OT: It's Saturday night, so boxing... | The Boneyard

OT: It's Saturday night, so boxing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Question - with Canelo Alvarez vs Lopez tonight on Showtime, why would anyone bother to buy the Chavez-Martinez fight?

Seems like odd scheduling.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's not my point - if I want to see it, I'll buy it. Aside from any ethical concerns, I have three flat-screen televisions in the house - I did not buy them so that I could squint at sporting events on my laptop.

My point was that there is a fairly compelling card available on Showtime - rare to see a "free" card compete with PPV.

Reaction Score
Probably because on paper Martinez vs JCC Jr is a much bettter main event. I'm currently watching the Showtime fighs because their overall card is better, but Lopez is a 140lber fighting at 154 for the first time and he wasn't great at 140 to begin with. Kudos for the victory over Ortiz, but there is a reason Lopez is like the 4th person in line for the fight after Williams broke his neck, Kirkland wanted more money, and Ortiz pissed his chance away.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Alvarez-Lopez is not a great match, but of the four guys fighting in main events tonight, Canelo's the most compelling by open daylight.

And the Showtime card is better - the first two fights were very good.

Reaction Score
Maidana vs Soto Karass was great. I think Chavez vs Martinez could be great.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I put the boxing knowledge of this board up against that of ANY BOARD in America.

It isn't worth a damn, but it impresses me all the same.

Reaction Score
Alvarez-Lopez is not a great match, but of the four guys fighting in main events tonight, Canelo's the most compelling by open daylight.

And the Showtime card is better - the first two fights were very good.

I don't agree with this at all, Sergio is considered a top 5 PPF fighter, Canelo has the GB hype machine behind him and he's very talented no doubt, but he hasn't faced anyone yet. I don't know a soul alive who would rather tune in to him facing a 140lber who is getting this bout because of some Final Destination involving everyone else who was penciled in as Canelo's opponent, over Sergio vs JCC Jr. There hasn't been a better matchup between top level/legitimate belt holders all year, and there probably won't be another before the year is over.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Martinez is 37 years old - inside of 18 months, he'll be as important to boxing as you are.

Compelling? No.

Reaction Score
It depends if you want to see the best fighter or the best match. Personally, as much as I love seeing Canelo fight, I just don't see that being nearly as exciting of a match as Chavez-Martinez, but to each their own.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'll put it like this...one fight is not $49.95 better than the other.

Reaction Score
It depends if you want to see the best fighter or the best match. Personally, as much as I love seeing Canelo fight, I just don't see that being nearly as exciting of a match as Chavez-Martinez, but to each their own.

Sergio is considered arguably #3 behind Floyd and Pac(I have Ward as my personal #2 tho behind Floyd), it's a stretch to say Canelo is even a better fighter. As for Fishy's post about his age, I've never watched a Sergio fight and said damn dude looks old. Its cliche to say but he's a young 37 in fighting ages, he started boxing late. Maybe he'll start to show his real age soon, but it's not like we've seen signs of it in his recent fights. There's still plenty of big fights ahead of him win or lose after tonight. I do agree about the overall issue about the price tho, the overall card of Showtime will probably go down equal as worth a watch to the HBO PPV.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You gotta read what I wrote - Alvarez isn't a better fighter than Martinez right now, but given his trajectory and Martinez's, he's a more compelling fighter.

I almost expect Martinez to go through Chavez tonight, but I do think he showed his age in his last fight. It was not a great performance.

Reaction Score
Martinez dominated for 11 rounds, but Chavez made it VERY interesting at the end. One more round and I think we might haver seen a Chavez knockout.

Reaction Score
Very exciting round 12 in the junior fight. Another 30 seconds and he probably would have won. I really miss the 15 round fights- so much more time for comebacks and wild finishes

Reaction Score
Very exciting round 12 in the junior fight. Another 30 seconds and he probably would have won. I really miss the 15 round fights- so much more time for comebacks and wild finishes

Yeah, Martinez's stamina lasted 11 rounds and in the 12th he really slowed down. When Chavez could set and exchange, it was obviously a very different fight.

Reaction Score
You gotta read what I wrote - Alvarez isn't a better fighter than Martinez right now, but given his trajectory and Martinez's, he's a more compelling fighter.

I almost expect Martinez to go through Chavez tonight, but I do think he showed his age in his last fight. It was not a great performance.

If you read what I wrote, you would see it was in response to the post I quoted that implied Canelo was a better boxer than Sergio.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Martinez's stamina lasted 11 rounds and in the 12th he really slowed down. When Chavez could set and exchange, it was obviously a very different fight.

I understand they do it for the fighters safety, but fighting isn't exactly safe to begin with haha. I like the 80's welterweight fight when the fighters could barely stand come the 14th/15th rounds. Those Durrand, Hagler, Leonard fights were wars of attrition. Now it seems like any defensive fighter can run and go the distance.

Reaction Score
this thread should be closed. aside from a couple posts the lack of boxing knowledge on this board is a bit embarrassing. i think most of you should stick to uconn bball.

Reaction Score
Wow Fishy your comments about Sergio Martinez are way off base, he is a great fighter and not even close to finished.

Reaction Score
To fish's original question, Delahoya n Golden Boy/Richard Schaefer were seriously trying to get people to not buy Arum and DiBellas pay per view card.

I think it wax a selfish and stupid thing to do. They coulda had these fights a week apart and the boxing fans woulda been the real winners. Unfortunately, I was driving back from the Pennsylvania and only saw the final round of Chavez/Martinez. From what I gather Chavez jr got exposed despite being basically a light heavy fighting against a middleweight.

Reaction Score
Wow Fishy your comments about Sergio Martinez are way off base, he is a great fighter and not even close to finished.

yeah fishy is about as far off as far can be. but his ignorance on sergio is pretty common even among real boxing fans. sergio martinez quite possibly is the best fighter in the world today and would dismantle pacman or floyd if they were ever to step in the ring with him yet people who dont know what theyre talking about just look at his age and say hes an old man. yet the guy has the best stamina in the sport,quickest feet and hands in his weight class and his boxing skills are a thing of beauty. he`s 37 years old so people want to criticize him yet floyd 35 going on 36 and no one calls him an old man. id really love to see a floyd/sergio fight so sergio could finally get his due but it wont happen because floyds a coward who likes to fight fighters once theyve passed their primes,are smaller or avoid them altogether. (tsyu,castillo,cotto,manny,shane,dlh,marquez,margarito)
chavez should not get a rematch and martinez should go on to fight golovkin next then look for a fight against floyd (wont happen) next year and then move up to fight andre ward which would be a mega fight and a fight sergio could quite possibly lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom