OT Kinda: Men’s CBB Today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Kinda: Men’s CBB Today

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's pretty simple: Conference realignment ended decades long rivalries, transfer market killed roster continuity and the G league, overtime elite, etc took a lot of talent that could have been stars at the college level.

With that formula it's hard for the college game to be really anything but for the die hards up until March.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Isn’t women’s basketball played this way?

Asking because they still seem to have stars.

I don’t think there are star teams outside of us either.
I think K Sampson's teams at UHouston are fairly balanced year after year with players who fill multiple roles - yeah they have may one main star but all the others have valuable contributions as well.

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple: Conference realignment ended decades long rivalries, transfer market killed roster continuity and the G league, overtime elite, etc took a lot of talent that could have been stars at the college level.

With that formula it's hard for the college game to be really anything but for the die hards up until March.
I don't think the #'s bear that out and as for this thread and all the stars in women's basketball getting everyone to watch, it's nonsense. It's all Caitlin Clark, everyone is tuning in to watch her play. It has nothing to do with all the other stars in women's basketball. It's one person.

Reaction Score
Great, another thread to dunk on the same ignorant posters

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't think the #'s bear that out and as for this thread and all the stars in women's basketball getting everyone to watch, it's nonsense. It's all Caitlin Clark, everyone is tuning in to watch her play. It has nothing to do with all the other stars in women's basketball. It's one person.

4 of the least watched NCAA title games of all time have been in the last 6 years and ratings for Elite 8, Final 4 and title game were down double digits from year prior.

College Basketball TV ratings 2024: Women's and men's TV viewership before March Madness

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think K Sampson's teams at UHouston are fairly balanced year after year with players who fill multiple roles - yeah they have may one main star but all the others have valuable contributions as well.
I like Houston. They seem to be in the Gonzaga great team category until they can get over that championship hump.

Reaction Score
tbh I don't even really hear Paige's name ringing bells like that this year, UConn women aren't even a big factor or relevant in the storylines other than discussing their injuries. I hear and see Juju Watkins name more in media/social media but then again my algorithm is probably different than other folks on this board.
That's because Watkins and Clark are shooting 30-40 times a game. Bueckers never comes close to that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Think development of stars are important to the overall game of basketball. If college basketball isn’t the place for that, it’s not doing its job to help the overall game of basketball.
There are stars. The failing here is entirely on the media. As soon as the tournament starts people are going to be wowed by some of these guys. Most of America has never seen Stephon Castle for example. He could easily explode on the scene.

Reaction Score
That's because Watkins and Clark are shooting 30-40 times a game. Bueckers never comes close to that.
I think Juju and Clark have 3 games each with 30 or more FGAs, none with 40. Paige should honestly be on ball and shooting more like Dawn Staley said, especially in those non-conference games where they got smacked up. No expectations on them this year to make a real deep run, I would like to see Paige empty the clip and be more selfish in the tourney because that team is going to need it against non-BE teams.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
WBB is heavily promoting its stars as a way to draw casual fan interest.

I don't think MBB suffers that same issue. Furthermore, WBB stars are the same from year to year (Clark, Bueckers, etc.), while MBB stars usually leave after a year.
All of this.

There also is a lot more parity in the college men’s game, even among the best of the best.

Cooper Flagg will get Caitlin Clark type coverage (like Zion did) and it will be super charged by him wearing a Duke uniform.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Matchups and some of them were on cable TV, when they always used to be on CBS.

I mean, in some cases sure. But to say the numbers don't reflect that there is lower interest.. compared to what?

Reaction Score
I mean, in some cases sure. But to say the numbers don't reflect that there is lower interest.. compared to what?
And the NBA finals in the 80's and 90's got double and triple the ratings it gets for the NBA finals these days.

I don't think the #'s bear out that people are watching less college basketball because of transfers, the G league and longstanding rivalries being gone. You also said people wait to watch until March Madness and now you're throwing national championship TV #'s around.

Reaction Score
Not saying that college basketball is what it was in the 80s and 90s but the media is lazy they go for click bate and no research and the general sports fan isnt very smart and impatient and yes that does include HOF KG and PP.

Is Caitlin Clark the GOAT all of the sudden because someone saw her play for the first time, oh it’s not Stewie because ya know she went to UConn anybody can just win 4 national championships I guess, No denying Clark’s greatness will the media talk about about Bueckers playing position less for essentially 40 minutes.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Not saying that college basketball is what it was in the 80s and 90s but the media is lazy they go for click bate and no research and the general sports fan isnt very smart and impatient and yes that does include HOF KG and PP.

Is Caitlin Clark the GOAT all of the sudden because someone saw her play for the first time, oh it’s not Stewie because ya know she went to UConn anybody can just win 4 national championships I guess, No denying Clark’s greatness will the media talk about about Bueckers playing position less for essentially 40 minutes.
Do people think college basketball is even what it was in the 2000s and 2010s?

Reaction Score
Do people think college basketball is even what it was in the 2000s and 2010s?
Better than the 2010's. Transfer portal, the extra Covid season, along with the top big men staying in college makes it better.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Better than the 2010's. Transfer portal, the extra Covid season, along with the top big men staying in college makes it better.
So the bigs today are better than guys like Anthony Davis, Jared Sullinger, Jahlil Okafor, Deandre Ayton, and more.

Got it.

Reaction Score
It could be single players not scoring as much too. In 2011 Kemba and Jimmer Fredette got a lot of buzz but they were scoring close to 30 a game, we just don’t see that much anymore.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
And the NBA finals in the 80's and 90's got double and triple the ratings it gets for the NBA finals these days.

I don't think the #'s bear out that people are watching less college basketball because of transfers, the G league and longstanding rivalries being gone. You also said people wait to watch until March Madness and now you're throwing national championship TV #'s around.

You said the numbers don't bare that. I gave you numbers and you're still in disagreement.. without anything to substantiate it other than that's what you think?

I threw out the title games, final 4 and regional finals all being down. More people watch MM than the regular season. So, unless your supposition is that the regular season ratings were up and MM was down, I don't see your point.

Reaction Score
You said the numbers don't bare that. I gave you numbers and you're still in disagreement.. without anything to substantiate it other than that's what you think?

I threw out the title games, final 4 and regional finals all being down. More people watch MM than the regular season. So, unless your supposition is that the regular season ratings were up and MM was down, I don't see your point.
The larger point is that it's not exclusive to college basketball. Numbers are largely down across all of TV, people don't watch as much as they did in the past

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Yes, it's a much better product today to anyone who watches
I went back recently and rewatched the 1999 championship game. I recommend anyone do the same and try to take any emotion out of it. Compare the product to what you’ve watched this season. The modern product is night and day better (yes I know this will get a lot of folks fired up).

Reaction Score
I went back recently and rewatched the 1999 championship game. I recommend anyone do the same and try to take any emotion out of it. Compare the product to what you’ve watched this season. It’s night and day better (yes I know this will get a lot of folks fired up).
The game evolves, Rip would be shooting more 3s today and score more points same with his NBA career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom