OT: Jimmy G Traded to San Francisco | The Boneyard

OT: Jimmy G Traded to San Francisco

Reaction Score

Big time move, not sure how NE fans will feel but as a Giants fan I love the trade

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Pats 100% deserve criticism here. They had much better offers on the table over the summer. Did they really expect Brady to just suddenly fall off a cliff? They must believe that Brady truly can play a few more years, like Brady says he plans to do.

Reaction Score
Pats 100% deserve criticism here. They had much better offers on the table over the summer. Did they really expect Brady to just suddenly fall off a cliff? They must believe that Brady truly can play a few more years, like Brady says he plans to do.
Came out that they didn't have better than a second rounder from the Browns. Might end up losing out on a few spots in the draft in exchange for 8 weeks of insurance, market-setting, and versatility. Definitely feels like the 49ers are getting the better deal here though.

Reaction Score
49ers are getting a steal.

BUT, what could the Patriots do?

They were going to lose him in 3 months for nothing.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think Brady is going to be more than fine for a few more years. His style of game ages really well. He had a 40 year old body at 29. They gotta improve the sack rate though ir he won't last. It was gonna be HARD to keep Jimmy.

That said, don't like the trade. Do it in the off-season, keep brissett and have a viable backup right now. I don't know that they had better offers over tge summer.

If Brady misses a game Orr two, those are Ls now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
49ers are getting a steal.

BUT, what could the Patriots do?

They were going to lose him in 3 months for nothing.

He would have been worth a third rounder compensatory. I would personally sacrifice those draft slots for the insurance.

Reaction Score
If Jimmy knows Brady isn't planning on going anywhere for a while he might have been pushing to get out and get an opportunity to start. 2nd round pick isn't bad, you can get some good players in the 2nd round that you can use, rather than having them hold a clipboard. This will only look really bad if Brady gets hurt. Not a Pats fan by the way, but I've always wondered about career backups who showed flashes when given the opportunity.

Reaction Score
He would have been worth a third rounder compensatory. I would personally sacrifice those draft slots for the insurance.

3rd round compensatory in 2019.

So the way NFL guys think of it, you get what is essentially a 4th rounder (comes well after 3rd round), but in 2019, which gives it the value of a 5th rounder, and that's only IF you don't sign a prime FA yourself.

A 2nd rounder from San Fran is the 33rd pick in the draft. In 2018. Big difference.

Reaction Score
I think Brady is going to be more than fine for a few more years. His style of game ages really well. He had a 40 year old body at 29. They gotta improve the sack rate though ir he won't last. It was gonna be HARD to keep Jimmy.

That said, don't like the trade. Do it in the off-season, keep brissett and have a viable backup right now. I don't know that they had better offers over tge summer.

If Brady misses a game Orr two, those are Ls now.

Jacoby is arguably not viable himself anyways. Even keeping him if Brady is lost for any length of time the season is pretty shot anyways.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
3rd round compensatory in 2019.

So the way NFL guys think of it, you get what is essentially a 4th rounder (comes well after 3rd round), but in 2019, which gives it the value of a 5th rounder, and that's only IF you don't sign a prime FA yourself.

A 2nd rounder from San Fran is the 33rd pick in the draft. In 2018. Big difference.

But if Brady goes down, you still have a chance. And if it's real bad, you've got the future. That's not just a little insurance, it's a whole hell of a lot.

QB is totally different than any other position with these things imo.

Reaction Score
But if Brady goes down, you still have a chance. And if it's real bad, you've got the future. That's not just a little insurance, it's a whole hell of a lot.

They wouldn't have been able to keep Jimmy anyways unless they got rid of Brady. They held onto Jimmy for about as long as they possibly could, and if the team loses Brady for any more than a game or 2 they're pretty much toast anyways. Probably toast in terms of truly being able to win a SB anyways without Edelman or Hightower.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Jacoby is arguably not viable himself anyways. Even keeping him if Brady is lost for any length of time the season is pretty shot anyways.

Eh, it depends if he's playing for the pats or the colts. I mean, it's not like the kid's had much time in their system, or the league for that matter. Big difference.

There's not a lot of good teams out there right now. So the pats have a chance. The fact that their O has been worse than the other units lately is probably a good thing. I don't expect it to stay that way.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Surprised they couldn't have gotten the Cardinals involved for a bidding war between two teams in the NFC West who both need a QB of the future.

Reaction Score

I don't think they look at Garoppolo as anywhere near Brady. Brady has the whole team on his shoulders this year. He is invaluable to them.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't think they look at Garoppolo as anywhere near Brady. Brady has the whole team on his shoulders this year. He is invaluable to them.

Of course man. If I had to choose, I'd take Brady for this and the next 3 years over garrapolo. Past that, I'm thinking long and hard about Jimmy g.

Reaction Score
Eh, it depends if he's playing for the pats or the colts. I mean, it's not like the kid's had much time in their system, or the league for that matter. Big difference.

There's not a lot of good teams out there right now. So the pats have a chance. The fact that their O has been worse than the other units lately is probably a good thing. I don't expect it to stay that way.

If anything Jacoby looks better with Indy than he did the 2 games he started with the Pats last year. I think worrying about who the backup is if Brady goes out is missing the point though.

Definitely can't argue that the defense has been much better the last couple of weeks, I'm just worried about the RoS implications of losing a guy like Hightower though. Also still extremely worried about the O-Line, not just for protecting Brady but also for being able to open holes for the running game and buy time for Brady to throw.

Reaction Score
This is how BB is thinking about this: San Fran will finish with the worst record, we'll have the 33rd pick. Several players rated mid first round on some boards will slide into the second round, and we'll have all day long to talk to teams and trade down. I bet I can get an extra 3rd and 4th rounder to slide down 10 spots. Or maybe a 2nd rounder for 2019!

BB in a nutshell.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Garoppolo has a mere 2 starts in his pro career. And then got hurt. He is not the second Coming.

I think the reaction may be overdone. A high second round pick is choice.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Pal’s nightmare.

No backup quarterback to call for.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Definitely can't argue that the defense has been much better the last couple of weeks, I'm just worried about the RoS implications of losing a guy like Hightower though. Also still extremely worried about the O-Line, not just for protecting Brady but also for being able to open holes for the running game and buy time for Brady to throw.

I'm w you on Hightower. There's no sugarcoating it. That said, some of our lesser name LBs have looked good...roberts and especially van noy. Getting McLellin back will be huge. It'll allow them to play Harris more when he's on the field.

I want to go back to a more scree pass heavy O, like a few years ago. For awhike that WAS the running game

Reaction Score
I think the deal is fine.

Sure, they could have gotten more out of Cleveland then, but they also didn't know that Brady would look this good past 40, didn't have this many injuries, also had Brissett, etc. I mean why pay him to not play for you and then even be faced with the possibility of your paying him to *never* play for you. And the bottom line in the NFL is that outside Jay Cutler, players mostly want to play. I don't see anything from G's perspective that'd be intriguing about riding the pine waiting for Brady to finally croak.

So they traded him for something that could possibly play for them. Or something that could be used to get someone else to possibly play for them. Or could help them keep someone they really like to play for them longer. Especially with the 49ers releasing their old backup and your being able to get him for league minimum and he already knows your system... it's pretty much as classic a Belichik move as they come.

Could be the first part of another big deal. Or one that helps them in another deal in the future. Who knows. For the 49ers - its a good deal for a good QB who should help them.

Reaction Score
I guess I don't see the need to shed Garoppollo AND Brissett after the start of the season without a better fallback option in a year you can contend for another ring.

They could have gotten the same back at the end of the season. You telling me a team like the Jets or Jags or Niners or Skins if Cousins isn't signed wouldn't make the same deal then?

Reaction Score
I guess I don't see the need to shed Garoppollo AND Brissett after the start of the season without a better fallback option in a year you can contend for another ring.

They could have gotten the same back at the end of the season. You telling me a team like the Jets or Jags or Niners or Skins if Cousins isn't signed wouldn't make the same deal then?

This is the last year of Jimmy G's contract so wouldn't be able to make a deal after the season and Pats aren't winning a SB if Brady goes down anyways.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Watch them sign Hoyer now...

I thought Brissett had more than Garoppolo anyway.

And that 2nd rounder will be in the top couple of picks in that round. Belichick looks at that as a 1st rounder without the higher paycheck.

Reaction Score
Watch them sign Hoyer now...

I thought Brissett had more than Garoppolo anyway.

And that 2nd rounder will be in the top couple of picks in that round. Belichick looks at that as a 1st rounder without the higher paycheck.
After seeing both play how can you think Brissett brings more to the table?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom