OT: how to not blow my life savings on my wedding | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: how to not blow my life savings on my wedding

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Wife and I have been married nearly 60 years now. Being from a rural midwest town, her parents insisted upon a "big" wedding so that everyone could actually see their daughter was legally married and not just living with me. Yeah, seriously, that's how it was done then. Ceremony performed in Dad's 19th century church in August and open windows didn't really air condition the sanctuary. Her dad spent as little as he thought he could get by with - no alcohol or band at the reception which was held free of charge in the community center. I don't blame the man, though, because I probably would have done the same in his shoes. (He paid the price a few years later when another daughter had a really big-deal wedding in the city with band, bar, etc.). He paid for the honeymoon motel in the Ozarks and paid an extra $1 per night for air conditioning, bringing the daily tab to $7.

Good memories and good years with the best woman I have ever personally known and who is now suffering from dementia. I'm confident, however, that she still remembers those days.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
LIVE IT UP. Have a blast. You have the rest of your life to make and save money.
...that your new wife can spend on shoes and decor.

Reaction Score
Wife and I have been married nearly 60 years now. Being from a rural midwest town, her parents insisted upon a "big" wedding so that everyone could actually see their daughter was legally married and not just living with me. Yeah, seriously, that's how it was done then. Ceremony performed in Dad's 19th century church in August and open windows didn't really air condition the sanctuary. Her dad spent as little as he thought he could get by with - no alcohol or band at the reception which was held free of charge in the community center. I don't blame the man, though, because I probably would have done the same in his shoes. (He paid the price a few years later when another daughter had a really big-deal wedding in the city with band, bar, etc.). He paid for the honeymoon motel in the Ozarks and paid an extra $1 per night for air conditioning, bringing the daily tab to $7.

Good memories and good years with the best woman I have ever personally known and who is now suffering from dementia. I'm confident, however, that she still remembers those days.

An amazing story, Bliss. Thanks for sharing. 60 years is an amazing testament to true love. In the talk of $$ throughout this page, we might forget about what the day is really about. My best to you and your wife.

Reaction Score

Very heartwarming. Thank you for sharing.

I met the love of my life 3 months ago at age 51. She makes me smile every day, and I do my best to do the same. Life can be truly amazing when you are with the right person.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My wife and I had a traditional wedding and reception. I paid for it so we looked for a way to save some money. We decided on a DJ over a band. BIG mistake. Bands are expensive but even a decent one can make the reception a lot of fun.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My wife and I had a traditional wedding and reception. I paid for it so we looked for a way to save some money. We decided on a DJ over a band. BIG mistake. Bands are expensive but even a decent one can make the reception a lot of fun.
...And a bad one can kill the party and there are a lot of bad ones.

Reaction Score
My wedding band absolutely rocked. The priest was even dancing to grateful dead tunes. Great vibe. Wish Bill Walton was there.

Reaction Score

I love this. Great post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom