OT: Jahvon Quinerly transferring from Villanova | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Jahvon Quinerly transferring from Villanova

Reaction Score
I'm confused by the "hahaha." Does that mean you think it's irrational that someone is judging a college basketball player by what he did in college rather than how he projected to do in college while he was still in high school? Because that would be pretty damn idiotic.

I think it's funny, and still do, that somebody on this board would discount a 5 star 19 year old because he didn't fit Villanova's defensive system. I'm sure you don't care what my reasoning was you're just trying to be a expletive because you're a liar lawyer and you think you're better than everyone. Don't forget your coffee

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be mad about him or washington, but not sure I'd be optimistic either.

Reaction Score
Quinerly will probably want to go somewhere he can start in the 2020-2021 season. That's not happening here. If he didn't want to play behind Gillespie, I doubt he'll want to compete with Alterique, Gaffney, and maybe Brendan Adams for minutes.
Villanova needed a true PG who could break down the defense and Quinerly couldn't get on the court. Pass.

Reaction Score
In 2020-2021 Alterique might be tired of it all, having been year for like 5 years
Did you watch him play? He is a very tough kid in a very soft body. Not really the quitter type.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Did you watch him play? He is a very tough kid in a very soft body. Not really the quitter type.
That literally has nothing to do with the idea that he could graduate next year and might want to pursue money overseas rather than completing a half decade at one school.

Reaction Score
Can't play defense.
Shot 25% from 3.
Didn't just struggle, got 6 DnPs on a team depleted by graduation/early entry.
Clashed with possibly the best coach in basketball.
Had a lower FT rate than even Jalen did at any point in his career.
Back injury ended his season.
Negative assist/To rates ratio.
Already 20, will be 22 during sophomore year.

More red flags than the Olympics.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Quinerly didn’t fit in at Nova because he wasn’t supposed to go to Nova.

He bounced from Zona after the FBI scandal and never bought in to Jay Wright...he even did a IG post about it and claimed after that he was “hacked.”

Everyone’s memory that bad???

Reaction Score
You people are nuts. Have you even watched UConn play the last four years?? This isn’t 2009. The fact that we’re sitting here debating whether a former five star recruit is good enough to play for us is hilarious. In case you missed it we need all the help we can get. Clearly he didn’t fit at nova but he wasn’t so highly rated for nothing. The talent is there somewhere. If he’s willing to come I’d take him in a heartbeat (barring any behavioral issues).

Reaction Score
You people are nuts. Have you even watched UConn play the last four years?? This isn’t 2009. The fact that we’re sitting here debating whether a former five star recruit is good enough to play for us is hilarious. In case you missed it we need all the help we can get. Clearly he didn’t fit at nova but he wasn’t so highly rated for nothing. The talent is there somewhere. If he’s willing to come I’d take him in a heartbeat (barring any behavioral issues).
I get your point but I don't think it's nuts at all. Recruiting shouldn't be a problem anymore and I don't ever see recruiting guards being a problem. We have to get talented players who fit Hurley's vision, not just any talented kid who might have red flags. The past few years have been bad but we're not in a position where we have to take a lot of chances.

Reaction Score
I'm only aware of 3 "jelly fam" kids because of this board, but it appears that none of them have any basketball skills.
Naz Reid on LSU prob the best one

Reaction Score

I'll take Jay Wright's yearlong evaluation of him versus the recruiting rankings who didn't perhaps take into account how old he was compared to his peers.

Reaction Score

We need an upgrade in talent in Storrs. It’s no secret that we’ve lacked talent. Bringing in a guy who barely played on a PG-needy team behind Colin Gillespie is not going to cut it. You want Colin Gillespie’s backup on our team? No thanks

Reaction Score
I get your point but I don't think it's nuts at all. Recruiting shouldn't be a problem anymore and I don't ever see recruiting guards being a problem. We have to get talented players who fit Hurley's vision, not just any talented kid who might have red flags. The past few years have been bad but we're not in a position where we have to take a lot of chances.

This train of thought is mind numbing. The debate over how much weight to put on recruiting rankings in the first place is understandable and will never end. But those who go gaga over recruiting rankings AFTER SOMEONE HAS ACTUALLY PLAYED A YEAR IN COLLEGE AND YOU CAN TELL HOW GOOD HE IS I just don't understand.

Might he end up being a good player? Absolutely. You don't write talented kids off as freshmen. But based on his first year is he reasonable likely to be Kemba Walker? Or even Rodney Purvis (go back and look at his rookie year stats in the ACC). Absolutely not. I truly don't get this. Do folks judge NFL youngsters by their star ratings in high school? Or how they perform?

Reaction Score
Given our overall guard depth right now, I really don't see any need to be taking anyone that's got a lot of risk associated with them, red flags or lottery ticket types at that position. If they find themselves in that spot, they're just best off finding a stop gap grad transfer for a year and then recruiting another 4-year guy next year.

I have less than zero interest in this guy.

Reaction Score
This train of thought is mind numbing. The debate over how much weight to put on recruiting rankings in the first place is understandable and will never end. But those who go gaga over recruiting rankings AFTER SOMEONE HAS ACTUALLY PLAYED A YEAR IN COLLEGE AND YOU CAN TELL HOW GOOD HE IS I just don't understand.

Might he end up being a good player? Absolutely. You don't write talented kids off as freshmen. But based on his first year is he reasonable likely to be Kemba Walker? Or even Rodney Purvis (go back and look at his rookie year stats in the ACC). Absolutely not. I truly don't get this. Do folks judge NFL youngsters by their star ratings in high school? Or how they perform?

But the point is (and Superjohn and I fight over this quite a bit actually) - is that transfers are transfers for a reason. And most of the time -when they leave a program - it's because they're not good enough to be there. There were something like 650 DI transfers last year. Half of them ended up at another D1 school. What do you think happened to the other half?

And guys like MAL, this kid... they're leaving *because they aren't good enough to get playing time at their present program*. There's no way you can look at that track record and go 'oh, cool - yeah he should play more next year and should get BETTER". Not when you're Villanova, Providence or UConn. Maybe he gets better, maybe he doesn't - but other than some goof slapping star ratings on a guy on an online 'recruiting' bureau - there's not much from his track record that suggests he is.

Transfers can make a huge impact if you're getting the right guy. If the numbers look good, etc. This kind of wish casting on players like him is what can kill programs.

Especially when you're in our shoes - we have good guards. It's not a weakness. And if we need to get one for whatever reason - we could get something proven that is better and doesn't string us out for 3 years of eligibility so you can play the lottery.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Good enough? Sure. The right player, given that our eventual system will have some similarities to Nova? Not sure about that. I also don't think we can really afford too many non playing scholarship players. Certainly no more than one, and that's if an additional scholarship opens. Otherwise none.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Quinerly will probably want to go somewhere he can start in the 2020-2021 season. That's not happening here. If he didn't want to play behind Gillespie, I doubt he'll want to compete with Alterique, Gaffney, and maybe Brendan Adams for minutes.
I don’t think anyone on this current roster is guaranteed any sort of spot or role 2 years in advance. This program is in a rebuild and nothing is promised for anyone, lots of things can change.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone on this current roster is guaranteed any sort of spot or role 2 years in advance. This program is in a rebuild and nothing is promised for anyone, lots of things can change.
Yes agreed, and transfers are essentially looking for a promise.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom