OT: Kentucky vs. Kansas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Kentucky vs. Kansas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you can say they're really overrated. They just cannot create any decent scoring opportunities against this defense. I don't think UConn would be scoring from inside 15 feet either. KU's got more capable interior scoring than Connecticut does and they're helpless.
UConn's guard play is way better than the Jayhawks though.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know how good or bad Kansas is - they really do not have a great point guard for about the fifth straight year.

But Kentucky...whoa.

They're good at ten positions - the defense is simply terrific.

Reaction Score
Kentucky is ridiculous, but KU's guard/perimeter play is weak like I expected. Don't understand why CBB media was rating their backcourt so high, I don't see it.
Selden isn't even close to the player I thought he would be coming out of high school.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how you can say they're really overrated. They just cannot create any decent scoring opportunities against this defense. I don't think UConn would be scoring from inside 15 feet either. KU's got more capable interior scoring than Connecticut does and they're helpless.
I didn't say anything about their interior scoring. I said they're overrated because they are. You think after watching this team they're the 5th best team in the country? I don't think so, not yet anyways. And its their guards that they have more to worry about than their interior play, especially their point guard.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
UK finished with as many blocks as KU had fieldgoals (11).

I don't care how overrated this Kansas team may be... that's just really impressive defensively by UK. Dominant. They go 10 deep. And they rebound on the offensive and defensive ends. I hate to say it but its looking like UK is a heavy favorite to win it all, as much as I hate Calipari and his slimy ass.

Reaction Score
Calipari really does make my skin crawl, I guess there always has to be a villain.

Reaction Score
I said they're overrated because they are. You think after watching this team they're the 5th best team in the country?

Oh well, I suppose if you say they are then they are. They didn't look like the fifth best team in the country against Kentucky, but I don't know how many teams would have fared much better tonight.

I know, I know, UConn would have run circles around Kentucky tonight because TSam.

Reaction Score
Oh well, I suppose if you say they are then they are. They didn't look like the fifth best team in the country against Kentucky, but I don't know how many teams would have fared much better tonight.

I know, I know, UConn would have run circles around Kentucky tonight because TSam.
Obviously dude

Reaction Score
The problem with UK is you ball fake time inside and there's someone else waiting as the secondary shot blocker and he may be even longer.......it is ridiculous. We have to start finding teams capable of beating them one night in April.......there won't be many. He doesn't even need to be a good coach, and he's not. This is a wind up team!

Reaction Score
One thing is for sure.

After hearing that Kentucky love fest for 4+ straight hours, and seeing the highlights over and over again tonight and tomorrow, I could not be more ready for the game to start Thursday..

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The problem with UK is you ball fake time inside and there's someone else waiting as the secondary shot blocker and he may be even longer..it is ridiculous. We have to start finding teams capable of beating them one night in April..there won't be many. He doesn't even need to be a good coach, and he's not. This is a wind up team!

We do?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
UK finished with as many blocks as KU had fieldgoals (11). I don't care how overrated this Kansas team may be... that's just really impressive defensively by UK. Dominant. They go 10 deep.

Yeah, if UCONN did that against a team like Bryant, I'd be going nuts. Doing it against KU is another level or two.

Reaction Score
So now defense is impressive? I remember when we did the same to Butler the media diminished it as lousy basketball.

This season will be unbearable with the same ole story on Calipari/KY. There is something seriously wrong with a "platoon" of high school All Americans sitting on one bench in this day and age of media exposure for programs.

Reaction Score
We do?

I'll need to see a lot more if I am to believe that LOL

By the way I was really disappointed in Jay Bilas tonight. The kool aid was dripping down his chin on the Kentucky team, never heard him so comparable to Dicky and Duke as tonight. I get they are fun to watch and spectacular at times, but they are ugly and out of control too. When he said "Kanasas needs some stops as Kentucky has been scoring at will" with about 15 minutes left I almost laughed. I mean they had 48 points 25 minute into the game. There were probably 20 teams that had more than that today at that point of their game. At will? Geez can we reel it back in a little Jay?

Reaction Score
Kentucky was dominant tonight and they may solidify themselves in the coming month or two as an overwhelming favorite to win it all. But I'm not ready to declare them unbeatable on the basis of swallowing an unprepared Kansas team (and yes, I know there is no way to prepare for Kentucky's size, but Self was pouring gasoline on the fire with his refusal to engage Kentucky's big men in ball screens or make anything resembling an adjustment). I would imagine that a team like Wisconsin would give UK some trouble.

Reaction Score
My guess is by the end of the year we will have the best backcourt in the country.

Maybe. Cassell is very skilled and seems to have inherited a basketball IQ. I think his shot is going to be reliable. I don't think he's particularly athletic but I think he'll be a solid contributor every night. TSam is - in my opinion - a great defender and slasher. I don't think he's going to be a jump shooter and he's more of an attack guard than a true point.

I think Purvis can be Terrence on steroids. Omar is a question mark right now but I think i'm probably more optimistic than most on his contribution this year. If you want to throw Hamilton into the mix as part of the backcourt that's fine with me. Can that be the best collection in the country by the end of the year? Maybe, I guess. I haven't seen enough teams to say one way or another.

Reliable shooting might be a concern, particularly because I don't think they're going to generate much offense from the frontcourt beyond put-backs and dump-offs. I still maintain that they're going to have a tough time scoring some nights. I think the backcourt's primary value right now is its depth.

(I left Boatright out of this because he goes without saying.)

Reaction Score
I almost dont get how they play essentially 2 C's and one PF in both units yet seem to be quick still.

The plan against them is press and trap full court and then in the halfcourt quick doubling to force TO's. Cant let the ball get into the paint. On the other end quick strikes high % 3 pt shooting spreading the floor with quickness and speed. You need to hit the first punch and it has to be hard and there can be no let ups as they won't

Reaction Score
I almost dont get how they play essentially 2 C's and one PF in both units yet seem to be quick still.

The plan against them is press and trap full court and then in the halfcourt quick doubling to force TO's. Cant let the ball get into the paint. On the other end quick strikes high % 3 pt shooting spreading the floor with quickness and speed. You need to hit the first punch and it has to be hard and there can be no let ups as they won't

Because Towns and Lyles are both 6-11 250 with small forward skills... Other than Johnson, all of their big men are exceedingly athletic. So you can essentially play Towns and Lyles as 3's. It's a pretty ridiculous collection of talent.

Reaction Score

They're a very, very impressive collection of size and talent. What they did last night was impressive. But that's it for now.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
It'll be about guards. Maybe Kentucky will be the first team in forever to just outsize everyone, but you hardly ever win in college based on big guys. Maybe they will, or maybe the Harrisons are much improved. But that's yet to be seen.

Reaction Score
UK won't be able to get away with having Lyles at the 3 every game. Kansas couldn't really exploit it last night(I'm surprised at how lost Oubre looks so far this season), but a team with an athletic wing who can shoot and do damage off the bounce should be able to give Lyles major problems if Calipari is going to play him exclusively on the wing like that. Lyles is skilled but he's not the greatest athlete and he's really only playing out on the wing because of the logjam up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom