OT - Kyrie Irving - Hurt yet again . . . | The Boneyard

OT - Kyrie Irving - Hurt yet again . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saw a comment that the Cavs "should have drafted Kemba." Made me smile.

Love Irving. Love his game. Love that he didn't end up helping Puke much. Love his Uncle Drew commercials, but Cleveland should trade him right now, while he's one of the hottest prospects in the league. He's your next Greg Oden. Kid is always hurt.

There's just some guys who are frail, for whatever reason. He's had bad toes, fractured jaw, broken hand, sprained shoulder, bad other shoulder, hyperextended knee.

He had shoulder issues in HS. Toe in College. Multiple issues in NBA.

The Uncle Drew thing might end up being crazily ironic.

Reaction Score
Saw a comment that the Cavs "should have drafted Kemba." Made me smile.

Love Irving. Love his game. Love that he didn't end up helping Puke much. Love his Uncle Drew commercials, but Cleveland should trade him right now, while he's one of the hottest prospects in the league. He's your next Greg Oden. Kid is always hurt.

The Cavs are frontrunners to sign Oden this off season too.

Reaction Score
They would be crazy to trade him. Yes he has had injuries, but has still managed to win the rookie of the year award and make the all-star team in his first two years. He has been a much needed breath of fresh air for Cleveland, they wouldn't get equal value in return. The NBA is star's league and he is a star. He isn't like Oden. Oden didn't accomplish anything even close to what Irving has done in two season.

Reaction Score
A little bit of an overreaction by the OP here. With nothing to play for the Cavs are going to protect their star player and tank to get a better draft pick, the NBA is the one sport where you have to get worse in order to get better.

Reaction Score
A little bit of an overreaction by the OP here. With nothing to play for the Cavs are going to protect their star player and tank to get a better draft pick, the NBA is the one sport where you have to get worse in order to get better.
Not overreacting. I have never seen a young player injured nearly as much as this kid. The writing is on the wall. His value is maximum right now. A couple more nagging injuries, or a major one, and his stock is going to drop like a rock. Talent doesn't help you if it's dressed in street clothes.

I said the same thing with Oden. They should have traded him after the 2nd injury benched him. Instead, train wreck.
With a guy like Irving, it's only going to get worse, as his game depends on explosiveness, which is beating up his body. Sullinger is another guy. Let him come back, score 25 for a few games, and trade him.

Take Westbrook. Isn't it true that he hasn't missed a game since high school? Amazing.

I wish the kid well, but it's just remarkable how frail he is.

Reaction Score
These aren't chronic injuries to the same part of his body. He had the toe injury (?), now a shoulder injury. They seem more like freak accidents.

Also, the Cavs are tanking. Don't be surprised if they're playing this up.

Reaction Score
Not overreacting. I have never seen a young player injured nearly as much as this kid. The writing is on the wall. His value is maximum right now. A couple more nagging injuries, or a major one, and his stock is going to drop like a rock. Talent doesn't help you if it's dressed in street clothes.

I said the same thing with Oden. They should have traded him after the 2nd injury benched him. Instead, train wreck.
With a guy like Irving, it's only going to get worse, as his game depends on explosiveness, which is beating up his body. Sullinger is another guy. Let him come back, score 25 for a few games, and trade him.

Take Westbrook. Isn't it true that he hasn't missed a game since high school? Amazing.

I wish the kid well, but it's just remarkable how frail he is.
Didn't MJ miss a greater proportion of his first two years in the league?

Reaction Score
Didn't MJ miss a greater proportion of his first two years in the league?
No. Jordon broke his foot 2nd year. Other than that, the guy barely missed any games his entire career.

You said, "they seem like freak accidents." Yes! That's my point exactly! They are. Freakish.
Shoulder strain, broken jaw, hyperextended knee, toe injury, different shoulder strain, broken hand.
That in less than 3 seasons of play on a 20 year oldish body.

We'll see what happens. I hope he plays for 20 years.

Reaction Score
It is what it is injuries can and will happen these guys arent made out of steel.
No. Jordon broke his foot 2nd year. Other than that, the guy barely missed any games his entire career.

You said, "they seem like freak accidents." Yes! That's my point exactly! They are. Freakish.
Shoulder strain, broken jaw, hyperextended knee, toe injury, different shoulder strain, broken hand.

It is what it is injuries can and will happen these guys arent made out of steel. Im not saying Kyrie won't have injuries but who do you suggest they trade him for. No one is gonna be 100 percent through an 82 game season.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
The uncle Drew bits are awesome & actually written by Irving. Sorry he is hurt, his game is top notch...definitely one of the most like able Dookies.

Reaction Score
The uncle Drew bits are awesome & actually written by Irving. Sorry he is hurt, his game is top notch...definitely one of the most like able Dookies.

Because he wasn't around long enough or play enough in Durham to get the official amount of hugs leading to be your prototypical Duke a**hole!!!;)

Reaction Score

Right, that's my point. It seems hard to project freakish injuries out beyond this. Jordan missed a ton of games in year two as well; or, instead, go with Blake Griffin.

You don't give up on a talent like Irving this soon...

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

I find myself liking him despite being from Dook. His handle is just absolutely sick and I hope he can stay healthy and develop the rest of his game

Reaction Score
Is this a quasi dook thread or a Cav's thread? Interesting because I have never seen a true Cavs fan on this board.

We are UConn dammit!!

Reaction Score
Right, that's my point. It seems hard to project freakish injuries out beyond this. Jordan missed a ton of games in year two as well; or, instead, go with Blake Griffin.

You don't give up on a talent like Irving this soon...
I mostly agree with this and that it is likely they are being cautious with the latest injury to maximize draft position. BUT it is an interesting observation. No way can they or will they trade Irving as he represents HOPE and even if they got equal value back they still need a lot more years and players.

Taking it hardcore economic, IF Irving was a stock I'd be selling right now. But he's a basketball player and the Cavs can sell a hell of a lot more 13-14 season tickets with him on the team.

Reaction Score
Should the Pistons trade Drummond? Broken nose, hurt his foot last year, stress fracture in his back this year.

Reaction Score
I know he's been hurt but I think the Cavs shutting him down last year and again this year is just them tanking. Cavs would be crazy to trade him, they were fortunate enough to have that #1 pick fall in their lap due to the Clippers stupidity.

Reaction Score
Should the Pistons trade Drummond? Broken nose, hurt his foot last year, stress fracture in his back this year.
I know that's sarcastic, but if like Irving there is a 3rd consecutive year of injury it has to be considered. Not unprecedented, see Bynum, Andrew.

Besides the fact that the Cavs aren't for a second entertaining trading Kyri Irving, the biggest flaw in comparing the two is that Irving's stock is among top-10 in league right now and arguably peaking. Drummond has shown glimpses but he's not near potential peak.

Reaction Score
I know that's sarcastic, but if like Irving there is a 3rd consecutive year of injury it has to be considered. Not unprecedented, see Bynum, Andrew.

Besides the fact that the Cavs aren't for a second entertaining trading Kyri Irving, the biggest flaw in comparing the two is that Irving's stock is among top-10 in league right now and arguably peaking. Drummond has shown glimpses but he's not near potential peak.

No FA is gonna wanna leave their current team to play for Cleveland especially knowing that Kyrie is leaving. What Cleveland should try to do is go get another star to pair him up with either through the draft or FA. Well they could have drafted AD.

Reaction Score
That is what Cleveland is trying to do right? I think the original point was that they have to at least consider trading him. Its purely a hypothetical though as that is not what they are doing and I don't think there is any player in the league that they could get to make it worthwhile as you'd need cheap, young, say top-15 talent locked up long-term. Also a moot point because Cleveland's actual plan is to add the 2nd star via the draft and then try to get LeBron back in 2015 or whenever he is up.

Reaction Score
Biceps tear. Speculation that he could be out for season.
I hope he comes back soon.

2 things to gather from this.

Injury prone is now confirmed. He's 21 and he's had 10 or so injuries. It only gets worse as he gets older. If he is, indeed, gone for the year, his long term stock is going to start to drop. Cavs should consider trading him before he has a recurrent injury - e.g. - a re-tear of the same muscle. Not sure what they can get, but dominant franchises aren't built around guys who miss several months a year, and if you're unsure of that, I'm sure Portland's management team can confirm.

LeBron would have to be taking a heavy dose of stupid serum to even consider coming back to Cleveland, where sports are currently a slow moving train wreck wherein each car of the train has a large dumpster that is burning furiously.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Best spoof commercials since LJ as Grandmama.

Ironic, don't you think?

Reaction Score
he's been injured from literally head to toe, I know he's gonna get a max deal anyway but with his injury history, and the fact that he really hasn't elevated the Cavs at all, it seems crazy to give him one. When Steph Curry was up for his extension all the worry was about his ankles but he was never injured as much as this dude. A funny joke that I read on another board was that maybe he's been Uncle Drew disguised as a young dude all this time.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's a bicep strain, combined with organizational lottery aspirations.

I think he needs to get stronger - he plays with an abandon that puts that skinny frame in harm's way. (e.g. Blake Griffin nearly tearing his arm off the other night.) It's the perils of trying to carrying a tire fire of an organization. That said, he's played 64 games this season which is pretty good for a person who is apparently disintegrating like a leper.

If the Cavaliers try to trade him, every single team should try to elbow their way to the front of the line.

MrP

Reaction Score
[quote="Perspective, post: 535318, member: 3324"

.[/quote]

Had to respond here... Westbrook missed from Christmas to Valentines Day THIS SEASON with a major injury, and he has been out a number of games in the past as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom