OT: Hartford Baseball | The Boneyard

OT: Hartford Baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can you think of a worse listing of possible names?

Hedgehogs
Honey Badgers
Hound Dogs
Blue Frogs
Choppers
Praying Mantis
River Hogs
Screech Owls
Whirlybirds
Yard Goats

I would hate to see what the other 5990 options were that had been discarded for these ten.

Reaction Score
AWFUL. None of those make any sense and look ridiculously childish. Maybe they're already thinking about selling hats with things like River Rats? Pretty embarrassing for a minor leaguer to say "yeah I'm playing for the Praying Mantis's" Wtf

Reaction Score
Seems like an Arkansas alum is wielding some power??? Hedgehogs & Riverhogs. We can pretend we are living in Fayetteville. It better at least be the Hartford Hound Dogs!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
AWFUL. None of those make any sense and look ridiculously childish. Maybe they're already thinking about selling hats with things like River Rats? Pretty embarrassing for a minor leaguer to say "yeah I'm playing for the Praying Mantis's" Wtf

ROTFLAO

Reaction Score
Those names are just downright tuuurible...why not go with something simple like Hartford Baseball Club?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I propose the Hartford Horndogs. They can get some scantily clad cheer leaders to get the crowd going. It'll be perfect.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I almost guarantee it will be Honey Badger. And that video narrator will be the radio guy.

"And Fuentes hits a liner off the wall!. And he's going for 3rd! Fuentes doesn't give a !

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Hartford Hookers - perfect sponsor tie-in, appropriate double enterdre (you could even go triple and make it a gorton's fisherman mascot) - it's a win-win! :)

Reaction Score
The names, as simplistic as some may appear, make some sense according to the ball club:

Blue Frogs: Combining Hartford's literary and baseball history, Blue Frogs marries Mark Twain's short story, "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County," and the name of Hartford's first baseball team, the Dark Blues.
Choppers: Celebrating Hartford's place in aviation history, Choppers honors Connecticut's invention of the first helicopter in 1939.
Hedgehogs: With Hartford known as the "Insurance Capital of America," the Hedgehog is a tribute to our insurance industry, while celebrating Hartford's fighting spirit.
Honey Badgers: Everyone loves a good alliteration and Honey Badgers is a fun name that falls in line with the Lugnuts, Biscuits and other wacky names that minor league baseball is known for.
Hound Dogs: A smart, loyal and useful dog who is always by your side, just like the community of Hartford.
Praying Mantis: As Connecticut's state insect, the Praying Mantis embodies Hartford's fighting spirit and being known for punching above its weight.
River Hogs: This name is a tribute to the Hog River that flows under the city of Hartford.
Screech Owls: A Hartford native, screech owls are known for their fierce piercing calls.
Whirlybirds: Celebrating Connecticut's helicopter manufacturing and the Northeast Helicopter School, the Whirlybirds opens up all kinds of fun mascot possibilities.
Yard Goats: Railroad slang for an engine that switches a train to get it ready for another locomotive to take over, the Yard Goats honors Hartford's rich railroad history.

Reaction Score
Was that list of names supposed to be released on April 1, or by The Onion? Quite creative, and equally inspiring! :rolleyes: Maybe the Mark Twain-inspired Blue Frogs mascot offers something, but ...

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I like Screech Owls and Honey Badgers.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
You'd think they might be able to come up with something sensible...but lots of minor league teams have weird names. The Toledo Mud Hens??? My personal favorite is the Macon Whoopies.

Reaction Score
The names, as simplistic as some may appear, make some sense according to the ball club:

Choppers: Celebrating Hartford's place in aviation history, Choppers honors Connecticut's invention of the first helicopter in 1939.
Whirlybirds: Celebrating Connecticut's helicopter manufacturing and the Northeast Helicopter School, the Whirlybirds opens up all kinds of fun mascot possibilities.

What are they going to do? Lay off a quarter of the team every few months to mirror Sikorsky and UTC?

Reaction Score
I dont care what the reasoning is. Awful team names. How about the Hartford Kraft Played Us for a Fool.

Reaction Score
Can you think of a worse listing of possible names?

Hedgehogs
Honey Badgers
Hound Dogs
Blue Frogs
Choppers
Praying Mantis
River Hogs
Screech Owls
Whirlybirds
Yard Goats

I would hate to see what the other 5990 options were that had been discarded for these ten.
I kind of like The Hartford Hit Men
But then again I might be biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member