their entire existence. One. Pathetic.

And every time they had an elite layer on the team, Mark Howe, Ronnie Francis, Mike Rogers, Rob McClanahan, they traded him away. Pathetic.

Yet, they still drew 14,000+ per game in their last season. The truth is their attendance, given the above facts, was amazing.

Listing Rob McClanahan as an elite player the Whalers traded away may be the single strangest thing I've ever read here.

The Rogers trade wasn't that bad. They made at least two dozen worse than that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Ron Francis trade was pathetic, trading Chris Pronger for a 1 season rental of Brendan Shanahan was also pathetic. You put a good product on the ice and the fans would definitely come out.

Which also led to retrospectively the dumbest thing I ever saw at a game. Mike Keenan appreciation night.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

I want the governor to worry about our budget and the rest of the state issues, before worrying about this.
I want UCONN out of the AAC but think getting the AAU will push that better than the governor being involved. Remember the last time politicians were involved...

Reaction Score

No, it's not sentiment. It's reality. You can shake your pom-pons all you want. CT is what it is.

Reaction Score
No, it's not sentiment. It's reality. You can shake your pom-pons all you want. CT is what it is.

That is the anti Calhoun attitude, Connecticut isn't a basketball state.

Reaction Score

That was not truly reflective of the fan base. It was their last season. Prior to that year, the five seasons before it were sub-12,000. They were the 3rd lowest franchise in attendance in 91-92, 2nd lowest in 92-93, 93-94 and 94-95.

The city made it clear they did not want to support this team and they left. And nothing would be different if we got another franchise.

Reaction Score
Oooh, another chance to be a pawn in an attempt to help billionare owners' extort even more money from the cities they actually want to be in!
I remember 40 nights per year with restaunts and bars full. While your point is valid, people like you just accept giving money to people in Hartford who drive around all day in nicer cars than I will ever own (taking left on reds). The other segment walks around all day talking on their iPhones.

Reaction Score
Listing Rob McClanahan as an elite player the Whalers traded away may be the single strangest thing I've ever read here.

The Rogers trade wasn't that bad. They made at least two dozen worse than that.

LOL. I meant Brendan Shanahan but typed Rob McClanahan. Not the first time I've done it. Sorry.

BTW, you're wrong about Rogers, traded a great player and didn't get one back.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
LOL. I meant Brendan Shanahan but typed Rob McClanahan. Not the first time I've done it. Sorry.

BTW, you're wrong about Rogers, traded a great player and didn't get one back.

Rogers was out of the league after 3 years and they got Sulliman back who was 21 and had one good year. They also got Kostopolous who after 300 decent games they turned into Gavin.

Rogers hung a -60 in 3 years with the Rangers, so he scored some goals but as far as Whaler trade follies go, hard to see that as one unless you only look at his goal total.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom