OT: Le'Veon Bell | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Le'Veon Bell

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Would Bell play if he was traded? He's upset at not having a long term contract and a large sum of guaranteed money. I doubt if he got traded today that he'd suit up for week 2 and risk getting hurt and missing out on his long term deal

He might. I think he was stupid not to sign a long term deal as they reportedly offered. RBs aren't going to make as much as he seems to think he is worth. That being said, Pittsburgh uses him more than any other team uses a single RB in the modern era. His issue, in part, is that he is more likely to get hurt playing for the Steelers because he will have so many touches. The counterpoint is that their run blocking OL is superb, which is why Connor was effective. He had almost 100 yards before contact.

Smart move for Bell would be to report and then run like Franco Harris. Go out of bounds, go down easy when you aren't trying to get critical first down yardage, and ask for more breaks. He will make enough by reporting to be set for life, whatever his next deal. And he must have a good injury insurance policy.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Looks like Bell was dropped off the depth chart today, though I think that's probably more symbolic than them knowing when he'll return.

Can't wait for this weeks slew of "sources guess" when he'll return being presented as actual journalism.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Looks like Bell was dropped off the depth chart today, though I think that's probably more symbolic than them knowing when he'll return.

Can't wait for this weeks slew of "sources guess" when he'll return being presented as actual journalism.

You'll know the Steelers have really moved on when they start spending the cap money they have tied up waiting for Bell.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Had to take Conner with him. That’s some Reese level stuff from you ;)

I should have known better than to take a running back #2 overall in the draft!

You'll know the Steelers have really moved on when they start spending the cap money they have tied up waiting for Bell.

Who is even available at this point for them to spend it on during the season?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Sorry man, all I know is that I breathed a huge sigh of relief when the guy just ahead of me in Round 1 took him with the 6th pick. If he had fallen to me, I probably would have pulled the trigger.

No doubt. I took him pick 8 in another league, at least in that one I wasn't an idiot and grabber Conner!

Reaction Score
He is coming back during the bye week to get vacation pay and then play rest of season. Confirmed by CBS sports.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I literally traded for him this morning and gave up Dalvin Cook. Died laughing when I saw the news...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He is coming back during the bye week to get vacation pay and then play rest of season. Confirmed by CBS sports.

Savvy.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Steelers are the new Browns. They're awful. Adding Bell is putting lipstick on a pig.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Well, I regret drafting him, but I'm also glad I didn't trade him. While missing what amounts to half the fantasy regular season sucks, if you are treading water (I'm 2-2) I think hodling was the right move. He only misses two more games now.

Reaction Score
He might. I think he was stupid not to sign a long term deal as they reportedly offered. RBs aren't going to make as much as he seems to think he is worth. That being said, Pittsburgh uses him more than any other team uses a single RB in the modern era. His issue, in part, is that he is more likely to get hurt playing for the Steelers because he will have so many touches. The counterpoint is that their run blocking OL is superb, which is why Connor was effective. He had almost 100 yards before contact.

Smart move for Bell would be to report and then run like Franco Harris. Go out of bounds, go down easy when you aren't trying to get critical first down yardage, and ask for more breaks. He will make enough by reporting to be set for life, whatever his next deal. And he must have a good injury insurance policy.

The deal only had $17M of guaranteed money. That was the issue. Especially after the other backs got more money. He might lose out doing what he is doing - but hard to argue what he is saying after Earl Thomas goes down.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The deal only had $17M of guaranteed money. That was the issue. Especially after the other backs got more money. He might lose out doing what he is doing - but hard to argue what he is saying after Earl Thomas goes down.

I don't fault his reasoning given the landscape as you say, but I definitely question the landscape. Giving backs that much money is a bad move, no way around that. The only teams who can really make it work are those with quality young QBs on rookie contracts.

Reaction Score
I don't fault his reasoning given the landscape as you say, but I definitely question the landscape. Giving backs that much money is a bad move, no way around that. The only teams who can really make it work are those with quality young QBs on rookie contracts.

The amount of guaranteed money is crazy - even for Rodgers. This will come home to roost for sure. But good for the players.

Reaction Score

It is only too much money for most running backs. If you have a top three dual-threat RB, you pay him. Bell, Gurley, maybe Zeke Elliott would top that list at this point. Those guys can boost your Offense to Lombardi Trophy caliper.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It is only too much money for most running backs. If you have a top three dual-threat RB, you pay him. Bell, Gurley, maybe Zeke Elliott would top that list at this point. Those guys can boost your Offense to Lombardi Trophy caliper.

I don't think so. How many teams with those guys win Championships in today's day and age. None.

The fact is, you can get a stable of high quality backs for half the price. The Pats had 4 great/useful backs last year for $3.5 million. And having multiple quality options is always better given injury/wear and tear.

The extra money is then used to add lineman, ect. You can end up with 10 solid players for the price of one superlative back. The superlative back does not remotely add enough additional value to make up for this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Elliott? Please.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I don’t get why more teams don’t just try to extend their RBs after a year or two in the league. Offer a five year extension with decent money so you can have them all through their prime rather than having to extend these guys at 28 over 4 years so you can have them for one or two good years

Reaction Score
I don't think so. How many teams with those guys win Championships in today's day and age. None.

The fact is, you can get a stable of high quality backs for half the price. The Pats had 4 great/useful backs last year for $3.5 million. And having multiple quality options is always better given injury/wear and tear.

The extra money is then used to add lineman, ect. You can end up with 10 solid players for the price of one superlative back. The superlative back does not remotely add enough additional value to make up for this.

The Pats have Tom Brady. So I agree, if you have Tom Brady you don't pay one of those guys.

If you haven't seen the impact Gurley has on Rams you should take a look.

The Steelers were a perennial playoff team with Bell. Have you watched them this season?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom