OT - How Calipari Lost His Way | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - How Calipari Lost His Way

Reaction Score
You do realize he has the highest rated recruiting class ever this yr. I think he can’t coach and can coach even less in a more modern era than when he first started. He still has the Nike money behind him
Its the "highest ever" due to quantity and quality combination, not simply quality. It's widely considered a down class at the top. It's very likely nobody in this class is on that Wall, Cousins, AD tier. And beyond that, 2 of the 5 best guys are at the Ignite, also, including the most likely #1 (Ron Holland).

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think 2018-2019 was his last team which churned out a bunch of guys who are kicking butt in the NBA so not that long ago.
Yeah his recruiting has been good enough to still get guys drafted lottery but not good enough for high impact freshman.

He’s missed out on the Cade Cunningham’s, Chet’s, Paolo’s, Ant Edwards from over the years to have guys who can help you win instantly in year one. Those outside of the top 10 guys aren’t going to help there.
You do realize he has the highest rated recruiting class ever this yr. I think he can’t coach and can coach even less in a more modern era than when he first started. He still has the Nike money behind him
Maybe but I don’t think any of those guys are better than Castle right now. Maybe Rob can be a high level guy instantly but I’m not really seeing it personally out the bunch.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Its the "highest ever" due to quantity and quality combination, not simply quality. It's widely considered a down class at the top. It's very likely nobody in this class is on that Wall, Cousins, AD tier. And beyond that, 2 of the 5 best guys are at the Ignite, also, including the most likely #1 (Ron Holland).
Exactly

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He’s missed out on the Cade Cunningham’s, Chet’s, Paolo’s, Ant Edwards from over the years to have guys who can help you win instantly in year one.
And while we're on the subject of written expression, there really aren't multiples of specific players, only players who might be comparable.

Even if there were multiples of the same player invoked for rhetorical purposes, pluralization primarily works off variations that start with simply adding the letter S. As such, you would properly write "Cade Cunninghams, Chets, Paolos, and Edwardses."

The apostrophe is a punctuation mark used primarily to denote the possessive, such as "Cade Cunningham's passing ability," or a contraction that would shorten the two-word clause, "He has missed out...," to the briefer, "He's missed out..." that you used.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And while we're on the subject of written expression, there really aren't multiples of specific players, only players who might be comparable.

Even if there were multiples of the same player invoked for rhetorical purposes, pluralization primarily works off variations that start with simply adding the letter S. As such, you would properly write "Cade Cunninghams, Chets, Paolos, and Edwardses."

The apostrophe is a punctuation mark used primarily to denote the possessive, such as "Cade Cunningham's passing ability," or a contraction that would shorten the two-word clause, "He has missed out...," to the briefer, "He's missed out..." that you used.
Nerd Alert GIF

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Geeez, we can't even have a good ole fashion Squid bash party any more. Someone gets all uppity

If you don't have some bad to say about John Calamari, then don't say anything at all

Reaction Score
Uh, the 2004 Red Sox won the World Series.

That's part of what makes 2004 the greatest year for New England sports.

Red Sox World Series champion.
UConn men national champions
UConn women's national champions.
Patriots Super Bowl champions.

Heck, the football team won the motor city bowl that year too.
I thought my memory was betraying me. I could’ve sworn the Red Sox won that series in four games. Thank you for restoring my faith in my fragile memory.

Reaction Score
I’ve heard him say or imply that it’s very hard to win with one and done freshmen, despite the talent. It’s like he was looking for some sympathy lol. There’s truth to that…but nobody is forcing him to only go after those players. He can recruit anyone he wants.
like Cooper Flagg lol ... great to watch him for a year but like where we are at now w/out him too

dingaling

“There’s no better feeling than winning.” K.Powers
Reaction Score
Calipari has said numerous times that his main goal is to get kids to the NBA, not win NCAA Championships.

"Last year we started the season with a goal. You may think that goal was to win the national title and win all the games. It was to get eight players drafted ..."The mission statement for me would be to be a vehicle to help others reach their dreams, to be the stone that creates the ripple in their lives that goes on and on and on. Now, in our state, they want my mission to be WIN NATIONAL TITLES! WIN NATIONAL TITLES! But my mission is bigger than that."

That's a direct quote from 2015 after they lost to Wisconsin. I can see why Kentucky fans want him gone. His #1 priority is to be an NBA factory. Fans' #1 priority is competing for National Championships
I believe that's just what he said so he can sleep better at night and not feel like he failed.

Reaction Score
I thought my memory was betraying me. I could’ve sworn the Red Sox won that series in four games. Thank you for restoring my faith in my fragile memory.

The point he was making was pretty clear. You and the other guy just didn’t get it.

Reaction Score
Calipari has said numerous times that his main goal is to get kids to the NBA, not win NCAA Championships.

"Last year we started the season with a goal. You may think that goal was to win the national title and win all the games. It was to get eight players drafted ..."The mission statement for me would be to be a vehicle to help others reach their dreams, to be the stone that creates the ripple in their lives that goes on and on and on. Now, in our state, they want my mission to be WIN NATIONAL TITLES! WIN NATIONAL TITLES! But my mission is bigger than that."

That's a direct quote from 2015 after they lost to Wisconsin. I can see why Kentucky fans want him gone. His #1 priority is to be an NBA factory. Fans' #1 priority is competing for National Championships
Most places would be willing to give an "NBA factory" guy a shot...has to at the very least make for some fun, watchable hoops. Keep at it, Cal.

Reaction Score

I was hoping someone would point that out....

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I was hoping someone would point that out....
Thanks, I need the Yardigan's of the world, especially when they weigh in with a 4-dot ellipsis. It's the "eleven" of punctuation...nerd crack on steroids.

Reaction Score
Side note, but what a brutal end for Wisconsin that year. You slay the giant in Final Four, undefeated Kentucky, and still can't win the title. It's like the '04 Red Sox losing to the Cardinals.
Wisconsin had a chance to be an absolute legend. Virtually everyone in the country was rooting for them in both of those games.

Reaction Score
Great recruiter but mediocre coach at best. Would have had a lot more success if he didn’t sabotage his team with poor decisions or lack of focus in key stretch moments last 10+ years.

Reaction Score
Great recruiter but mediocre coach at best. Would have had a lot more success if he didn’t sabotage his team with poor decisions or lack of focus in key stretch moments last 10+ years.

I dislike Calipari as much as anyone if not more. The man can coach he proved it. At UMass, cheater or not he had a group of 3s and 4s who played great defense and beat some great teams, only to fall short. Nonetheless they were very good.

To me what he has proven is the one and dones, while being good players, still aren’t easy to coach and are still learning but have their sites set on the NBA more than a NC. There’s so many of his players at UK who didn’t show the ability they now show in the NBA. 5’s need to grow up too. What he’s not good at is making them understand chemistry and fundamentals and the importance of those in the team concept. He’s failed as a coach but the man can coach I believe. Sounds whacked but I believe that.

Reaction Score
I was in Detroit for our Final Four in 2009, bought 2nd row seats off stub hub to see Rip play against Emeka on Sunday. During the game, Calipari walked in just after he had been announced as Kentucky's new coach and sat in the row in front of me. I congratulated him and wished him luck "except when he played UConn". He mumbled something about what a great coach JC was.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe that's just what he said so he can sleep better at night and not feel like he failed.
Oh I'm pretty confident he sleeps pretty well, and probably a big pile of cash. He makes work like 9 million a year at Kentucky? He said that because it allows him to spin his relative lack of championships (just the one despite all the talent he brings in) into being a virtue. Calipari is above all else a salesman. If he was selling a used car he would describe it's leaking oil as an automatic oil change feature.

Reaction Score
"On April 4, 2015, John Calipari was the king of college basketball. He’d brought Kentucky to the Final Four for the fourth time in five years, this time with an unprecedented 38-0 record and a shot at not only his second national championship but also one of the greatest seasons of all time. His Wildcats led Wisconsin by four points with five minutes to go, seemingly destined for a title-game collision with Duke and nemesis Mike Krzyzewski. That is, until Calipari effectively deflated the basketball, ordering a team with seven eventual NBA draft picks to play stall ball." Kentucky lost, and Calipari has never been the same ever since...
NIL allows everybody to pay players.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I dislike Calipari as much as anyone if not more. The man can coach he proved it. At UMass, cheater or not he had a group of 3s and 4s who played great defense and beat some great teams, only to fall short. Nonetheless they were very good.

To me what he has proven is the one and dones, while being good players, still aren’t easy to coach and are still learning but have their sites set on the NBA more than a NC. There’s so many of his players at UK who didn’t show the ability they now show in the NBA. 5’s need to grow up too. What he’s not good at is making them understand chemistry and fundamentals and the importance of those in the team concept. He’s failed as a coach but the man can coach I believe. Sounds whacked but I believe that.
This is the right take. I think you need to ask why he gets so many of them? Some of it is Kentucky, but some of it is that he basically allows each of them to focus on themselves, on showcasing their skills for the NBA, rather than on sacrificing for the good of the team. You can't win that way.

Cal could get them to play winning basketball, but then he'd probably not get as many top players the next year. At some point he needs to say ok, then I don't need those guys and will recruit guys who fit what I need. Most good coaches do that.

Reaction Score
This is the right take. I think you need to ask why he gets so many of them? Some of it is Kentucky, but some of it is that he basically allows each of them to focus on themselves, on showcasing their skills for the NBA, rather than on sacrificing for the good of the team. You can't win that way.

Cal could get them to play winning basketball, but then he'd probably not get as many top players the next year. At some point he needs to say ok, then I don't need those guys and will recruit guys who fit what I need. Most good coaches do that.
Sure…but this mindset seems to indicate he doesn’t care about winning, only about getting top recruits so they can get to the NBA. What’s the point of having a coach build a team if he isn’t trying to win? It’s the equivalent of the US putting the dream team out there in the Olympics with no intention of winning, but just to showcase how good our individual stars are. If I were a UK fan and my coach was saying some of what he says I’d be pretty pissed.

Maybe he was a decent coach back in the 90’s, but if you’re landing 5 of the top 15 recruits year after year and you aren’t getting to the elite 8 or final 4 every year then you’re failing as a coach. That’s just my opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom