OT: Heartbroken for UCF | The Boneyard

OT: Heartbroken for UCF

Reaction Score
Not something we say on the boneyard, but what an effort to take down the evil empire that is Duke

Those kids really deserved to win. Can’t believe that follow up didn’t fall. Senior team that really played their nuts off.

Congrats to the Knights for the season

Reaction Score
Gotta box put on Zion's missed FT. UCF player who had inside position just went for the ball instead of putting a body on dook player. And he got out jumped.
AJ Griffin grabs that rebound if Delaurier isn't hooked around his arm not allowing him to jump. Or it's a 1and1/charge on the outrageously contact-full drive just beforehand, taking away any chance to go up and the 5th foul on Taco. Or UCF doesn't blow a 2on1 fastbreak and they win easily

Reaction Score
The gut wrenching mistakes they made at the end:

1. The missed ally-oop dunk
2. Letting Zion just make the lay up while up 3
3. No box out on the missed fee throw
4. Tap in doesn’t go down

If the execute just 1 of these they win the game...you never get over losses like this.

Reaction Score
UCF had it in hand, but regardless, I hope these kids can hold their heads high and relish that game for the rest of their lives. It was an awesome display and they were all class the whole game. I really admired them. They were so disciplined physically and mentally. Just a great group of kids and a great performance. Their sportsmanship and composure were top notch.

Zion was a bull in a China shop on that last play and got away with it. UCF made a few mistakes that were costly, but they played an outstanding game against an all star team of bought superstars. Great showing.

Reaction Score
Gotta box put on Zion's missed FT. UCF player who had inside position just went for the ball instead of putting a body on dook player. And he got out jumped.
No way 2nd guy on the block gets that rebound right at the rim. Just doesn't happen. UCF player was already under the basket and RJ's arms were straight out in his back.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

If the execute just 1 of these they win the game...you never get over losses like this.

You're not wrong, but I wouldn't call the missed tap 'a mistake'. It was a great follow by Dawkins. It just didn't drop. Happens.

Reaction Score

Number 3 is just flat out wrong. He DID box out, Barrett shoved him in the back

Reaction Score
I loathe all things Puke. Don't respect them. Hate them.
UCF had it and did the ol' pulling defeat from the jaws of victory.
Taco should have had his 4th foul well before he did - they got bailed out.
Whistles were not Puke-friendly. I hate them and I thought the officiating was fine.
The failed box out was inexcusable. Worthy of the loss. Awful. Guy who rebounded the ball was 2' from the rim. Terrible. No con-Test on the follow-up lay in.
Duke is not great. Plain as that. I haven't watched much, but they don't work as a team, and they don't have great shooters, from what I saw.
Zion is a physical specimen, but he is overrated - I don't think he will be great in the NBA - he will be very good. He has a very loose handle, he's not that tall, he can't shoot the 3 very well . . . he'll have a much harder time in the pros, when every other guy is 6/8 with a 36" vertical. Time will tell.
UCF should be proud they stayed close. Several plays will haunt them.

I hope, for our sakes, they stay in the AAC - the sleeping giant is waking up.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
What does their class look like coming in? Taylor and Tacko were there when Bazz played. I know it’s unpopular but I have no simpathy for the team with sideshow center, linebacker playing PG and Easter Island statue playing forward. They’ve been living a very charmed life as an athletic department. It’s ok to lose once in a while.

Reaction Score
No tears from me for UCF...they looked really good under the big spotlight. Bodes well for them.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Can we say something good about the AAC now?
As someone who has promoted us moving to the Big East I gotta give props to UCF and the AAC showing this year. I'm a vegetarian so I'll need a tofu crow dish.

Reaction Score
Only low point of AAC teams in the postseason was Cincy’s loss

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No way 2nd guy on the block gets that rebound right at the rim. Just doesn't happen. UCF player was already under the basket and RJ's arms were straight out in his back.

My point is when you focus on the box out you set your feet and lower your CG to withstand a push in the back. You go for the ball and out all your momentum going up towards the rim and that same push in the back gets you what happened today.

I forget all the new rule changes but if Dawkins could have called a TO before Zion's FT I would gave used the last TO at that point. Settle your players down and focus on first things first.

Reaction Score
I only saw the last few minutes. It still looked like the Duke player had his hands all over the back of the UCF player. Different refs than I've seen in the AAC all year, but I've seen less with the hands called. Still, you have to push back harder and box out better. Maybe it looked worse the way he drifted forward.

Reaction Score
I watched a replay on Zion's last bucket...that UCF guard had not set and did not own position...Zion physicalled through him, just like the refs have allowed all season...I change my call...that was no charge.

Reaction Score
My point is when you focus on the box out you set your feet and lower your CG to withstand a push in the back. You go for the ball and out all your momentum going up towards the rim and that same push in the back gets you what happened today.

I forget all the new rule changes but if Dawkins could have called a TO before Zion's FT I would gave used the last TO at that point. Settle your players down and focus on first things first.
Damn, the other guy was chicken winged too. Both were boxed out, both played dirty, don't deserve to win.

Mark Ennis on Twitter

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom