OT: Le'Veon Bell | The Boneyard

OT: Le'Veon Bell

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What are the Yards thoughts on the situation? Real life and fantasy football related.

I was completely on Bell's side in terms of protecting his health to receive a big payday at the end of the season, however I read that the Steelers in fact offered him 5 years $75M ($30M guaranteed). Gurley just got $45M guaranteed, but from what I understand he has to play out the next two seasons at a base of $2.3M and then $9.6M.

If Bell can sit out until Week 12, he's already forfeiting around $8M in game checks, and then still has a chance to get hurt Week 12 - Playoffs. I tend to think Bell, the Steelers organization and the players are all within their right to feel slighted.

Fantasy related.

Yes, I drafted Bell. What do you guys think? I got a trade on the board Jordan Howard for Bell or Dalvin Cook for Bell...pull the trigger? If he said he's coming back Week 5, I'd keep him, but I think this may go the distance.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Whomever took James Connor is going to be one lucky SOB.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I took James Conner in my league, so I’m ecstatic. That being said, if Bell wants to sit out then more power to him. I get why an aging running back would be seeking to max out his value

Reaction Score
Bell and the Steelers weren't able to work out a long term contract agreement by the deadline (sometime in July). So he got FT'd. The Franchise Tag is something the NFLPA agreed to with the owners, correct? Shouldn't Bell take up his concerns with the NFLPA to not allow a player to be FT'd two years in a row?

From the average fan point of view, to be upset at making ONLY $14.5M a year seems pretty petty. And his OL teammates seem to agree.

I do think he'll show up Saturday so he doesn't lose a paycheck, but likely won't play week 1.

BTW I picked up James Conner in both of my FF leagues, in case Bell does sit out longer. But the Browns defense might actually be decent this year, so not sure about starting Conner week 1 ...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Bell and the Steelers weren't able to work out a long term contract agreement by the deadline (sometime in July). So he got FT'd. The Franchise Tag is something the NFLPA agreed to with the owners, correct? Shouldn't Bell take up his concerns with the NFLPA to not allow a player to be FT'd two years in a row?

From the average fan point of view, to be upset at making ONLY $14.5M a year seems pretty petty. And his OL teammates seem to agree.

I do think he'll show up Saturday so he doesn't lose a paycheck, but likely won't play week 1.

BTW I picked up James Conner in both of my FF leagues, in case Bell does sit out longer. But the Browns defense might actually be decent this year, so not sure about starting Conner week 1 ...

Depends on how many teams in the league. I’m starting him at flex, but am in a 14 team league

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm a Steeler fan and am bordering on can't stand the guy. When opening this thread I was hoping it was because he was traded. Amazing talent, but this is 2 years in a row he has been a training camp nightmare. @tiger8mush is spot on. Talk to the NFLPA if you don't like it. But honor your contract.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I'm a Steeler fan and am bordering on can't stand the guy. When opening this thread I was hoping it was because he was traded. Amazing talent, but this is 2 years in a row he has been a training camp nightmare. @tiger8mush is spot on. Talk to the NFLPA if you don't like it. But honor your contract.

Don't you see it from his perspective though? He just saw Todd Gurley get a guaranteed $45M, while the Steelers offer (which I got wrong above) was "only" $10M guaranteed.

While $15M seems astronomical for us, I try to think of these things on my terms. Would I work for less than I was worth, all while risking bodily injury? No. Especially given how the Steelers have run him into the ground the past few seasons.

Fantasy: Since at latest he'll be back Week 11, I'm gonna hang on to him and hope I'm good enough to sneak into the playoff hunt, and then get him back fresh Week 11,12,13 to end the regular season.

Reaction Score
Steelers bye is week 7. I bet he's out until after that. I drafted him 1st in one of my leagues. Doh! I call myself a Steelers fan (Pro football is a distant 6th in terms of my fandom).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I’m on Bell’s side here. Antonio Brown had about 100 or so touches last year. Bell had 4 times as many. If I’m Bell I sit out as long as I want to come back healthy next year and get paid. Short shelf life at that position.

How many weeks does he have to play to gain free agency?

Reaction Score
Steeler fan from the 'burgh...... Been with them from the early 60's.... As good as he has been, this maes me think this goes against the Steeler pedigree.... Have been a lot of great Steelers & organization has never really placed them above other players.... Could even make a case that Chuck Noll as far as organization 1st goes was like Billy Belichick..... The Steelers are better with Bell but I'm good if he stays out....

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Well that might be the only good rule they ever negotiated for themselves.

He has to have contract signed by I believe the Wednesday after Week 10 of the NFL season.

From my understanding Steelers can't rescind the Franchise tag, so he's not holding out for a new deal at this point but rather to preserve his health for the offseason.

In any event I feel like a moron for not drafting Conner.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He has to have contract signed by I believe the Wednesday after Week 10 of the NFL season.

From my understanding Steelers can't rescind the Franchise tag, so he's not holding out for a new deal at this point but rather to preserve his health for the offseason.

In any event I feel like a moron for not drafting Conner.

I still think he’ll come back before then - he’s in an awkward spot where if he holds out too long he’ll be poison. Plus I’m sure his agent is bankrolling him and the monetary pressure will mount.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't blame him for holding out. You play a position that has the shortest shelf life and you've been doing it at an elite level for a few years now. Then you see QBs getting ridiculous amounts of guaranteed money. Follow that up with what Mack just signed with the Bears and OBJ signed with the Giants, and I'd hold out too.

The money he's forfeiting is insignificant in the grander scheme. Why risk your career another year when you see players all around you starting to break through the guaranteed contract barrier and getting the money they should get.

I didn't draft Bell in my league thankfully.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I don't blame him for holding out. You play a position that has the shortest shelf life and you've been doing it at an elite level for a few years now. Then you see QBs getting ridiculous amounts of guaranteed money. Follow that up with what Mack just signed with the Bears and OBJ signed with the Giants, and I'd hold out too.

The money he's forfeiting is insignificant in the grander scheme. Why risk your career another year when you see players all around you starting to break through the guaranteed contract barrier and getting the money they should get.

I didn't draft Bell in my league thankfully.

Yup. RBs have to get creative in how they plan their careers between low longevity and decreased value of the position

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Yup. RBs have to get creative in how they plan their careers between low longevity and decreased value of the position
Agreed but I think Bell brings more value than most RB. He plays receiver as well as he runs the ball. He is highly versatile which makes him valuable to teams. The dude deserves his money.

Reaction Score
1. I hate fantasy football with a passion

2. Normally I am on the players side in these disputes, because I think they are grossly underpaid generally speaking. But when your teammates start speaking out against you, I start to wonder whether you've handled everything in an ideal way.

It's tough, though. The NFL gets away with underpaying their players in large part because of the guilt they know is driving them to come back to their teams. It'd be tricky to act in your own best interests while also keeping everyone else happy. It's also tough for an o-lineman to sit there - knowing that RB's are ultimately pretty expendable - and swallow the fact that he won't play for way more than you're making.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Agreed but I think Bell brings more value than most RB. He plays receiver as well as he runs the ball. He is highly versatile which makes him valuable to teams. The dude deserves his money.

Agreed, but I doubt he gets it. Approaching 30 and been a bell cow for several years. The number of RBs who have been top 5 for more than 5 years are few and far between

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom