OT: In-ground pool cost | The Boneyard

OT: In-ground pool cost

Reaction Score
Hi, there used to be an above-ground circular pool at our house, pool is gone but decking still remains. Was wondering how much a new pool might cost. Here is what I'm thinking as far as desired pool: an in-ground pool, not sure how big but maybe 20 x 40, with salt-water filter (not chlorine) system. I assume the decking has to go, or can an in-ground pool be built semi above-ground (so it would meet deck)? Our old pool 24 ft wide, I think, and deck is 3 ft off ground (maybe 4, not sure). We can extend current pool pad to make it longer.
If anyone has installed a pool recently, how much might this cost? Thanks Boneyard!

Reaction Score
I'm guessing somewhere in the $25-50k+. Excavation, permits, concrete, liner, pump, etc. Access to area also effects pricing.

8 hr of an excavator/operator is about $1200/ day to give you an idea of that cost and you have no clue if you'll need blasting.

I know new tennis courts cost $30-60k built from scratch so its gotta be in same ballpark

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
$35-50K, depending on materials and features.

The deck has to go. By definition, in-ground pools do not extend 4 feet above ground. Maybe you can salvage some of the material for decking leading to/around the new build.

By the way, there is no such thing as a salt water filter, nor is a SWG non-chlorine. If you say that to an unscrupulous installer, he'll take you for the north side or more trying to get there.

I would not have bought my house without the pool, which was put in three seasons ago and the seller left behind all the paperwork. I've had a pool for as long as I've owned houses. My old one was 17' x 36' Grecian shaped pool (10 years). My current pool is 18' x 38' rectangle. Second season starts in early May (I have a heater).

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Remember to check to see if you need building permits. Varies from town to town, state to state.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Remember to check to see if you need building permits. Varies from town to town, state to state.
Least of his worries. He should just assume he does. It'd be quite the hoot for the excavator to chop down on the first dig and have sewage fountain out as if Andy Dufresne hit a Shawshank pipe with a rock.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Take a hard look at how often you plan to use it. Pools come with huge maintenance. Leaves, spores, critters, dead critters, algae, pH, chlorination, filter/pump maintenance, opening, closing, vacuuming, skimmer cleaning.

If you don't have kids, it's tough to justify for a short pool season in CT.

Mine is about the size you are looking at, a 20k+ gallon freeform liner inground. Not including weekly maintenance labor, it runs about, $1500 a season in chemicals and annual services.

That doesn't include the 6k to replace the liner a number of years ago and 15k to replace the patio deck.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I’m in southern New Hampshire, out in the country, no sewer issues. Being further north, the pool season would be even shorter than CT. Unless we would do a heated pool, but that increases yearly cost.
Maybe we should do a hot tub instead, that would be cheaper. But having a pool just seems so nice, and summers are getting warmer.

Reaction Score
Here is a good budget for pool:

permits $1,500
excavation, removal of materials: $3,500 if bedrock is present, double
Sub-plumbing, rebar network, electrical $ 10,000
Gunnite, coping, plaster, tile $10,000
Pool decking- depends on finished surface but figure $10 a sq. ft
Filter, pump set up, external plumbing- $5000

This would be for a standard rectangle, nothing fancy

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1548863044071.png

$17.98 at Lowes. Let me know when you've got it dug and I'll let you know the next step.

Reaction Score
@Jaker your excavation is way too low. As I mentioned above $1200/ day is low end could be $1800/ day. That doesn't include removal of materials, trucking costs.

Reaction Score
@Jaker your excavation is way too low. As I mentioned above $1200/ day is low end could be $1800/ day. That doesn't include removal of materials, trucking costs.

I assume material is left on site if possible for landscaping features. I can dig a 20-40 hole in a day if there is no bedrock. Again, if the pool has curves and shapes, double the costs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hi, there used to be an above-ground circular pool at our house, pool is gone but decking still remains. Was wondering how much a new pool might cost. Here is what I'm thinking as far as desired pool: an in-ground pool, not sure how big but maybe 20 x 40, with salt-water filter (not chlorine) system. I assume the decking has to go, or can an in-ground pool be built semi above-ground (so it would meet deck)? Our old pool 24 ft wide, I think, and deck is 3 ft off ground (maybe 4, not sure). We can extend current pool pad to make it longer.
If anyone has installed a pool recently, how much might this cost? Thanks Boneyard!

do you have septic? that might be why it was above ground in the first place. forced me above ground and that still cost like 30k for heated and a deck.

Reaction Score
I assume material is left on site if possible for landscaping features. I can dig a 20-40 hole in a day if there is no bedrock. Again, if the pool has curves and shapes, double the costs.

You should know you're hitting bedrock in thispart of country

Reaction Score
If you do a heated pool add in an electronic pool cover. It goes underneath the coping. Will save you a lot on the heating costs. The good thing about it is that you will close pool because it only takes about 30 seconds.
Great too if you have young children

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When I looked into it ten years ago it was probably going to cost me over $75k. We did the kitchen instead and joined a pool club.

I'd suggest you consider what else may be involved. Do you need a new or different fence? Will you create a different patio and landscaping around the pool? Maybe a small shed/poolhouse? How about ledge (my backyard is loaded with it). If you hit ledge the costs start to skyrocket. Then there are the various types and sizes of pools.

Reaction Score
If you do a heated pool add in an electronic pool cover. It goes underneath the coping. Will save you a lot on the heating costs. The good thing about it is that you will close pool because it only takes about 30 seconds.
Great too if you have young children

Good point, also factor safety fencing around perimeter.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I agree with @SubbaBub Subbthat the CT pool season is short that spending on a pool is nuts. Unless you are staying for 20+ years. But, if I can maintain a pool anyone can. Flipping dead wildlife into the woods is a pain but no biggy. And once the initial backwashing and shocking is done I just maintain chlorination.

But swimming only happens in July to early September. Ugh.

If you do it heat that pool.

Husky25

Reaction Score
FWIW, I’m in southern New Hampshire, out in the country, no sewer issues. Being further north, the pool season would be even shorter than CT. Unless we would do a heated pool, but that increases yearly cost.
Maybe we should do a hot tub instead, that would be cheaper. But having a pool just seems so nice, and summers are getting warmer.
Where does Southern NH start for you? South of Laconia? Nashua? Manchester?

Too bad you feel that way. I was trying to give you honest answers.

The Southern New England (MA, RI, CT) pool season goes from about mid May to Mid/late September. Mine is in use virtually every day starting in early June. I've closed in Mid October before, but we had to work around my honeymoon that year. Typically I like to be up and running by Memorial Day. If the water temp was in the mid 60's or higher, I'd take a dip. No question.

You won't have to worry about a new liner for 15 years. Even at that point my liner in 2014 cost around $3,300, installed. "Elephant" safety covers cost about $2,000, but they are becoming industry standard for new builds and will most likely be included in your purchase price.

Learn to open/close on your own. It's easy and will save $500 a season. Test and maintain your own water. If you are looking to install a SWG, that means testing the Chlorine level once a week and maybe adjust the dial. If I am not vacuuming, setting up the robot (came with the house), or swimming, I spend probably less than 3 minutes/day maintaining my pool and I am a jug lugger (i.e. I manually add liquid chlorine.). However, I haven't had an algae outbreak since I converted back to chlorine from biguanide in 2015.

Reaction Score
I’ve had pools for 40 years. Cost will vary on size, decking and other things like heater, sanitizer, fencing and accessories ( slide, diving board, lighting). Strongly recommend salt water for chlorine generation and a robotic cleaner. This combination will make pool almost maintenance free and greatly reduce chemical cost. My neighbor heats w propane and installed a 500 gal underground gas tank as buying bulk is much cheaper. I have an electric heater which is costly to operate (also have solar).Good luck. BTW recommend Sabrina Pools in Coventry CT.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I agree with @SubbaBub Subbthat the CT pool season is short that spending on a pool is nuts. Unless you are staying for 20+ years. But, if I can maintain a pool anyone can. Flipping dead wildlife into the woods is a pain but no biggy. And once the initial backwashing and shocking is done I just maintain chlorination.

But swimming only happens in July to early September. Ugh.

If you do it heat that pool.
What do you get? I've been playing Lacrosse with mice for 35 years. Other than the occasional snake, what other wildlife do you find?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom