OT: Legends in Sports | The Boneyard

OT: Legends in Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My friend and I view this very differently. He contends that guys like Bucky Dent and Eli Manning are legends. I say the term is reserved for guys like Babe Ruth, Joe Montana and Larry Bird. Essentially, under my definition the guy had to have achieved greatness to be considered as a legend.

Your thoughts?

Reaction Score
It depends on what you're legendary for.

Bill Buckner is a legend. So is Joe Kapp.

For very different reasons.

Reaction Score
They may have been involved in legendary games/moments, but in no world are those guys legends.

As of now, I don't even think Eli is a HOFer - not sure how you can be a "legend" without being one of the best in your game.

Reaction Score
You're completely right: legends have to play at a level that truly transcends the game; and maintain that level for many years, and at the highest stage. i.e., Ruth, Russell, Berra, Montana, Jordan, Gretzky, Brady (hate the guy, but he fits my definition)

EDIT: Pro Sports only. College is harder because they only have a finite amount if time to leave a mark

Reaction Score
is Joe Namath a legend, any Uconn legends at all Kemba, Ray?

Reaction Score
"Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die."

I think The Sandlot actually sums this argument up pretty well. Eli and Bucky Dent are heroes. Ruth, Montana, and Bird are legends.

Reaction Score
[quwoukdScoe, post: 737185, member: 957"]is Joe Namath a legend, any Uconn legends at all Kemba, Ray?[/quote]

I would put Namath in the legend camp. I would say that Kemba is a legend locally, but certainly not overall.

Reaction Score
[quwoukdScoe, post: 737185, member: 957"]is Joe Namath a legend, any Uconn legends at all Kemba, Ray?

I would put Namath in the legend camp. I would say that Kemba is a legend locally, but certainly not overall.[/quote]

Kemba is a Uconn legend, Ray is a shooting legend, JC is definetly a legend as is Geno. Legends are greater when they are retired or long gone.

Reaction Score
[quwoukdScoe, post: 737185, member: 957"]is Joe Namath a legend, any Uconn legends at all Kemba, Ray?

Namath is a legend off the field, on the field? If he is, Eli absolutely is. Namath had a lot more INTs than TDs for his career and had a 50% career completion percentage. Eli has as many SBs as Namath has playoff wins. Not saying Eli is a "legend" but Namath definitely is not.

Reaction Score
Sort of hard to compare QB's over the years since the rules have changed so much but yeah if Joe Namath is a legend than Eli certainly is.

Reaction Score

When John Facenda is the narrator for an hour long nfl film on you, you may be a legend. The reason they made the film is that you're the toughest SOB QB out there, and a little crazy to boot, you are a legend. Even if your career amounts to basically nothing.

Reaction Score
Namath is a legend off the field, on the field? If he is, Eli absolutely is. Namath had a lot more INTs than TDs for his career and had a 50% career completion percentage. Eli has as many SBs as Namath has playoff wins. Not saying Eli is a "legend" but Namath definitely is not.

Not many people know that they just know about Namath's guarantee and superbowl 3 win over the Colts which, Namath never deserved to win the Superbowl MVP that year it should have been Howard Snell. Namath is in the HOF because he helped form the AFL-NFL merger.

Reaction Score
Not many people know that they just know about Namath's guarantee and superbowl 3 win over the Colts which, Namath never deserved to win the Superbowl MVP that year it should have been Howard Snell. Namath is in the HOF because he helped form the AFL-NFL merger.

Was going to ask about Namath as he's a bit before my time (I was born in 79). Looking at his stats, he doesn't seem to be a "legend" yet he is revered. Was the Superbowl 3 guarantee and the Broadway Joe moniker the true source of his "legend" or are his stats just not indicative of how good he was?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Namath is a legendary personality, not a legendary QB...Eli is neither, which doesn't mean he's not a hero to Giants fans.

Reaction Score
Your friend needs to be slapped if he says Eli is a legend.

Guys that win Super Bowls can be legends........is Dan Marino a legend? Tom Brady?

Normally I'm with the Michael Jordans, Mickey Mantles, Ted Williams, Babe Ruth, Jerry West, Arnold Palmer........etc etc.......

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
hero and legend in sports is the same thing. eli is a legend for being the greatest giants qb ever and for winning 2 SB in 5 years, guys like marino don't even win any and is considered a legend

Reaction Score
Eli had lights out defenses and threw 2 miracle passes. No way a legend.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but Eli is mediocre. In no way is he a legend.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

I have no dog in the hunt being a fan of Arizona, but to suggest Eli is mediocre is ridiculous. A legend, maybe not. But any QB who has two rings in the current era is not mediocre. You can no longer win super bowls with a mediocre QB.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The use of the term legend is almost a goof these days. Like when are guys introduced as "the great". As in "the great Mark Schlereth".

Reaction Score

Yeah he's mediocre.......then brady sucks right!! Spoken like a true Sox/Pats fan....."lucky" passes, great defense won?? Funny stuff bass get over it they own you!;).......good news for you is you kinda get the Duke/Uconn, UK/UConn thing then form the Duke and UK side huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom