OT. How good is Duke going to be next year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT. How good is Duke going to be next year?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Do we need to start a thread like this for every has-been program?
As long as we can continue to recruit great players (willing to play team ball with varying degrees of talent but enough to win it all) we can continue to watch this antiquated method of team building and coaching and LOL. It will one day be looked back upon with head shaking and that proverbial saying that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the outcome to be different.
Tony Bennett song "San Francisco": "The glory that was Rome is of another day."

Reaction Score
Look at last year Recruiting class, how many 5 stars ended the year as a star player on a very good team? Castle, Dillingham, etc. It takes time to get good, not easy as a freshman.

Sure, there is Anthony Davis, Zion, Carmelo, Durant. And maybe it's Cooper too.

Reaction Score
Foster transfer
McCain NBA
Roach NBA or Europe
Proctor 2nd round

They are going to have a lot of young big and wing talent with no guards. There is a reason most of the way too early top 25s don’t have them at the top. Crap roster construction. Maybe Proctor and Foster come back but both seem 50/50 at best for Duke and one of them is trash and the other unknown.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Is Flagg better than Zion as a college player? Maybe. But the idea that they are favorites when they will have to go through teams with multiple veterans in the tournament flies in the fact of recent history

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Considering how poor a coach they have, I'll be shocked if the team is bought in by the end of the season to do something special. Winning is hard.

Reaction Score
I get that everybody has overhyped Flagg. I just don’t see how he’s that much better than Donyell as a freshman. And, yeah, Yell was really good - but you’d need a sophomore season to get into hopes of being the star on a potential title winning team. Heck, I’m not sure Flagg is as good as Castle. I bet Castle could shut him down.

Reaction Score
I get that everybody has overhyped Flagg. I just don’t see how he’s that much better than Donyell as a freshman. And, yeah, Yell was really good - but you’d need a sophomore season to get into hopes of being the star on a potential title winning team. Heck, I’m not sure Flagg is as good as Castle. I bet Castle could shut him down.
Flagg seems kind of lanky and thin. He could get punished.

Reaction Score
Duke's lineup this year:
Roach (graduating)- Foster (returning)
McCain (nba)--------Blakes (returning)
Proctor (nba)
Mitchell (transferring)
Filipowski (nba)------Ryan Young (graduating)

So Foster and Blakes are the only 2 rotation guys expected to return. Buried on the bench was also 5* SF TJ Power and 4* PF Sean Stewart.

next year's recruiting class includes: 5* PF Cooper Flagg / 5* C Khaman Maluach / 5* W Isaiah Evans / 5* W Kon Knueppel / 4* C Pat Ngongba / 4* W Darren Harris.

Next year's projected lineup:
Foster (4* soph)---Blakes (3* senior)
Evans (5* frosh)---Harris (4* frosh)
Power (5* soph)---Knueppel (5* frosh)
Flagg (5* frosh)----Stewart (4* soph)
Maluach (5* frosh)-Ngongba (4* frosh)

so basically Scheyer is picking up where Calipari left off. 1 upperclassman and he's gonna be their 10th man. good luck with that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Duke's lineup this year:
Proctor (nba)
Mitchell (transferring)

So Foster and Blakes are the only 2 rotation guys expected to return. Buried on the bench was also 5* SF TJ Power and 4* PF Sean Stewart.

next year's recruiting class includes: 5* PF Cooper Flagg / 5* C Khaman Maluach / 5* W Isaiah Evans / 5* W Kon Knueppel / 4* C Pat Ngongba / 4* W Darren Harris.

so basically Scheyer is picking up where Calipari left off. 1 upperclassman and he's gonna be their 10th man. good luck with that.
Duke’s biggest problem is Scheye, because Scheyer Whois the guy that followed THE GUY. The next coach will be their best bet to restore the program’s, ahem, ‘legacy’.

caw

Reaction Score
Duke's lineup this year:
Proctor (nba)
Mitchell (transferring)

I can't see Power starting at the 3. He would be a mess defensively, though I guess with Flagg and Maluach behind him he has a lot of latitude. Stewart needs a lot of work to play the modern four, he is poor shooting for a center let alone a PF, even as a backup. Good rebounder though. I think they go:

Knueppel (5* frosh)---Flagg/Harris/Evans
Flagg (5* frosh)---Power (5* soph)
Maluach (5* frosh)----Stewart (4* soph)----Ngongba (4* frosh)

Orc

Reaction Score
Duke's lineup this year:
Proctor (nba)
Mitchell (transferring)

Meh not impressed with all burger boys starting lineup. Ive seen too many 5 star freshmen laden teams from kentucky/Duke choke too many times in the tourney.

Reaction Score
With Scheyer as his coach Flagg’s another Felipe Lopez. Scheyer might be gone in 3 or 4 years, give it time.
Felipe did not have the quality supporting cast that Flagg will have.

With all those other 5 star players, opposing defenses won't be able to key on him. So, unless he becomes the Duke equivalent of Ajou Ajou or Ater Majok, he should flourish.

Scheyer isn't going to deflate his balloon. Flagg will have to self-destruct, which I seriously doubt will happen with all his talent.

Reaction Score
Duke has the top recruiting class coming in, headlined with national POY Cooper Flagg.
My question is; Will they be 24-25 champion in waiting? All of those 4 and 5 star recruits look impressive on paper, but an old sage once said that the game is not played on paper.
A number of current players are already leaving the program, current coach Schyer is NOT coach K. It remains to be seen whether or not they are going to be the toast of college basketball. Any thoughts on this?
Scheyers player development and coaching has looked suspect.

They’ll still be a second weekend team probably at worst. Flagg is legit

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
They will be very good, but as we’re all learning in his current era of college ball, experience and coaching takes you farther in March

High ranking, high seed, plenty of memorable moments, #1 draft pick hype, but probably won’t win it all

That’s a historic and very successful season. But Duke expects championships and I don’t think they win it unless they grab some big transfers. So unless they make a final 4, their fanbase might be disappointed

I'd argue this was the case in 2011 and 2014. UK was already doing the 1-and-done thing by 2011 and Duke joined them soon after. Both title teams had a good mix of young talent and veteran leadership.

Reaction Score
There will be far fewer sixth year players next year with the Covid year phasing out. So that should help teams comprised mainly of freshmen and sophomores some. But those teams are still vulnerable in the tournament to losing to more experienced teams. Particularly if a freshmen heavy team lost the bulk of their experience to graduation or the portal.

Reaction Score
Knueppel (5* frosh)---Flagg/Harris/Evans
Flagg (5* frosh)---Power (5* soph)
Maluach (5* frosh)----Stewart (4* soph)----Ngongba (4* frosh)
If power is stuck behind Flagg then he needs to enter the portal, cause He’s not gonna get quality PT until he’s a junior. I also don’t think Ngongba signed up to be the 3rd string center.

Reaction Score
Flagg seems kind of lanky and thin. He could get punished.
He's also going to be one of the youngest guys playing college ball next season. He's still going to be 17 until the end of December while playing against a bunch of 22, 23, and 24 year old men. He's obviously very talented, but I don't know if he'll have the physical maturity to be truly dominant next season.

Reaction Score
Duke and Kentucky are always getting top recruits. It's hasn't translated to a championship in years

Reaction Score
Funny people are dishing Scheyer, he has only been coach for 2 seasons and got them to the sweet 16, not much of a litmus test yet. I think long term he will be fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom