OT: Le'Veon Bell | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Le'Veon Bell

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
He is a 26 year old HB who touches the ball 400 times. He can't risk playing without a long-term deal. This is his last shot at a big payday.

As for his teammates......wow. It is clear they know he won't be back after this season. No way do you undermine your teammate is a contract fight with management.
This. Not a Steelers fan, but they are in big trouble without him.

Reaction Score
In today's NFL, when your teammates start speaking out against you in a contract dispute it means you have crappy teammates.

How many contract disputes actually play out into the season like this? It's easy to back a guy when he isn't showing up for OTA's. When you start counting missed games (which is cap money left on the table that could have been spread throughout the roster) it's not so easy to put on a happy face, especially if he misled you personally.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
How many contract disputes actually play out into the season like this? It's easy to back a guy when he isn't showing up for OTA's. When you start counting missed games (which is cap money left on the table that could have been spread throughout the roster) it's not so easy to put on a happy face, especially if he misled you personally.
It’s also tough when he’s around 50% of your O and you can’t come close to making up for it. Any time he’s been hurt, Pittsburgh has had trouble. As much as I like Ben, when he presses he throws a lot of interceptions. And you’re right about the contract....I thought he would have signed by now, but I guess he didn’t mind losing 53 friends and the entire city of Pittsburgh.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The fact is you have to holdout or threaten to holdout to get paid in the NFL. It's a crappy system but that's the system. Those critical of the players are tools of ownership, imo.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As much as I like Ben,

There are people who admit to liking that fwad?

VvMpLEZ

Reaction Score
It’s also tough when he’s around 50% of your O and you can’t come close to making up for it. Any time he’s been hurt, Pittsburgh has had trouble. As much as I like Ben, when he presses he throws a lot of interceptions. And you’re right about the contract....I thought he would have signed by now, but I guess he didn’t mind losing 53 friends and the entire city of Pittsburgh.

He's a special talent. But I'm still not sure if a guy like Shazier is more important to that team long-term.

Reaction Score
The fact is you have to holdout or threaten to holdout to get paid in the NFL. It's a crappy system but that's the system. Those critical of the players are tools of ownership, imo.

I support anyone holding out. The question in this case is whether there's anything extra to the story. Usually, when you're entire o-line objects to something at once, it's for a reason. Communication is still critical even during a holdout - we don't know whether a guy like Ramon Foster's decision to return might have been influenced by Bell.

It's all-or-nothing for a lot of these guys. They'd rather sacrifice everything together, whether it's for the NFLPA or for the team. Stuff like this only ensures that their work is underpaid and unfulfilling. Guys can negotiate a contract individually but they should still occur within a larger framework of trust. If these guys feel like that trust has been broached, then they have a gripe.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Per PFT (not Commenter) Team is on the way to Cleveland without Bell.

I guess that means he doesn't get the Week 1 paycheck.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Per PFT (not Commenter) Team is on the way to Cleveland without Bell.

I guess that means he doesn't get the Week 1 paycheck.

Based on the weather there... probably won't regret it.

Reaction Score
Seriously. If I'm the Steelers I trade him tomorrow for a draft pick and rid myself of the locker room issues

Conner, Samuels and they'll need to sign another back (I don't want to retread Toussaint yet again)

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
If I'm the Steelers I trade him tomorrow for a draft pick and rid myself of the locker room issues
Not sure what they'd get for him with less than a season to go, but I agree.
I just can't side with the player. I don't care about his pay relative to his peers, his impact on the team (touches) or actual worth. It's on the Steelers front office to do the contract negotiating and if the franchise tag is all they can do and it's within the rules, so be it. Obviously they will not be able to sign him once he's a FA and that's on them. Including this season he's made $29M in his career. If it ended today, he and generations after him should be set. So sign the damn franchise tag offer and get the NFLPA to renegotiate the contract they have.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I don't criticize his holding out, but communicate it ahead of time so the team has enough time to plan. So say, unless I get this, I'm not coming until week 11. Otherwise you are hurting other players and coaches, both on the field and subsequently in their own value on the market (or could even cost them their job). Don't take everyone down with you.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Based on the weather there... probably won't regret it.

We were talking about buying extra vacation time yesterday. Now THIS is committment to extra vacation time. Technically, it's $855k for a few days off!

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Rooting for John Dorsey here.

He's gonna have to get rid of Hugh Jackson if he wants to be successful. Guy's not much of a coach/leader.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So if Conner has a few more performances like the one yesterday that's got to incite Bell to return? Right?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
So if Conner has a few more performances like the one yesterday that's got to incite Bell to return? Right?

You've got to wonder. Pittsburgh might look to split carries in order to ease Conner into being their RB. But, if I'm Pitt, why not just trade Bell? your replacement is fine and Bell ain't coming back long term. If he comes back this year, are you that much better? Does the locker room turmoil offset the talent? Why not get something in return for him while you can?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You've got to wonder. Pittsburgh might look to split carries in order to ease Conner into being their RB. But, if I'm Pitt, why not just trade Bell? your replacement is fine and Bell ain't coming back long term. If he comes back this year, are you that much better? Does the locker room turmoil offset the talent? Why not get something in return for him while you can?

I think that he has to agree to sign the franchise tag, then they have to work out a trade, all while the receiving team negotiating a long term extension. I'm not sure how tampering violations could bring that into play.

I agree with you though. RBs are replaceable and there's no point in signing on for the end of their 20s.

Reaction Score
Would Bell play if he was traded? He's upset at not having a long term contract and a large sum of guaranteed money. I doubt if he got traded today that he'd suit up for week 2 and risk getting hurt and missing out on his long term deal

intlzncster

Reaction Score

What can you really get for him atm? A 5th or 6th rnder? A team that trades for him is either looking for a short term rental...or knows they are going to have to blow the bank (read 'cap') for an tread worn, injury prone RB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom