OT: Home Run Derby | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Home Run Derby

Reaction Score
Ok...it's batting practice. They are actually saying he broke a record.....it's batting practice. No more. I liked the celebrity softball game more.

Reaction Score
Baseball has a fundamental problem.

The batters are too strong for the stadiums to contain them.

Pitcher velocity + the athletes on defense make home runs the only way to score runs consistently.

Guys pump gas looking to avoid contact and the batters sell out looking to hit bombs.

The result is a boring product. Combine that with expensive and the empty seats are jarring.
The players aren't any stronger, they want the homer so coaches everywhere teach the homer swing like they do the three in basketball and they have manipulated the hell out of the ball. MLB has always bet on the long ball.

Reaction Score
The issue with baseball is that the key demographic grew up in the steroid era. Baseball meant McGuire/Sosa, watching Bonds, and Manny and Ortiz in Boston. Baseball will never be as exciting as what I got to see as a kid. I could count the number of close friends who still watch baseball on one hand
Where do you live? Everyone I know watches baseball.

Reaction Score
Not sure how a thread on a fun as hell HR derby turned into a conversation about whether or not baseball has an existential crisis but my two cents worth:

Is baseball as popular as it once was? No. But, nothing is as popular as it once was, everything is a niche and baseball occupies its own healthy niche in the entertainment and sports landscape.

Reaction Score
Not sure how a thread on a fun as hell HR derby turned into a conversation about whether or not baseball has an existential crisis but my two cents worth:

Is baseball as popular as it once was? No. But, nothing is as popular as it once was, everything is a niche and baseball occupies its own healthy niche in the entertainment and sports landscape.

Also, for the record, I’m a millennial and all my friends follow baseball at least to some extent. If they don’t watch every game then they look up scores and stats on their phones etc.

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't get the whole sky is falling thing. Everyone I know watches baseball a ton

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ok...it's batting practice. They are actually saying he broke a record.....it's batting practice. No more. I liked the celebrity softball game more.
I was more interested in the Futures Game, and I missed that as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Right. Strength and conditioning hasn't improved . . . :rolleyes:

if you saw the reds with the sleeveless uniforms ovee the weekend it’s fairly absurd. they look like a national championship crossfit team

Reaction Score
Also, for the record, I’m a millennial and all my friends follow baseball at least to some extent. If they don’t watch every game then they look up scores and stats on their phones etc.
Different world. Growing up, there was the game of the week and Monday Night baseball. Remember, depending on where you lived(Central Ct for me)...there were 2 to 4 channels. Listening to games on radio was in. Now there are so many other things going on and hundreds and hundreds of games a year available. Baseball is popular, but the arena has changed dramatically.

Reaction Score
if you saw the reds with the sleeveless uniforms ovee the weekend it’s fairly absurd. they look like a national championship crossfit team

Yeah that was cool as hell. All baseball uniforms should be sleeveless

Reaction Score
Yeah that was cool as hell. All baseball uniforms should be sleeveless

And before all you facial hair-hatin’ Yankee fans come at me, y’all can have these “sleeves”

B38F09E8-EB06-427C-8A25-DF108D72232B.jpeg

Reaction Score
Right. Strength and conditioning hasn't improved . . . :rolleyes:
You think the players are stronger than they were in 90's early 2000's when the majority of the league was juicing? There is still a good chunk of the league juicing but like 60%-70% or so of the league was back then.

Explain to me how strength and conditioning has improved since then? You get stronger by lifting heavy weights, eating, and taking drugs. Weights and weight lifting haven't changed, the food hasn't changed, the drugs have changed some but I think they're cycling most of the same stuff. I may be naive but I don't think as many MLB players are using as they were in the 90's and early 2000's.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The Reds were never afraid to rock sleeveless jerseys. They did it in the 60s and then the mid 90s. I recall other teams doing it as well, but there would always be the solid color undershirt.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You think the players are stronger than they were in 90's early 2000's when the majority of the league was juicing? There is still a good chunk of the league juicing but like 60%-70% or so of the league was back then.

Explain to me how strength and conditioning has improved since then? You get stronger by lifting heavy weights, eating, and taking drugs. Weights and weight lifting haven't changed, the food hasn't changed, the drugs have changed some but I think they're cycling most of the same stuff. I may be naive but I don't think as many MLB players are using as they were in the 90's and early 2000's.
Weight training was not as prevalent as it is now and the training is better. The food might be the same, but the diets and dietitians are better. Therapy/rehab and medical science have all improved and video review technology is so far more efficient and readily available. Guys used to use spring training to get into shape. Players may take October off, but are back training by Thanksgiving.

Another thing, the rosters and positional prototypes have evolved and there is far more specialization now. Dan Quisenberry broke the 10 year single season save mark in 1983. 22 others have a combined 72 seasons with 45 saves or more since then. The 3-true outcomes hitter was rare and strikeouts were to be avoided. Now batters are less protecting the plate and swinging for the fences, sitting on the fastball, with two strikes. A baserunner is worse for the pitcher. Pitchers akin to Greg Maddox and Jamie Moyer were far more the norm than the fireballers like Roger Clemens, who would only top out around 93. A LOOGYs split-finger is 93 nowadays.

Reaction Score
Weight training was not as prevalent as it is now and the training is better. The food might be the same, but the diets and dietitians are better. Therapy/rehab and medical science have all improved and video review technology is so far more efficient and readily available. Guys used to use spring training to get into shape. Players may take October off, but are back training by Thanksgiving.

Another thing, the rosters and positional prototypes have evolved and there is far more specialization now. Dan Quisenberry broke the 10 year single season save mark in 1983. 22 others have a combined 72 seasons with 45 saves or more since then. The 3-true outcomes hitter was rare and strikeouts were to be avoided. Now batters are less protecting the plate and swinging for the fences, sitting on the fastball, with two strikes. A baserunner is worse for the pitcher. Pitchers akin to Greg Maddox and Jamie Moyer were far more the norm than the fireballers like Roger Clemens, who would only top out around 93. A LOOGYs split-finger is 93 nowadays.
Weight training wasn't as prevalent in the 90's early 2000's as it is now? What???

The majority of the league was on steroids.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
the absolute worst idea is bigger rosters.

oh good more relief pitchers!

They’re already doing it anyway. Why not do it in a way that

1) increases roster consistency

2) promotes better health

You could always cap the amount of pitchers who could be on any active game roster.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They’re already doing it anyway. Why not do it in a way that

1) increases roster consistency

2) promotes better health

You could always cap the amount of pitchers who could be on any active game roster.

Everyone would just deactivate 3 starters and all you’ve done is increase everyone’s pen by 3 arms.

Reaction Score
you are what is becoming a pretty clear minority.

optimizing the rosters has made it impossible for the casual fan - they cycle through so many players in a season it’s insane.

remember when baseball fans knew rotations? remember when you could manage along without volumes of baseball-reference and fangraphs metrics?
Couple points here. I pretty clearly just made the point that I think MLB should adopt some of the rules being discussed to avoid such specialization as it slows down the game. Second, rotations outside of a few teams, aren't becoming harder to remember because of specialization, and third, that managing along without real statistical analysis has led to such atrocious inventions as this sacrifice bunt.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about baseball training but sport specific training has drastically improved in the last 20 years, basketball being the example I know the most about. I imagine baseball has also gone through the same thing.

the weightlifting routines from the 90s are laughed about nowadays by trainers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom