OT: Jahvon Quinerly transferring from Villanova | The Boneyard

OT: Jahvon Quinerly transferring from Villanova

Reaction Score
talent wise I'd take him, idt Jay Wright was a good fit.

With that said one of my close friends goes to Nova and told me Jahvon doesn't make the best choices around campus. (I won't go into detail)

Reaction Score
The thing that makes me feel like Hurley could get through to him is he is a Jersey kid. Can't deny the talent -- 5-star, #26 on ESPN in Class of 2018. With that said, due to our scholarship limitations, there are bigger needs. Would rather have someone that can compete next year.

Reaction Score
He is weak and could never pick up the defense at Villanova. Pass.

Reaction Score
a year sitting out working on his shot, getting quicker and practicing head to head against Gilbert and I could see him living up to his hype. I think his talent and upside is worth the risk, the only box he has left to check for me is his attitude.
Something was wrong with the fit at Villanova, I don't think his stats reflect his level of talent or potential.

Reaction Score
Quinerly will probably want to go somewhere he can start in the 2020-2021 season. That's not happening here. If he didn't want to play behind Gillespie, I doubt he'll want to compete with Alterique, Gaffney, and maybe Brendan Adams for minutes.

Reaction Score
Depending on how many scholarships free up

Reaction Score
Maybe he’s not for us but I still like him. I was shocked he couldn’t take some of Gillespie’s minutes though.

Reaction Score
Quinerly will probably want to go somewhere he can start in the 2020-2021 season. That's not happening here. If he didn't want to play behind Gillespie, I doubt he'll want to compete with Alterique, Gaffney, and maybe Brendan Adams for minutes.

No guarantee Alterique is still here, he could share the court with Gaffney, and I don't assume he'd be too worried about Adams.

Reaction Score
No guarantee Alterique is still here, he could share the court with Gaffney, and I don't assume he'd be too worried about Adams.
Where is Gilbert going? I don't think many pro teams will be lining up with his injury history. I doubt Quinerly is going to take the chance when there are several things that could get in the way of his PT, especially considering that he just ran away from Collin Gillespie.

Reaction Score
If anyone judges his potential by his freshman season, that is unfortunate. I would welcome him to UConn in a second. Hurley is familiar with JQ with him being from Jersey. Will be interesting to see if we make a run at him.

Reaction Score
Where is Gilbert going? I don't think many pro teams will be lining up with his injury history. I doubt Quinerly, is going to take the chance when there are several things that could get in the way of his PT considering that he just ran away from Collin Gillespie.
To play devil's advocate, Gilbert should be on pace to graduate next year. Might not want to enroll in a graduate program.

Reaction Score
Hahaha give me a break. I'll take a chance on a 5 star point guard.

I'm confused by the "hahaha." Does that mean you think it's irrational that someone is judging a college basketball player by what he did in college rather than how he projected to do in college while he was still in high school? Because that would be pretty damn idiotic.

Reaction Score
To play devil's advocate, Gilbert should be on pace to graduate next year. Might not want to enroll in a graduate program.
Yeah IMO that's the biggest risk of AG leaving the program. But either way, my point is that from Quinerly's perspective you can't bank on a player leaving to clear the path for playing time. You go to a program with a couple of guards due to graduate and clear up a starting spot.

Reaction Score
Where is Gilbert going? I don't think many pro teams will be lining up with his injury history. I doubt Quinerly is going to take the chance when there are several things that could get in the way of his PT, especially considering that he just ran away from Collin Gillespie.

In 2020-2021 Alterique might be tired of it all, having been year for like 5 years

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
Nova will probably be wishing they had kept him in a few years.

Reaction Score
I don't think he ran away from Gillespie. Him and Jay Wright never seemed on the same page. The reason he didn't get PT was more likely a lack of fit in the system and coaching OR off-court issues rather than a lack of talent

Reaction Score
The positives are he clearly has talent and potential, and sitting for a year he gets more time in a strength program and learning a new team's system.

How many Freshman are ready to take over? Some need time to develop.

The fit wasn't at Nova. He had the AZ commit and decommit fiasco. He wasn't physically ready for Big East play. He was slow to pick up the D. On O he dribbled too much and did not seem to see the floor, but in fairness he might not have had enough PT to work through the jitters.

And then, there is the character question. Is he a good team-first mate? Too early to be sure.

Overall I think it would be well worth the look. Talent and potential. He would average up UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't think he ran away from Gillespie. Him and Jay Wright never seemed on the same page. The reason he didn't get PT was more likely a lack of fit in the system and coaching OR off-court issues rather than a lack of talent
He was terrible on the court, though. Wright is a great coach, I'd be hesitant to think that any other coach will do significantly better. Sometimes kids are just overrated. In high school he got to the rim at will, but wasn't a good shooter. In college he's not strong enough to drive, isn't an above the rim athlete, and still can't shoot. He's a project with a huge ego IMO. Don't see the point in using a scholarship on him this year, but we'll see if Hurley shows interest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom