OT: In-ground pool cost | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: In-ground pool cost

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
What do you get? I've been playing Lacrosse with mice for 35 years. Other than the occasional snake, what other wildlife do you find?
4 frog species
Moles and voles
Chipmunks and squirrels
3 snake species
Beetles
3 salamander species
1 live barred owl that I saved

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
4 frog species
Moles and voles
Chipmunks and squirrels
3 snake species
Beetles
3 salamander species

I haven’t had a snake but the tree frogs take over for a month. It’s nothing but dead frogs and skimming eggs.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
4 frog species
Moles and voles
Chipmunks and squirrels
3 snake species
Beetles
3 salamander species

Forgot about frogs. Probably because they are more common than mice. Snakes obviously and I recall a chipmunk or two. My dad had a small salamander once when opening. I haven't and I've never had a mole (in the pool) or squirrel.

The owl is interesting, but beetles don't count. They are just bugs to be skimmed, either with the pole or poolside unit.

I guess my point is that, other than the owl and squirrel, I don't consider that wildlife. I was picturing beavers and honey badgers or something.

Reaction Score
I am in Westchester County, so these are NY costs, but I found the pool cost the cheaper part of the project. When you add up the pool fence, decking, landscaping for privacy, propane tank install, etc, that was collectively more than the cost of the pool. Dont go just by the pool cost, digging a hole and installing something to hold and filter water is the cheap part. That being said, it has been a great add to the house, a lot of fun hosting family, friends and kids. Worth it, in my opinion. I grew up in Vernon swimming in rivers and ponds though......!

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
From 1981-89, I had a pool. It was popular with guests.
From 1990-2013, my sister had a pool. It was popular with me.
There may or may not be a pool in my grandkids' near future. If it happens, I'll enjoy it and help out, but if I were directly asked, "Should we do this?," I'd probably repeat the first two sentences.

My sister's house also had an awesome whirlpool bath tub that I believe I used more than anyone else, primarily while doing dog care. And for years, she and her husband had a sailboat. For some things, easy access beats ownership.

It truly helps that I love and like my family. YMMV.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
View attachment 38923
$17.98 at Lowes. Let me know when you've got it dug and I'll let you know the next step.

This is no joke. Many years ago our firm had a client in the construction business. He had served in the Wehrmacht during WWII. They moved to the US shortly after the war. In the early 1950's they bought a good sized tract of land, maybe 20 acres, and built a large brick house on it. After the house was completed, his wife said she wanted a pool. He told her if she would dig the hole, he would build the pool. My partner described her as "an old German washer woman." She had arms like tree trunks. She not only dug the hole for a pool, she dug a hole next to it for a spa large enough for about 25 people. I've seen it. He built her a beautiful huge pool and spa. She called her husband's bluff, I would say.

Husky25

Reaction Score
This is no joke. Many years ago our firm had a client in the construction business. He had served in the Wehrmacht during WWII. They moved to the US shortly after the war. In the early 1950's they bought a good sized tract of land, maybe 20 acres, and built a large brick house on it. After the house was completed, his wife said she wanted a pool. He told her if she would dig the hole, he would build the pool. My partner described her as "an old German washer woman." She had arms like tree trunks. She not only dug the hole for a pool, she dug a hole next to it for a spa large enough for about 25 people. I've seen it. He built her a beautiful huge pool and spa. She called her husband's bluff, I would say.
Don't you just have to build the thing after that?

temery

What?
Reaction Score

I've watched Sopranos enough to know when someone tries to get you to dig a hole ... RUN.

Reaction Score
IMG_20190130_0001.jpg
I gotta pool story. I had this pool installed in 1989 a few years after I bought my house. Fully heated with a hot tub. I built the patios and wood decks all by hand. It was beautiful.

About a year later my (ex)wife and I both lost our jobs, and found out she was pregnant. Good times!

Anywho, once the kids came and became of age they loved the pool. I figured that based on the annual cost of maintenance it cost me $50 every time I went in the water. Whatever.

After divorce, I sold the house in 2003 to friends, a nice couple. Turns out the guy was cheating and ran off to Georgia with his young girlfriend. They walked away from the house.

It's been empty ever since, the town has a blight lien on the property. The pool is still there for anyone that wants to dig it up and take it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
View attachment 38927 I gotta pool story. I had this pool installed in 1989 a few years after I bought my house. Fully heated with a hot tub. I built the patios and wood decks all by hand. It was beautiful.

About a year later my (ex)wife and I both lost our jobs, and found out she was pregnant. Good times!

Anywho, once the kids came and became of age they loved the pool. I figured that based on the annual cost of maintenance it cost me $50 every time I went in the water. Whatever.

After divorce, I sold the house in 2003 to friends, a nice couple. Turns out the guy was cheating and ran off to Georgia with his young girlfriend. They walked away from the house.

It's been empty ever since, the town has a blight lien on the property. The pool is still there for anyone that wants to dig it up and take it.

The lesson as always? Pools promote unemployment, pregnancy, infidelity, and 3rd party asset abandonment.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
View attachment 38927 I gotta pool story. I had this pool installed in 1989 a few years after I bought my house. Fully heated with a hot tub. I built the patios and wood decks all by hand. It was beautiful.

Obviously, it's built over an ancient burial ground of, black cats, broken mirrors and discarded Hawaiian tiki idols.

Reaction Score
We considered a pool in NJ, but I think we decided against it based on cost/hassle to benefit ratio. For us it looked like a moderate gunnite (sp?) pool was going to be like $35k, but that wouldn't include the other crap that we'd have to deal with.

I think a pool is great, so don't put me in the "don't do it" category. Who cares if the season is short to some people. My in-laws use their pool every weekend and my father-in-law has turned his backyard into an oasis that wouldn't be the same without the ability to hop in the pool on a scorching day. It just wasn't the right call for us.

That being said, because you mentioned having an above ground pool decking, we thought modpools looked pretty awesome. They can be sunk, but they seem cooler if they are all or partially above ground. They are former shipping containers. Modular Shipping Container Swimming Pool and Hot Tub. Although I'm not sure you always want to know what's going on under the water!

1548872138653.png

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score

That was one heck of an uplifting, inspiring pool story.

Reaction Score
If you have to ask, you cant afford it.
He could go for a pre made fiberglass pool. I've seen several on 84, trucked as wide loads with cops in front and in back, last few weeks.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Forgot about frogs. Probably because they are more common than mice. Snakes obviously and I recall a chipmunk or two. My dad had a small salamander once when opening. I haven't and I've never had a mole (in the pool) or squirrel.

The owl is interesting, but beetles don't count. They are just bugs to be skimmed, either with the pole or poolside unit.

I guess my point is that, other than the owl and squirrel, I don't consider that wildlife. I was picturing beavers and honey badgers or something.
I get beetles so big they would scare some entomologists.

Reaction Score
Pools are like boats, don't buy one, make friends good friends with the boat owner.

Anyways, pools in the NE don't really add much value to a home like they do in the Southwest where they are a must.

Reaction Score
Take a hard look at how often you plan to use it. Pools come with huge maintenance. Leaves, spores, critters, dead critters, algae, pH, chlorination, filter/pump maintenance, opening, closing, vacuuming, skimmer cleaning.

If you don't have kids, it's tough to justify for a short pool season in CT.

Mine is about the size you are looking at, a 20k+ gallon freeform liner inground. Not including weekly maintenance labor, it runs about, $1500 a season in chemicals and annual services.

That doesn't include the 6k to replace the liner a number of years ago and 15k to replace the patio deck.
This. Need it heated here too. Couple $k for heater, and almost that amount for fuel (we use propane)... every year. Ours is opened for Memorial Day, and closed a week or so after Labor Day. Even with a heated pool leaves you needing to get out of it.

Reaction Score
If you have to ask, you cant afford it.
Ours came with the house. It didn’t really increase the appraisal, but it needed a lot (new filter, pump, etc). After 2 years where it barely went above 80* (too much shade), we added the heater. It’s not just pool costs... it’s your time to take care of it too... and all the family parties that you pay for too. The grandkids love it, so I put up with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom