OT: Isaiah Thomas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Isaiah Thomas

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
On a different point, how good did Rozier look in his minutes.

Assuming C's get the #1 and take Fultz it will very interesting what their backcourt looks like going into 2018-19.

I don't think they give IT a max deal or anywhere close.
They absolutely should not give IT a max deal. I really think they should consider trading Isaiah this summer IF they get Ball or Fultz. (It's tough to say that after watching him drop 50)

He's not worth max money, and they could get a good return. Build around Horford, the high lottery picks and the core they already have, and then they can take their shots in FA.

Reaction Score
They absolutely should not give IT a max deal. I really think they should consider trading Isaiah this summer IF they get Ball or Fultz. (It's tough to say that after watching him drop 50)

He's not worth max money, and they could get a good return. Build around Horford, the high lottery picks and the core they already have, and then they can take their shots in FA.
The Celtics have one of the 5 best scorers in the league, and so many fans are willing to see them trade him for whatever.

It's baffling.

Reaction Score
He can't defend, league is all about being a 2-way player unless you're Dubs and and hide with 3 other guys or even Cavs

The Celtics have one of the 5 best scorers in the league, and so many fans are willing to see them trade him for whatever.

It's baffling.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score

It's baffling.
I think you are misunderstanding the situation.
No one WANTS him traded. But it's either we trade him and get a return, or let him walk after his contract runs out next year, because he's going to demand a max contract. He's already said that. And I would think most people agree that a player who can only play one side of the court, as good as he is, is not worth 30 million dollars a year.
All I'm saying the Celtics have serious decisions to make, ESPECIALLY if they get a potentially franchise point guard in Lonzo Ball or Markelle Fultz.
When you look at it that way, it's not baffling.
Isaiah Thomas is one of the best scorers in the league, and what he did last night was historic. But if he's your best player, you're not winning an NBA championship anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's a completely different level athlete than Bazz, obviously. Not just quickness but strength. Isaiah is built like a truck - he would have been a hell of a running back in a different world. It probably doesn't hurt that he's a south paw.

I'm trying not to overreact to last night. Up until that explosion he had been fairly ordinary in the playoffs (perhaps his sister's passing had something to do with that). It remains to be seen whether last night was an outlier.

I thought he actually held up pretty well defensively last night. But there is a big difference between 5'9 and 6'4 when you get later into the playoffs and positionless basketball starts to be come more prevalent. I'm not sure what Washington was doing last night was the way you go about defending him. I think you have a better chance of bottling him up by switching 1-4 with Oubre and Porter at the forward spots rather than Morris.

It shouldn't be lost that Boston's other guards are tremendous defensively. Smart, Rozier, and Bradley's compete on that end is next level. But I keep flashing back to what OKC looked like games 3 and 4 against Golden State next year and it's impossible to shake that image. It was like they were from 2075 with their size and length. I just hope what this Boston team is doing can still be appreciated even if they never win a title with this roster, because it's a pretty ballsy group.

Reaction Score
No one WANTS him traded. But it's either we trade him and get a return, or let him walk after his contract runs out next year, because he's going to demand a max contract. He's already said that. And I would think most people agree that a player who can only play one side of the court, as good as he is, is not worth 30 million dollars a year.
All I'm saying the Celtics have serious decisions to make, ESPECIALLY if they get a potentially franchise point guard in Lonzo Ball or Markelle Fultz.
Isaiah Thomas is one of the best scorers in the league, and what he did last night was historic. But if he's your best player, you're not winning an NBA championship anytime soon.

Not sure why you keep name dropping Ball alongside Fultz as if the 2 are even remotely comparable. Celts would be better off getting Jackson or Tatum if they can't get Fultz.

Also, there's not a single person that believes Isaiah can be the best player on a title team, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be the #2 guy on a title team provided he can sustain a reasonable facsimile of his 2016-17 production for a few more seasons.

Agreed. IT is probably the tenth best point guard in the league.

Name 9 that are better. Hint: Neither Lillard nor Conley have ever had the type of volume + efficiency season that Isaiah has had this year. Neither of those 2 will ever have a peak season as good as Isaiah has been this season.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Not sure why you keep name dropping Ball alongside Fultz as if the 2 are even remotely comparable. Celts would be better off getting Jackson or Tatum if they can't get Fultz.

Also, there's not a single person that believes Isaiah can be the best player on a title team, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be the #2 guy on a title team provided he can sustain a reasonable facsimile of his 2016-17 production for a few more seasons.

Name 9 that are better. Hint: Neither Lillard nor Conley have ever had the type of volume + efficiency season that Isaiah has had this year. Neither of those 2 will ever have a peak season as good as Isaiah has been this season.
Ball looks legit from what I've seen, and from what I've read many people agree that he has the potential to be a great player in the league. I'd take my chances on him over Jackson and Tatum (although I really like Jackson too). The only holdback to Ball for me would be Lavar-- I don't think anyone in the league really wants to deal with that guy, not that he would really have any impact on much of anything, but he's still baggage...

Yes Isaiah could be one of the top 3 players on a title team. Again, he is only under contract through next season. After that he is going to want one of those colossal 5 year $150 million deal which would be a huge mistake on the Celtics part for a 30-year old point guard who can't play defense. Ideally we have him in Boston until the end of his career, but the money likely won't work out that way.

I named who I would take over Isaiah earlier in the thread. There are six that I would rather build my team around than Isaiah-- Russ, CP3, Steph, Wall, Kyrie, Lowry.
You have to take into account their entire game including both sides of the ball. So Isaiah is somewhere between 7-10.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Haters going to hate.
He doesn't play good defense but then again I know a number of players in the NBA who don't either and all of them can't score like he does.

Reaction Score
Ball looks legit from what I've seen, and from what I've read many people agree that he has the potential to be a great player in the league. I'd take my chances on him over Jackson and Tatum (although I really like Jackson too). The only holdback to Ball for me would be Lavar-- I don't think anyone in the league really wants to deal with that guy, not that he would really have any impact on much of anything, but he's still baggage...

Yes Isaiah could be one of the top 3 players on a title team. Again, he is only under contract through next season. After that he is going to want one of those colossal 5 year $150 million deal which would be a huge mistake on the Celtics part for a 30-year old point guard who can't play defense. Ideally we have him in Boston until the end of his career, but the money likely won't work out that way.

I named who I would take over Isaiah earlier in the thread. There are six that I would rather build my team around than Isaiah-- Russ, CP3, Steph, Wall, Kyrie, Lowry.
You have to take into account their entire game including both sides of the ball. So Isaiah is somewhere between 7-10.

I'm more concerned about Ball's defense and that awful shooting form (yes I know his %'s were great at UCLA) than the Lavar thing. Still, if the Celts didn't want to pay pennies on the dollar for Boogie due to character issues, I can't imagine they'll be chomping at the bit to be involved in the whole Lavar Ball experience. Also I personally like Tatum a bit more than Jackson, but would rather have either over Ball given the current roster makeup, Lonzo's defense/shooting form question marks, and Lavar.

Isaiah can be the 2nd or 3rd best player on a title team, you pretty much have to max a guy like that in the current climate. Are there other guys you'd rather give a max contract to? Sure, but you can't simply let a guy like that walk, or trade him for pennies on the dollar if you're trying to contend.

As far as the PGs you listed, I'd definitely agree on Russ, Steph, Wall, and Kyrie (even though Steph/Kyrie are defensive liabilities as well, and Kyrie is hardly even a true PG at this point). I would definitely take Isaiah over Lowry given the fact that Lowry is 3 years older and doesn't have a great injury history/history of efficiency. I'd have easily taken CP3 over IT4 about 2 years ago, but CP3 is pretty clearly past his prime at this point, and that complete dud of a game 7 and general inability to take his game to another level in the playoffs leaves me cold on him at this point. I think you can make a real argument for IT4 being the 5th best PG in the league currently.

Reaction Score
Ya'll don't need to rank him vs other PGs or guards, officiate him or be the GM of the Celtics. Watch Isaiah play basketball, he will make incredible shots, get better in the 4thQ and takeover games offensively. He does so with joy and swagger. It is fun to watch.

Reaction Score
I agree, if they can't get Fultz have to think about Jackson, Issac or even Markken.

But they would have a lot of players in the 3-4-5 with Crowder, Brown (who can play a lot of 2 also), French Draymond, Nader (who had a great D-league season), Al, Zizic, Kelly O, Zeller is still under contract next year.

And will they make a run @ either Blake (if he opts out) or Hayward?

Reaction Score
The original post said he was a top 10 player in the league and top 5 guard (1 & 2)

He's not even a top 5 PG let alone all guards

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'm more concerned about Ball's defense and that awful shooting form (yes I know his %'s were great at UCLA) than the Lavar thing. Still, if the Celts didn't want to pay pennies on the dollar for Boogie due to character issues, I can't imagine they'll be chomping at the bit to be involved in the whole Lavar Ball experience. Also I personally like Tatum a bit more than Jackson, but would rather have either over Ball given the current roster makeup, Lonzo's defense/shooting form question marks, and Lavar.

Isaiah can be the 2nd or 3rd best player on a title team, you pretty much have to max a guy like that in the current climate. Are there other guys you'd rather give a max contract to? Sure, but you can't simply let a guy like that walk, or trade him for pennies on the dollar if you're trying to contend.

As far as the PGs you listed, I'd definitely agree on Russ, Steph, Wall, and Kyrie (even though Steph/Kyrie are defensive liabilities as well, and Kyrie is hardly even a true PG at this point). I would definitely take Isaiah over Lowry given the fact that Lowry is 3 years older and doesn't have a great injury history/history of efficiency. I'd have easily taken CP3 over IT4 about 2 years ago, but CP3 is pretty clearly past his prime at this point, and that complete dud of a game 7 and general inability to take his game to another level in the playoffs leaves me cold on him at this point. I think you can make a real argument for IT4 being the 5th best PG in the league currently.
The concern on Ball is fair, but I think his other skillsets far outweigh that. And it's not like he doesn't have a jump shot, no matter how unorthodox it is. The defense still has to respect it. I'm not saying he's Jason Kidd, but Kidd had a similar skill set coming into the league, and Ball is the size of a 2/3. And Kidd is one of the many players who developed a 3 pt shot over the course of his NBA career. Ball is young and raw, but he has an incredible feel for the game and passing/scoring ability. It's too bad there's a circus surrounding him.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I agree, if they can't get Fultz have to think about Jackson, Issac or even Markken.

But they would have a lot of players in the 3-4-5 with Crowder, Brown (who can play a lot of 2 also), French Draymond, Nader (who had a great D-league season), Al, Zizic, Kelly O, Zeller is still under contract next year.

And will they make a run @ either Blake (if he opts out) or Hayward?
I'm not sure Blake is worth it. He's kind of a one dimensional, pure power forward who gets injured every year. Celtics are all about positional versatility.

But I would definitely make a run at Hayward.

I remember someone a couple months ago on Felger and Mazz who claimed to have inside sources said that the Celtics will be all in on Hayward, and there's mutual interest. But I don't know, take it with a grain of salt because NBA rumors tend to be more off-the-wall than any other sport.

But it makes too much sense for it to happen-- The celtics need for scoring at the wing, the Butler connection with Stevens, the Celtics cap space, etc.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Blake is worth it. He's kind of a one dimensional, pure power forward who gets injured every year. Celtics are all about positional versatility.

I remember someone a couple months ago on Felger and Mazz who claimed to have inside sources said that the Celtics will be all in on Hayward, and there's mutual interest. But I don't know, take it with a grain of salt because NBA rumors tend to be more off-the-wall than any other sport.

But it makes too much sense for it to happen-- The celtics need for scoring at the wing, the Butler connection with Stevens, the Celtics cap space, etc.

Blake would be a better fit for them. That 4 spot has been a gaping hole for the last few years, and Blake is both a great scorer and passer when healthy. Celts already have Crowder/Brown at the 3 as well as the possibility of adding Tatum/Jackson. There's definitely more risk there, but a healthy Blake is the better player and would be filling a need.

The concern on Ball is fair, but I think his other skillsets far outweigh that. And it's not like he doesn't have a jump shot, no matter how unorthodox it is. The defense still has to respect it. I'm not saying he's Jason Kidd, but Kidd had a similar skill set coming into the league, and Ball is the size of a 2/3. And Kidd is one of the many players who developed a 3 pt shot over the course of his NBA career. Ball is young and raw, but he has an incredible feel for the game and passing/scoring ability. It's too bad there's a circus surrounding him.

I'm remaining skeptical of his shooting form until he proves that he can make it work in the NBA. His defense is just awful at this point, no 2 ways about it. He's an amazing passer/facilitator, but there's really not a great history of those Stockton/Kidd/Nash/CP3 types of PGs being featured prominently on title winning teams.

Reaction Score
A lineup of

Fultz
Bradley
Hayward
AL
Zizic

With other depth Brown, Rozier, Nader, French Draymond and other pieces

Can challenge for 'Ships in 2-3+ years

They will have to part with pieces maybe like Smart, Kelly O, Jae

And the one thing that could be just crazy, assuming the Nets suck again next year we could be starring @ Porter, Ayton, Bamba, etc.

Reaction Score
Ainge and Wyc are in a very tough spot

He's a wildly popular player, but if you get a chance to get an elite potential PG like Fultz and build around him that is just smart business

Reaction Score
That's right, big IF but even IF he leads the team into the conference finals & a competitive series there with a few more performances like Tuesday's Isaiah will have earned a max and a permanent place in Boston. He's the leader of the team and that means something that is tangible in terms of $ & contract length, especially if/when that leadership is happening in playoff performances & wins. That's what they pay them for!

That is also what so silly about the GM hot takes in this thread. Trade Isaiah b/c of a unknown draft pick (will be known far before any decision on Isaiah due) and speculation about who that pick is and nothing but guesswork about how good whomever they draft will be. Games = what happens tonight & this weekend in Washington is far more compelling.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I thought and said Isaiah simply could not continue to do what he did in the regular season once the playoffs came along. Given last night and what he's done thru some uniquely trying circumstances I could not have been more wrong. Maybe someone finds a way to stop him, but Isaiah's 16-2017 season thru the PLAYOFFS is every bit as amazing and as 'must see' as Curry's 2015-16 regular season was. Down 6 with 2:30 last night that game is OVER if Isaiah doesn't make a 3. Defenses have adjusted and Isaiah's getting rejected at the rim a lot more often in the playoffs, yet somehow, particularly in the 4th Q he's still finding a way to get it done. If you aren't watching this series you are missing some great offensive basketball.

It's not so much defenses adjusting imo. It's more that defenses in the playoffs are far better, both in talent and in effort, than in the regular season.

What Isaiah does in the 4th quarters of games is ridiculous.

4th quarter and Overtime:
  • Thomas - 29pts
  • Wall - 5pts
I know this is a few months old, but it's amazing:

Isaiah Thomas is the NBA’s best 4th-quarter scorer since …

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I like the Celts and watching IT is a pleasure. This video about Hoiberg's complaints is pretty descriptive for what the NBA refs will allow you to get away with. I feel like it should serve as a handbook for guards who want to learn how to push the envelope on the rules. If you can get away with it at the college level I would love to see Jalen steal some of these hesitation moves.

Bazz and Boat did a lot of the same things at UCONN.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

I don't think it's as simple as everyone is making it out ... If he's your best scorer and you add another guy with the pieces they have, that's a championship team.

If a guy who scores at top 5 levels is that easy to replace and duplicate, then I guess I've been watching the wrong sport.

He isn't getting empty stats, he's a stud.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom