OT Joe Girard to Syracuse | The Boneyard

OT Joe Girard to Syracuse

Reaction Score
Anyone know why we didn't go after Joe Girard? I watched some of The Basketball Tournament and saw Jimmer Fredette having great games and Girard is supposedly as good or better a shooter and is also a great football player. You don't have to be NBA material to be a great college player, and Girard seems to have gotten a lot of attention from the following group:

Glens Falls (N.Y.) sensation Joe Girard III announces his top six colleges

Reaction Score
I’ve seen him play live both sports over the past three years - he’s a real good player, but when things aren’t going his way he has a piss poor attitude. Section 2 kisses that kids ass more than people kiss the popes ring so it’s kind of funny.

To the topic at hand - he’s been rumored to be a very heavy Michigan lean because there are family connections to Beilein. Girards dad played for Beilein at LeMoyne in the 90’s. Guys I know who are plugged into the hoops scene up here think Michigan is the heavy favorite, but who knows.

He visited UCONN last year (I think that’s right) but there was zero chance he was coming here.

Reaction Score
Honestly I don’t care for him as a player. I think he’ll be somewhat of a flop compared to his HS pedigree, he seems too small to be effective.

Reaction Score
I’ve seen him play live both sports over the past three years - he’s a real good player, but when things aren’t going his way he has a piss poor attitude. Section 2 kisses that kids ass more than people kiss the popes ring so it’s kind of funny.

To the topic at hand - he’s been rumored to be a very heavy Michigan lean because there are family connections to Beilein. Girards dad played for Beilein at LeMoyne in the 90’s. Guys I know who are plugged into the hoops scene up here think Michigan is the heavy favorite, but who knows.

He visited UCONN last year (I think that’s right) but there was zero chance he was coming here.

If my memory serves me correctly (and it really doesn’t quite often these days :eek:) UConn either lost to a cupcake or got ripped up by someone when he visited.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure he was at the XL for the Villanova game.

Reaction Score
Some may be interested as an upstate NY UConn fan it is of some note to me.

He was mentioned a bit on the board back in spring but never seriously as a possible recruit.

Reaction Score
Yankees made a huge mistake letting him go. And I say this as a Sox fan who enjoys seeing Boone get outmaneuvered.

This comment will not get the love it so richly deserves.

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
Obviously he’s a great shooter, but he chose SuckaCuse because he’s not a good defensive player at all and he can hide in their zone. (and it’s close to home for him)

Watched him a few times last year live and my team scrimmaged against his before one of our class A playoff games last year and he wouldn’t have fit in our system from what I saw..

Reaction Score
It will be interesting - he can shoot from anywhere, but for some reason I'm just not convinced that he's the next coming of basketball Jesus. Part of my distaste for JG3 is the absurd amount of fawning over him in Section II, but it's not just him that gets that treatment, it seems very odd to me.

He'll be ok, but will he be a transcendent player, probably not.

Reaction Score
Why?

He's not a PG and is 6' 1. Not great defensively and from the little I've seen don't think he has the quickness/ handle to create separation and get his shot off. He will be a solid 4 year player who has the ability to be a knockdown shooter.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I know nothing about him that’s why I asked. Seek help
I don't either. I just thought you were making a joke about someone assuming his game won't translate to college because he's white so I was playing off that- wasn't making fun. Forget me, carry on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It will be interesting - he can shoot from anywhere, but for some reason I'm just not convinced that he's the next coming of basketball Jesus. Part of my distaste for JG3 is the absurd amount of fawning over him in Section II, but it's not just him that gets that treatment, it seems very odd to me.

He'll be ok, but will he be a transcendent player, probably not.

To Syracuse, he looks like a Gerry McNamara clone. Not that athletic, not great defensively, but a knock down shooter, volume shooter, with in-the-gym range, and big balls. Kid averaged over 50 points a game as a junior. Sure, against mediocre competition, but still, those are crazy numbers. And he did very well in EYBL, as did Boeheim's son. The two of them played with Isaiah Stewart in AAU ball. And we just got an official visit from Stewart.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom