OT: How long can the WNBA pump up Clark? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: How long can the WNBA pump up Clark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The obsession with Caitlin Clark by some UCONN fans is unparalleled. Why you'd rather start yet ANOTHER thread (there's multiple Clark bashing threads on the main UCONN board) to tear her down instead of starting a thread to celebrate your own rookie is beyond me.

Seriously, I haven't seen anyone hyping up Edwards aside from Nan and she's having a great start to her rookie season and played great last night. Comparatively we have at least 3 threads dedicated to dumping on Clark who isn't even playing poorly.
It’s driving me nuts. Every other thread on the other board becomes a Caitlin thread. I don’t understand the fixation on this woman - or on Nika, either. Nika was a lightning rod for criticism as a Husky now she’s the board darling. I don’t get it

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Clark has benefited the WNBA by bring unprecedented publicity to the league.
It is pretty clear that she can be a good pro, but she is no Stewart, Bird, Taurasi, etc.

When you listen to the announcers, it is clear that the league is still trying to play the Clark card.
Eventually, this will backfire as new fans start to ask themselves what all the fuss is about and tune out.
Now you know how fans of other programs felt about the media blanket coverage of Diana, Maya, and Stewie. Even Geno was wishing they’d talk about someone else. The coverage of Caitlin is more of the same

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
Everyone can have an opinion, but to me playing selfish, me-first basketball isn't going to get the same team all the way to the last game of the season 2 years in a row.
...but it did just that. Resulting in a loss to LSU in '23 and SCar in '24.

Amazingly, Iowa went 2-2 in the tourney vs those teams, and 1-1 vs UConn in Clark era.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
It’s driving me nuts. Every other thread on the other board becomes a Caitlin thread. I don’t understand the fixation on this woman - or on Nika, either. Nika was a lightning rod for criticism as a Husky now she’s the board darling. I don’t get it
Nika is a story of persevering and overcoming obstacles. Her strengths and weaknesses were obvious. She stayed healthy though, and made most of her opportunity.

She worked on her shot, and layup, and decision making.

Who'd a thunk she'd pass Sue Bird as all time assist leader and follow her to Seattle in WNBA.

Add in she is a class act, and it wins people over!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well Seattle just set their attendance record, and that's a franchise with a long history of winning. So I'd say the league should continue to keep hyping Clark as long as fans keep proving they want to see her play.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well Seattle just set their attendance record, and that's a franchise with a long history of winning. So I'd say the league should continue to keep hyping Clark as long as fans keep proving they want to see her play.
Maybe it’s not all due to Caitlin.

9268E057-5A63-4BC7-A8F1-7BF34492C16C.jpeg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Caitlin has increased her scoring and reduced her turnovers, but is still not efficient, plus the team is 0-5. Her shooting is at 40.3/32.6/91.3. She needs to boost her FG % by 5 points or so. Her assists and TOs are both at 5.8 per game. Skylar is second in the league at 4.6 TOs per game.

Reaction Score
Check out the UConn in the WNBA and Nika Muhl threads on the main board. Nika not only appreciates what Clark is doing for the game, she really likes her personally.
She brings people to the games, and gets more people watching on TV.
But that also exposes that the Referees
Need to get better, the rough play of teams like Connecticut, and Miller as coach of Los Angeles needs to be corrected.
Let the people see how well the game can be played, on both ends of the floor.
Watch players like Stewie, and it's too bad EDD isn't playing
Parker at her best played a beautiful brand of basketball.

Reaction Score
She’s just been sloppy Aaliyah which is my least favorite Aaliyah. The bar is higher for her than what she’s shown so I’m going to wait until she plays the way we know she can.
Geez. What did you expect her to do in 4 games as a rookie? She's improving every game, including being 5/7 in her last game.

The rookie class are all showing flashes of promise early in the season. Give it some bloody time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Gotta agree with Sir Charles in the tweet you posted. Petty.

View attachment 100950
I assume “the girls” are the other WNBA players? What have they said or done that constitutes hating?

I agree there have been some stupid and outrageous comments from some fans and parts of the (cough) media. But male sportscasters that have ignored women’s sports for years and then discovered the WNBA 5 minutes ago don’t get to mansplain women’s hoops to long time fans

Reaction Score
Speaking of hating, Diana has been taking a lot of heat for the statement below. She didn’t mention Caitlin or any particular rookie, was just commenting on the adjustment period - and got crucified

My thought is the following:

1). A combination of Iowa fans and casual fans who love her game took it as a personal dig. It human nature to interpret things personally.

2). Media talking heads who haven't paid attention jumped on to get engagement on their social media channels. They didn't care to dig deeper (e.g. Bomani's tweet).

3). This will continue for the balance of the season unfortunately because it's what's catching attention. As fans, we have to weather the storm while this rookie class finds their way.

Reaction Score
Geez. What did you expect her to do in 4 games as a rookie? She's improving every game, including being 5/7 in her last game.

The rookie class are all showing flashes of promise early in the season. Give it some bloody time.
my expectations for Aaliyah are high. Not going to lower them just because she’s a rookie. A free throw is a free throw. A wide open lay up and a wide open layup. No excuses for not making them imo.

Reaction Score
my expectations for Aaliyah are high. Not going to lower them just because she’s a rookie. A free throw is a free throw. A wide open lay up and a wide open layup. No excuses for not making them imo.
It's not a matter of lowering them, but managing them or being realistic. Contrast to second and third year players who can't even get off the bench for a few minutes, she's holding her own in her rookie season so far. Yes, missing free throws is not a good thing, but when you look at the overall picture, she's adjusting just fine.

This is like last summer when you were adamant that her time with the Canadian team was going to be detrimental to her development and she was going to regress. That didn't happen. In my opinion, it helped her have the season she did this past year.

Reaction Score
It's not a matter of lowering them, but managing them or being realistic. Contrast to second and third year players who can't even get off the bench for a few minutes, she's holding her own in her rookie season so far. Yes, missing free throws is not a good thing, but when you look at the overall picture, she's adjusting just fine.

This is like last summer when you were adamant that her time with the Canadian team was going to be detrimental to her development and she was going to regress. That didn't happen. In my opinion, it helped her have the season she did this past year.
Aaliyah did take a step back this year though. I think I was right about her time in Canada. She didn’t get better offensively and her mid range game got worse. She would have been better served having an off-season to improve.

And once again tonight she’s a mess on the court falling all over the place, injuring players missing lay ups and free throws. In a couple
Of seasons she’ll settle down but for no me she is a chaotic mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom