OT-I bring you the WNBA All-Star MVP trophy! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT-I bring you the WNBA All-Star MVP trophy!

Reaction Score
She did get better than a participation award. She won the MVP. She was acknowledged all over the WNBA, and got a trophy for it.

Again, I don't get the hysterics I'm seeing on here. It's like a gaggle of 5 year olds. "Waaaaaahhhh I want a bigger trophy". Good lord. In the grand scheme of things, THIS is getting some of your blood boiling??? :rolleyes:
It’s just the fact that the WNBA is giving out AAU type trophies.
It delegitimizes the whole league.
If you’re not going to do it right, don’t do it at all.
Looks nickel and dime to me.
What else did it come with? A gift certificate to the local buffet? ( for one?).

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not just the size but the size coupled with the uninspired generic design. Even the Big East knows how to design a trophy

1657708822619.png

Reaction Score
A conference room at the WNBA executive offices. In attendance: WNBA CEO, CFO, Marketing/Communications Director (MD), and Alice, an intern. The All-Star game MVP trophy sits on the table.

CEO: So, that's the trophy we picked out?

MD: yeah, but it's tiny and if we go with it we'll get clobbered in the papers and Twitter will go insane in a bad way.

CEO: What did we budget for a trophy?

CFO: I ran all the numbers and the best we could do was 50 bucks.

CEO: We paid 50 bucks for that? Who picked it out?

CFO: That would be Alice. We had her run down to Al's Trophy Emporium during her lunch hour the other day.

CEO: Hi Alice, nice to meet you. Am I right you paid $50 for that?

Alice: No ma'am, it was originally $50 but I got it on sale for $25.

MD: Thanks Alice. Look, all I know is that if we give... that...to the MVP of one of the most important marketing games of the season we'll look like dopes!

CEO: Well, we'll just have to return it and get something a little bigger.. Alice, would you do that please?

Alice: I don't think I can return it. If you'll let me turn it around like so...you can see the dent. That's why I got it for half off. It can't be returned.

CEO: Can't get our money back huh? Ok, that settles it. We go with what we have. Thank you Alice. Let's go on to the next agenda item.

Reaction Score
The WNBA has been in existence for roughly 25 years and has never made a profit, losing $10 million or more each and every year (for a grand total of approximately 1/4 $billion). They would not exist without being subsidized by the NBA. They are not a professional league, they are a charity. Complaining about the size of the trophy indicates a total break from reality.

Reaction Score
The WNBA has been in existence for roughly 25 years and has never made a profit, losing $10 million or more each and every year (for a grand total of approximately 1/4 $billion). They would not exist without being subsidized by the NBA. They are not a professional league, they are a charity. Complaining about the size of the trophy indicates a total break from reality.

Reaction Score
Shabby.
Not Chic shabby.
Just shabby.
“If you can’t do it right, don’t do it at all.”

Reaction Score
Amazing how many people (including her own teammates) are acting like a gaggle of five year olds, over a trophy!
Optics matter! If you are trying to be taken seriously as the female equivalent/alternative to the NBA, you have to do better than this.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
This argument is wearing a little thin and begs the question of why the NBA continues to subsidize the WNBA for 25 years.

The WNBA actually gets a higher percentage of their revenues from ticket sales than does the NBA, even though NBA ticket prices are much higher. This means the NBA gets a huge amount from merchandising, media, etc, now begging the question as to whether the existence of the WNBA adds value to the NBA, due to the fraternity between the leagues, enhanced viewership or other factors.

Unless you think one of the most successful businesses in the country subsidizes the WNBA purely out of the goodness of its heart, then investing $10 million into the WNBA, a fraction of the NBA’s $8 billion in revenues, appears to reflect its keen business acumen, even though the overall value of the WNBA does not show up on its own ledger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom