OT Kinda: Men’s CBB Today | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Kinda: Men’s CBB Today

Reaction Score

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
can someone explain to me why I’m supposed to care whether casual sports idiots like college basketball? I’ll hang up and listen.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
can someone explain to me why I’m supposed to care whether casual sports idiots like college basketball? I’ll hang up and listen.
The more people that watch, the higher the value of the broacastng rights, the higher the payouts to the schools. No?

Reaction Score
The game evolves, Rip would be shooting more 3s today and score more points same with his NBA career.
I think you misunderstood my point. I’m not saying the talent level is higher now, I’m saying it’s a better product with much better ball movement, less iso, and rule changes that have made the product much better (e.g. the restricted zone).

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think you misunderstood my point. I’m not saying the talent level is higher now, I’m saying it’s a better product with much better ball movement, less iso, and rule changes that have made the product much better (e.g. the restricted zone).
Do you like watching Euroleague basketball over the NBA too?

Reaction Score
Too bad you can't filter for this year's or last year's team.
Last years team is under UConn not Connecticut, it’s weird for instance there’s BYU then Brigham Young. This years teams should be available the week of the tourney.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
The more people that watch, the higher the value of the broacastng rights, the higher the payouts to the schools. No?
Also, more people watch and care about your team and players being dominant.

Like 13 years later guys are talking about Kemba’s sneaker collection because he was so popular (and made casuals want to watch) which is insane.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The larger point is that it's not exclusive to college basketball. Numbers are largely down across all of TV, people don't watch as much as they did in the past

That's a lot different than what @superjohn posted or rather "thinks".

Sports across the board besides the NFL have made many moves to try and appeal to the lowest common denominator with more playoff teams/games and gimmicks and in turn sold out a lot of the core fan bases. I think that more than anything is why interest is down across the board.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yes, that's why I said largely down because there's always going to be exceptions. Which is why it broke a record from 2020 and not 2023
The Wolverines’ first national title in nearly three decades ranks as a top 15 cable telecast all-time and the fourth-best non-NFL sports telecast since 2018.

Reaction Score
You said the numbers don't bare that. I gave you numbers and you're still in disagreement.. without anything to substantiate it other than that's what you think?

I threw out the title games, final 4 and regional finals all being down. More people watch MM than the regular season. So, unless your supposition is that the regular season ratings were up and MM was down, I don't see your point.
Yep, you posted an opinion piece that talks about the writer's opinion on why late March Madness #'s are down, it doesn't even align with your opinions in post #26 which I responded to. I gave you my opinion on why those numbers are down.

Your post was about the regular season. Then you posted in another post about four of the last 6 title games being the lowest. I told you some of those games were on cable TV and it's about matchups. Nothing about last season, nothing about the opening round.

Reaction Score
So the bigs today are better than guys like Anthony Davis, Jared Sullinger, Jahlil Okafor, Deandre Ayton, and more.

Got it.
The bigs are different today and yes I'll take several recent bigs over all those guys except for AD.

August_West

Reaction Score
Why do I care about the value of broadcast rights? As long as college athletics are tethered to football none of this matters one whit.

Reaction Score
Do you like watching Euroleague basketball over the NBA too?
Just go rewatch that title game and then come talk to me. It’s ugly offense, half the defense is dudes just trying to draw charges. It’s just not an aesthetically pleasing product compared to what we have today. No idea what that has to do with Euro vs NBA.

Reaction Score
Also, more people watch and care about your team and players being dominant.

Like 13 years later guys are talking about Kemba’s sneaker collection because he was so popular (and made casuals want to watch) which is insane.

I miss the days when guys really broke out heat like this, now everyone pretty much wears the standard team issued PEs

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Just go rewatch that title game and then come talk to me. It’s ugly offense, half the defense is dudes just trying to draw charges. It’s just not an aesthetically pleasing product compared to what we have today. No idea what that has to do with Euro vs NBA.
Personally, i don’t care as much about watching really good offense as i do about watching special talent.

The draw to the game is watching a Rip Hamilton as a young star and on Duke’s side Shane Battier battle it out. If you’d rather watch great offense over great talent I feel like that’s the equivalent of wanting to watch Euro basketball over the NBA.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yep, you posted an opinion piece that talks about the writer's opinion on why late March Madness #'s are down, it doesn't even align with your opinions in post #26 which I responded to. I gave you my opinion on why those numbers are down.

Your post was about the regular season. Then you posted in another post about four of the last 6 title games being the lowest. I told you some of those games were on cable TV and it's about matchups. Nothing about last season, nothing about the opening round.

Nobody is stopping you from posting numbers speaking to the contrary.

CBB numbers are down and it seems impossible to argue that it isn't because of the reasons I cited above.

August_West

Reaction Score
Personally, i don’t care as much about watching really good offense as i do about watching special talent.

The draw to the game is watching a Rip Hamilton as a young star and on Duke’s side Shane Battier battle it out. If you’d rather watch great offense over great talent I feel like that’s the equivalent of wanting to watch Euro basketball over the NBA.
Then you shouldnt watch college hoops. Like Calhoun once said. “In college you root for the front of the jerseys in the nba you root for the back. “ And that was in an era when players stayed 3-4 years! My favorite sports team for 40 years has been the people wearing Connecticut across the front. Didn’t and doesn’t matter “ special talent” lololol.

Reaction Score

Your comp is nonsensical. The NBA is a better product than Euro and has better talent. I get that you’d rather watch star players than better basketball, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a better product now.

Reaction Score
Then you shouldnt watch college hoops. Like Calhoun once said. “In college you root for the front of the jerseys in the nba you root for the back. “ And that was in an era when players stayed 3-4 years! My favorite sports team for 40 years has been the people wearing Connecticut across the front. Didn’t and doesn’t matter “ special talent” lololol.
He's already admitted he doesn't even watch college basketball outside UConn. Yet he's the expert and we should all listen to his opinion on how bad the game is

Reaction Score
He doesn't watch college basketball.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Your comp is nonsensical. The NBA is a better product than Euro and has better talent. I get that you’d rather watch star players than better basketball, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a better product now.
Don’t they run better offense in Europe though? That’s why the NBA has been trying to emulate it.
I too love UConn and it makes me really proud all the stars we’ve been able to produce with our jersey on. It makes us really fun to watch.

I never cared that Caron, Ben, Emeka, Kemba, etc etc weren’t a part of the best offenses. Did you not still love watching all those guys play?

Calhoun also said you adjust your offense to your players not vice versa if we want to pull Calhoun quotes. So there’s no “one offense fits all” style.

August_West

Reaction Score
He doesn't watch college basketball.
Why’s he posting here then? Its all so confusing,
Simple Man Cowboy GIF

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He's already admitted he doesn't even watch college basketball outside UConn. Yet he's the expert and we should all listen to his opinion on how bad the game is
Why does not watching todays game stretched to not knowing general basketball?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom