OT: Jimmy G Traded to San Francisco | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Jimmy G Traded to San Francisco

Reaction Score
They now have enough to tag Butler next season. Gilmore’s been a bust and I think that’s the motivation here. It’s Belichick though so I could be 100% wrong on this but to get a top 35 pick for a QB you can’t hold on to past this season at this point in the season and now being able to sign your best corner isn’t horrible.

Reaction Score
This is the last year of Jimmy G's contract so wouldn't be able to make a deal after the season and Pats aren't winning a SB if Brady goes down anyways.

Fine. Then deal Garappolo before the season and hang onto Brissett.

With Rodgers out in Green Bay, the Giants out and no real world beaters left are you saying Brissett for 7-8 games, then the postseason couldn't beat KC or Pitt at Gillette? You'd rather have Hoyer?

Reaction Score
Hoyer is probably on his way to Logan as we speak...wouldn't be at all surprised if he signs a two year deal with the Pats.
It's not a bad trade. Jimmy G was pick 62, and started 1.5 games in 4 years...they get pick 33 back which they can either hang onto or deal to address another need. Hanging onto him until the end of the season was not an option since his contract was up and they weren't going to use a franchise tag on him which would have cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 22m and totally handcuff the team's options paying both him and Brady. From what I read it sounded like the team believed Brissett had reached a plateau with his development.
Also, Ajayi to PHI...definitely an interesting deal there.

Reaction Score
Enjoy ageless vampire Tom Brady as long as you can, because dark days are coming.

Reaction Score
Fine. Then deal Garappolo before the season and hang onto Brissett.

With Rodgers out in Green Bay, the Giants out and no real world beaters left are you saying Brissett for 7-8 games, then the postseason couldn't beat KC or Pitt at Gillette? You'd rather have Hoyer?

It honestly doesn't matter who the backup is in the event should Brady go down the rest of the season. There's no real difference between either guy in that case.

Reaction Score
haha - as a Denver fan, you should know all about how poor QB play can ruin a team's season!

I was thinking a meme with Pennywise the clown as a Broncos fan telling Patriots fans to come and float down in the drain when Brady retires would be appropriate. lol

Reaction Score
Pats need to sign Butler and try to find a way out of the Gilmore fiasco.

Looks like they may now have the ammunition to do the Butler deal.

Also, they need major DL help (pass rushers) and LBs.

This SF pick, is essentially a late 1st rounder (will get a very solid player) or a great bargaining chip for some other kind of deal.

In HCBB I trust.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This is the last year of Jimmy G's contract so wouldn't be able to make a deal after the season and Pats aren't winning a SB if Brady goes down anyways.

Course you could. You franchise and trade him. They did the same thing with Matt Cassel (for a second rounder).

intlzncster

Reaction Score
From what I read it sounded like the team believed Brissett had reached a plateau with his development.

Where'd you read that? I mean, the guy was only just over a year into his NFL career. I've a hard time believing they were writing him completely off after that. If Jules and Mitchell aren't injured, I highly doubt they make a trade for Dorsett.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Rumor has it Jimmy G balked at cheating and was sent packing.

Someone not from the Boston Globe or WEEI needs to investigate. Those media outlets are in Kraft and Belichicks pockets.

Reaction Score
Where'd you read that? I mean, the guy was only just over a year into his NFL career. I've a hard time believing they were writing him completely off after that. If Jules and Mitchell aren't injured, I highly doubt they make a trade for Dorsett.

I'm just telling you what I read, don't get mad about it. Article below, see #7 on the list. It's Mike Reiss, who is one of the more plugged in media guys in terms of the Patriots

Patriots were in a rare, low-leverage spot with Jimmy Garoppolo

intlzncster

Reaction Score

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I was thinking a meme with Pennywise the clown as a Broncos fan telling Patriots fans to come and float down in the drain when Brady retires would be appropriate. lol

If Belichick and Brady go at the same time, then yeah, the Pats are well and truly f@#$d. Or at least as much as every other team. If BB sticks around a few more years, they'll still be very competitive. Not 5 Superbowls competitive. But not also rans.

Reaction Score
If this trade came from Belichick, I'd chalk this up to the Patriots being the Patriots. Garoppolo played six quarters of good football on a championship team under the greatest coach of all-time. He could have been good, but I don't think the certainty was much more than it would have been with your run-of-the-mill second round pick.

If Kraft forced this, it's a big deal and could signify the continued opening of a rift from within that organization. Brady has been great as usual this season, but the end usually comes fast and I don't see how you can look at that as anything other than a year to year situation right now. He's declined some - not a lot, but some - and may have benefited last season from being fresher late in the year because of the suspension. He played probably three halves of objectively bad football in last years postseason. Things like age tend to matter more in the playoffs, particularly in cold climates.

This could have the double-edged effect of chasing not only a potential franchise quarterback out the door but also Belichick, who would theoretically be less inclined post Brady to continue without a replacement in the wings. If Brady is done at 41 (how many guys have played quarterback beyond that?), suddenly this thing could all be over a lot sooner than people thought.

Reaction Score
If this trade came from Belichick, I'd chalk this up to the Patriots being the Patriots. Garoppolo played six quarters of good football on a championship team under the greatest coach of all-time. He could have been good, but I don't think the certainty was much more than it would have been with your run-of-the-mill second round pick.

If Kraft forced this, it's a big deal and could signify the continued opening of a rift from within that organization. Brady has been great as usual this season, but the end usually comes fast and I don't see how you can look at that as anything other than a year to year situation right now. He's declined some - not a lot, but some - and may have benefited last season from being fresher late in the year because of the suspension. He played probably three halves of objectively bad football in last years postseason. Things like age tend to matter more in the playoffs, particularly in cold climates.

This could have the double-edged effect of chasing not only a potential franchise quarterback out the door but also Belichick, who would theoretically be less inclined post Brady to continue without a replacement in the wings. If Brady is done at 41 (how many guys have played quarterback beyond that?), suddenly this thing could all be over a lot sooner than people thought.

Has there been any indication anywhere that Kraft "forced" Belichick to do something? By all accounts they weren't going to be able to re-sign JG so why not get a second rounder you can potentially flip for something else?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I'd put that chance at .001%

Kraft learned pretty early on that any involvement on his part in the football side of the operation was a bad thing. Way back he forced Bill Parcells to draft Terry Glenn 7th overall against his will. Not only was Glenn a relative bust for the Pats, but this led to the rift that caused Parcells to leave (the famous "shop for the groceries" line). He swore to backoff after that, and that eventually came to fruition under BB, whose one requirement was that he have total control.

Any owner not named Jerry Jones, would give BB carte blanche, zero questions asked. You'd be utterly idiotic not to.

Reaction Score
Course you could. You franchise and trade him. They did the same thing with Matt Cassel (for a second rounder).

They actually need the franchise for Butler though. Probably more important to keep Butler via franchise than to use it to make this same exact trade in 3 months.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom