OT-Jets | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT-Jets

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I mean, who's the top 3 QB's from my list? I've thought about it for years and it has to be Vinny, Ken O'Brien and Boomer? Maybe Pennington in there? Ugh.

Vinny was underrated. Problem was they got him on the butt end of his career.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I mean, who's the top 3 QB's from my list? I've thought about it for years and it has to be Vinny, Ken O'Brien and Boomer? Maybe Pennington in there? Ugh.

sounds about right.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Same boat here. 40 years myself. And, for those who think Jets fans are overreacting to one game, here is a list of every Jets QB since I really began following them closely:

Sam Darnold 2018
Josh McCown 2017
Bryce Petty 2016
Ryan Fitzpatrick 2015
Michael Vick 2014
Geno Smith 2013
Matt Simms 2013
Tim Tebow 2012
Greg McElroy 2012
Mark Brunell 2010
Mark Sanchez 2009
Brett Favre 2008
Kellen Clemens 2006
Brad Smith 2006
Patrick Ramsey 2006
Jay Fiedler 2005
Kliff Kingsbury 2005
Brooks Bollinger 2004
Quincy Carter 2004
Chad Pennington 2000
Rick Mirer 1999
Vinny Testaverde 1998
Ray Lucas 1997
Neil O'Donnell 1996
Frank Reich 1996
Bubby Brister 1995
Glenn Foley 1994
Jack Trudeau 1994
Boomer Esiason 1993
Jeff Blake 1992
Browning Nagle 1991
Troy Taylor 1990
Tony Eason 1989
Kyle Mackey 1989
Mark Malone 1989
David Norrie 1987
Walter Briggs 1987
Ken O'Brien 1984
Pat Ryan 1978
Matt Robinson 1977
Marty Domres 1977
Richard Todd 1976
Wow you do deserve a break in that lineup

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Chad is #1 there IMO. He took some really crappy offenses to playoffs. The guy had a solid arm at Marshall (and Randy Moss) and might've been a truly great one if he didn't mangle his shoulder. Still, he managed to survive a decade in the NFL with a noodle arm mostly by using his head and got to playoffs in the years he wasn't sidelined.

I was pretty much done with the Jets when they signed Favre and threw Chad to the curb. I was actually happy when Chad, wearing Dolphin teal and orange, beat Favre and took that last playoff spot. Penny was a great leader of men and, IMO, would be an awesome coach.

Vinny was great in the Vinny way, and also didn't have great teams around him. Kenny had great weapons but was too risk averse and concerned about interceptions - he should've won more even with Marino in his division. Boomer... he's still a Bengal to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Chad is #1 there IMO. He took some really crappy offenses to playoffs. The guy had a solid arm at Marshall (and Randy Moss) and might've been a truly great one if he didn't mangle his shoulder. Still, he managed to survive a decade in the NFL with a noodle arm mostly by using his head and got to playoffs in the years he wasn't sidelined.

I was pretty much done with the Jets when they signed Favre and threw Chad to the curb. I was actually happy when Chad, wearing Dolphin teal and orange, beat Favre and took that last playoff spot. Penny was a great leader of me and, IMO, would be an awesome coach.

Vinny was great in the Vinny way, and also didn't have great teams around him. Kenny had great weapons but was too risk averse and concerned about interceptions - he should've won more even with Marino in his division. Boomer... he's still a Bengal to me.

Yea after Chad's first year as a starter he was the one getting the Joe Montana comparisons not Brady. Once the shoulder injuries started he just became so limited, still a guy who could manage games well and beat the bad teams, couldn't beat the best defenses. Not to in any way suggest he would have had a career like the greats, but the injuries were still a shame.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Chad is #1 there IMO. He took some really crappy offenses to playoffs. The guy had a solid arm at Marshall (and Randy Moss) and might've been a truly great one if he didn't mangle his shoulder.

Pennington was not on an elite track imo. He could have been a good to very good QB. We'll never know.

Yea after Chad's first year as a starter he was the one getting the Joe Montana comparisons not Brady. Once the shoulder injuries started he just became so limited, still a guy who could manage games well and beat the bad teams, couldn't beat the best defenses. Not to in any way suggest he would have had a career like the greats, but the injuries were still a shame.

All that does is show how dumb people are in a hot take world.

Reaction Score
Even though I'm a Pats fan, I'm kinda rooting for Darnold, so I can stick it to Giants fans. Don't hate the Giants, just like to needle their fans cause they needle us.

I'll say it again, and people think I'm crazy, but I do think Baker will be the best QB out of this draft. Just depends on if he gets Browns-ed or not. Darnold does look like he'll be at worst a good QB; not a bad floor to have.
Darnold is a solid pro QB. Jets will dominate the AFC East, post-Brady, if other teams don't find as good of a QB.

This dude looks better than Garoppolo.

Reaction Score
Darnold's big test will be in November and December games in the cold and wind of Giants Stadium. Kid grew up on the beach of Cali. His idea of cold weather is probably 50's.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Darnold's big test will be in November and December games in the cold and wind of Giants Stadium. Kid grew up on the beach of Cali. His idea of cold weather is probably 50's.

Brady grew up in San Mateo. And Favre grew up in the bayou.

Reaction Score
Brady grew up in San Mateo. And Favre grew up in the bayou.
Lol. In San Mateo they don't know cold or hot. It's just 50's and 60's all year round. I'm not saying Darnold can't handle the cold. I'm just saying it's unknown. Some can, some can't. I just think it's funny that a kid that had one good NFL game (not great) against a team that quit on its coach and people are calling him great. All the QB's listed in this thread have had games as good or better. I remember Cowboy fans ready to put Clint Longley in the HOF after one game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Darnold is a solid pro QB. Jets will dominate the AFC East, post-Brady, if other teams don't find as good of a QB.

This dude looks better than Garoppolo.

I mean, it's one game against a moribund Detroit team. There's plenty of solid pro QBs who don't dominate divisions. He might not even become Carson Palmer.

We'll see what happens. Will be interesting.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Lol. In San Mateo they don't know cold or hot. It's just 50's and 60's all year round. I'm not saying Darnold can't handle the cold. I'm just saying it's unknown. Some can, some can't. I just think it's funny that a kid that had one good NFL game (not great) against a team that quit on its coach and people are calling him great. All the QB's listed in this thread have had games as good or better. I remember Cowboy fans ready to put Clint Longley in the HOF after one game.

ftr, I haven't given much of a rat's ass about the NFL in a decade or more. Just noting the fallacy of QBs from warm weather states not being able to perform in cold weather conditions. Hell, Brady's 12-1 when it's below 40 and wet weather. Favre was 8-8.

Then again, maybe Favre would've been 14-2 with deflated balls.

Reaction Score
Some people have natural talent. In case you did not know. Kid is also psychologically very strong. For what it's worth, been a Pats fan since Super Bowl XX. I used to get mocked for that.

Josh Allen, I feel for that kid and Bills fans. Nice arm strength, though. He was drafted way too early.

Reaction Score
I mean, it's one game against a moribund Detroit team. There's plenty of solid pro QBs who don't dominate divisions. He might not even become Carson Palmer.

We'll see what happens. Will be interesting.
Again, talent. Vision, poise, accuracy, super quick release, whatever. I am very impressed by how he plays.

Reaction Score
Today's landscape is wonderful; can't let something like this play out over the course of a few weeks, let alone a few years.

I think Darnold will be the Jets starting QB for the next dozen years. We've finally found our guy; he passes the eye test and I have a weird sense of calm about him as a fan. I already don't worry about if he'll be good or a bust. This feels similar to the Knicks drafting Porzingis. KP passed the eye test in Summer League--an event everyone loves to remind fans that they should put no stock in the results of--even though it was "just" Summer League. Still, if you knew what you were looking at you saw enough to know that he wasn't going to be a bust. Who knows what his ceiling is but drafting him wasn't a mistake.

It's the same with Darnold. He's not Sanchez or Geno or any of the other busts before him. I have no idea if he'll be an Eli Manning-level player (forget the SBs for a moment), Rivers, or Romo but he'll be in that tier of QBs. He won't be Rodgers or Brady. He's a smart kid who processes information quickly and knows what he's looking at in a defense. He makes quick, safe decisions. Right decisions. His mobility in the pocket and ability to extend plays and throw on the run is my favorite part of his game. He's young, has a terrible OL, and marginal weapons. He's going to have some rough spots this year and enough people will bash him. That won't matter long term. He has a long future ahead of him with the Jets, just not sure of how good or great he'll be.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kid looks good. Lots of QBs have played one good game. Let's give it some time before we anoint him for the hall of fame. I think the Jets have a solid D, and so have a decent shot at 9 wins and a wild-card. Coach isn't incompetent either, which is a plus.

Mayfield: will start before the season is out
Rosen: may start very soon
Allen: starting now, but should have been a 3rd round pick. Least ready guy taken. The Bills are so stupid. They took him over Rosen who is the most pro-ready guy of the bunch. Dan O savaged Allen's ability to read defenses at Wyoming.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Kid looks good. Lots of QBs have played one good game. Let's give it some time before we anoint him for the hall of fame. I think the Jets have a solid D, and so have a decent shot at 9 wins and a wild-card. Coach isn't incompetent either, which is a plus.

Mayfield: will start before the season is out
Rosen: may start very soon
Allen: starting now, but should have been a 3rd round pick. Least ready guy taken. The Bills are so stupid. They took him over Rosen who is the most pro-ready guy of the bunch. Dan O savaged Allen's ability to read defenses at Wyoming.

the kid is only double digit days above 21 years old. He needs a LOT of time.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That's a lazy argument. Outside of the fact that each man is his own and not a computer programmed by Belichick, it's a really small sample.

Romeo Crennel: very underwhelming as a HC.
Mangini: middling at best, but did enough to get a second shot.

McDaniels: probably too young, too green, and too headstrong when he went to Denver. But his failings were more in personnel than coaching. He alienated and ran out the QB right out the chute, and then the stud receiver; He then drafted Tebow in the 1st.

But the guy got the Broncos to the playoffs, and even won a game, with Tim Freakin Tebow. Should get an award for that. He was fired after only a season and a half anyway; you need at least 3-4 years to make a more definitive judgment on a guy. In his next go around, if given a GM, with the subsequent years of seasoning under his belt, he'll be good.

Bill OBrien: Has been solid with no QBs to speak of. Took a 2 win Texans team to 3 consecutive 9-7 records with 2 playoff births. Last year lost Watson which derailed the season. Now that he actually has a QB (as opposed to Hoyer and Osweiller), I think he'll be good. Knows what he's doing for the most part.

If you are going to include Charlie Weis doing poorly in college, then you might as well include Nick Saban, who might end up being the the GOAT CFB coach.

I dunno how Matty P will do. Time will tell. But they look like junk tonight.
Is this a positive spin?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Is this a positive spin?

It's nothing really. If anything it's a statement on sample size. BBs coaching tree is really small comparative to somebody like Walsh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom