OT: How do you old guys stay in competitive shape? | The Boneyard

OT: How do you old guys stay in competitive shape?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I used to be decent to good at numerous sports back in CT. Moved to a new city, started a business, got fat and didn't "compete" in anything that involved a ball or teams for almost 20 years, with the exception of an evening 9-hole golf league for couple of years.

At 62 I finally dropped some pounds this year, got to biking regularly and found an over-55 softball league so I'd have something where I could release pent up competitive juices.

Slowpitch is a sport I used to rule. I was told that "newbies" who hadn't played in a decade or two typically got injured right away and it was mostly hammies. I figured my hammies would be OK from the biking, but I made sure they were stretched out well before playing my first game.

Hammies were fine. Between fielding errant throws and trying to accelerate out of the batter's box I did pull both groins and twisted a knee first game. Took the next one off, wrapped up my legs like Mickey Mantle for the one after that, then pulled a quad and a calf. All the while I went a whopping 2-for-16 as I was hitting flatfooted and required a runner.

I went out an purchased an impressive collection of compression sleeves for various body parts. I healed with the help of some PT, came back, hit .700 in final three games while running for myself but now have a stress fracture in my outer ankle which I believe is from running bases.

Based on the amount and types of yardwork I do, I was not expecting a complete physical breakdown from frigging slowpitch softball. But damn. Every throw feels like I'm ripping years of scar tissue. God forbid I decide to dive for a ball... who knows what will break?

I've received from other players advice ranging from, "I do tai chi every morning" to "The secret is to never stretch a damned thing!" when asking about how they keep their atrophied muscles and arthritic joints limber and their brittle bones from breaking.

So what's you're secret for limbering up to play competitive sports at at least a competent level once you're past 60? What should I be doing this offseason to prepare for next year?

Reaction Score
Stretch after not before games. Do a dynamic warm-up instead. Not the reason youre getting ALL those injuries, but it may contribute.

Some people are just genetically more sturdy, even if you were once quite fit. Take it easy and have fun. It's softball.

Reaction Score
I believe you have 3 components: How you eat, how you drink alcohol and how you exercise.

When you get older, you have to be smart about (at least) 2 of the 3. If you want to eat poorly, you need to monitor your alcohol and exercise regularly. If you don't want to exercise regularly, you need to be strict about what you're eating and drinking.

Most guys want to eat and drink like they're 22 and don't exercise nearly enough and the pounds mount.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Uh, when you say competitive, do you mean competitive eating?

I understand that "sport" even less than I do adults who still watch wrestling.

Pepe's/Sally's/Modern

I imagine that I could burn a butt ton of calories running back and forth between Pittsburgh and New Haven.

Reaction Score
I used to be decent to good at numerous sports back in CT. Moved to a new city, started a business, got fat and didn't "compete" in anything that involved a ball or teams for almost 20 years, with the exception of an evening 9-hole golf league for couple of years.

At 62 I finally dropped some pounds this year, got to biking regularly and found an over-55 softball league so I'd have something where I could release pent up competitive juices.

Slowpitch is a sport I used to rule. I was told that "newbies" who hadn't played in a decade or two typically got injured right away and it was mostly hammies. I figured my hammies would be OK from the biking, but I made sure they were stretched out well before playing my first game.

Hammies were fine. Between fielding errant throws and trying to accelerate out of the batter's box I did pull both groins and twisted a knee first game. Took the next one off, wrapped up my legs like Mickey Mantle for the one after that, then pulled a quad and a calf. All the while I went a whopping 2-for-16 as I was hitting flatfooted and required a runner.

I went out an purchased an impressive collection of compression sleeves for various body parts. I healed with the help of some PT, came back, hit .700 in final three games while running for myself but now have a stress fracture in my outer ankle which I believe is from running bases.

Based on the amount and types of yardwork I do, I was not expecting a complete physical breakdown from frigging slowpitch softball. But damn. Every throw feels like I'm ripping years of scar tissue. God forbid I decide to dive for a ball... who knows what will break?

I've received from other players advice ranging from, "I do tai chi every morning" to "The secret is to never stretch a damned thing!" when asking about how they keep their atrophied muscles and arthritic joints limber and their brittle bones from breaking.

So what's you're secret for limbering up to play competitive sports at at least a competent level once you're past 60? What should I be doing this offseason to prepare for next year?
I know you were being earnest and this was not the intended effect, but I couldn't stop LOLing while reading this for some reason. And it's been a few years since I've had a chance to do anything more than just jog (house, kids, etc), so I really shouldn't be laughing since I'd probably have a similar breakdown or three.

Also I have nothing to offer in the way of advice, sorry.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm in my mid 60's now. The body does not want to do what it use to. That just a fact of life. I use to backpack regularly when we lived in CT, but the last few years became difficult at best. The body just wouldn't carry the load. It doesn't help I have arthritis in my lower back and neck either.

Two years ago I got rid of a major vice - smoking. And proceeded to gain weight. Now I work to get the weight. Biking 4 to 6 miles each morning is getting it off along with changing my eating habits. Biking is great for the legs, knees (I've had both knees cut twice), the back and endurance. I'm also doing a lot more stretching to keep as limber as I can.

As to competative sports, been there, done that. I golf for fun, not the score.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm 72. I ponder my mortality daily. Well, more like nightly.
I hit the gym probably 28~29 days a month, mostly for cardio and peripheral vascular benefits. Bike, treadmill, rowing.
The last time I attempted to play HORSE, I hurt my left knee so badly it was swollen for 3 days. that was HORSE mind you, not actual basketball.
SIGH.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I believe you have 3 components: How you eat, how you drink alcohol and how you exercise.

When you get older, you have to be smart about (at least) 2 of the 3. If you want to eat poorly, you need to monitor your alcohol and exercise regularly. If you don't want to exercise regularly, you need to be strict about what you're eating and drinking.

Most guys want to eat and drink like they're 22 and don't exercise nearly enough and the pounds mount.
Well said!

Reaction Score

August_West walks to Arby's.

Reaction Score
First you marry some one 21 years younger than you, who runs 5 miles a day, rides her bike 15-20 miles a day, roller blades a couple of times a week , does all the yard work at our home and asked for a skate board for Christmas (which santa brought ) to add to her 7 surfboards...... and you just try( and fail) to keep up with her, but as long as your trying you'll do good enough to stay in reasonable shape . ( having 6 kids 34 through 5years of age also helps)

Reaction Score
Age 60, I play basketball 2-3 days a week. I’ve been road cycling for about 8+ years. I love riding and try to get out 2-3 times a week. When it gets too cold I spin. On business trips I may run, but not often, too rough on the legs.

Reaction Score
First you marry some one 21 years younger than you, who runs 5 miles a day, rides her bike 15-20 miles a day, roller blades a couple of times a week , does all the yard work at our home and asked for a skate board for Christmas (which santa brought ) to add to her 7 surfboards. and you just try( and fail) to keep up with her, but as long as your trying you'll do good enough to stay in reasonable shape . ( having 6 kids 34 through 5years of age also helps)
There you go Storrs, heave-ho to the ‘ole wifey, grab a new one and make some babies!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom