OT: Hartford Area Restaurants | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Hartford Area Restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Max Downtown and J Gilberts are the two best places in the area.

Max Amore may be the worst of the Max restaurants.

Firebox is pretty good. But the neighborhood is worse, the parking is terrible and the menu is limited. Better for lunch.

Reaction Score
Not quite downtown Hartford but if I were to pick anywhere in Hartford county it would be Millwright's in Simsbury. Service is outstanding and food is really high level.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I went to Firebox a few weeks ago. It is on Broad Street in the city. Excellent, locally sourced food. I would highly recommend it.

I agree. The Max/Capital folks are recommending safe, generic restaurants.

If the neighborhood is a deal breaker for OP, then I would go to Salute. I have always had great meal - and just as important, the owners are great. If you mention you are there for 2 bday they will make note of it (in the past they have brought me extras on such events).

Reaction Score

Firebox is pretty good. But the neighborhood is worse, the parking is terrible and the menu is limited. Better for lunch.

Firebox is good but it is not in a good neighborhood. Walked very fast to the car when I didn't use the valet.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
The paella at Costa del Sol in the south end is unbelievable. Nice folks.
I had it in 1996. I can still see it, smell and taste it. Glad to see it is still great. I must get there again soon.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree. The Max/Capital folks are recommending safe, generic restaurants.

If the neighborhood is a deal breaker for OP, then I would go to Salute. I have always had great meal - and just as important, the owners are great. If you mention you are there for 2 bday they will make note of it (in the past they have brought me extras on such events).

I don't like the Max group as a rule and I don't like to go to Glastonbury. But I love Max Fish. I think generic and safe in this case is not accurate. It's head and shoulders above Salute. My favorite Hartford place is Firebox. I don't feel unsafe there but parking is an issue for 1st timers.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't like the Max group as a rule and I don't like to go to Glastonbury. But I love Max Fish. I think generic and safe in this case is not accurate. It's head and shoulders above Salute. My favorite Hartford place is Firebox. I don't feel unsafe there but parking is an issue for 1st timers.

I hate going to West Hartford myself - but love Glastonbury.

I don't feel unsafe at Firebox either but I could see people not from the area being turned off by the neighborhood.

Reaction Score
Definitely keep this quiet, don't want it over-run with the general public riff-raff.

1441 New Britain Ave
West Hartford, CT

Reaction Score
so many good choices:
On20; Salute, Max Downtown, or Peppercorns in Hartford. Union League in New Haven.

Reaction Score
Dove said:
I had it in 1996. I can still see it, smell and taste it. Glad to see it is still great. I must get there again soon.

I swear that place gets better every time I go.

I try to get to the south end once every month whether it be there franklin grinders Carbone's or the pastry place. I'm going to Carbone's Monday actually. Anyone have any more south end places I should add to the list while we are on the food topic.

Reaction Score
I hate going to West Hartford myself - but love Glastonbury.

I don't feel unsafe at Firebox either but I could see people not from the area being turned off by the neighborhood.
Generally speaking, I think even most people from the area are turned off by the neighborhood. You two are the exceptions. ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Generally speaking, I think even most people from the area are turned off by the neighborhood. You two are the exceptions. ;)

Compared to the people I'm usually lumped together with around here (cough Jimmy Serrano cough), I'll take this as a small victory.

Reaction Score
whaler11 said:

I don't eat in the neighborhood and the valet parks my car.

Reaction Score
husky8273 said:
so many good choices:
On20; Salute, Max Downtown, or Peppercorns in Hartford. Union League in New Haven.

On20 is my next stop.

Reaction Score
Of the Max group the sleeper may be Max a Mia in Avon. Quaint little spot in Avon with excellent food and service.

Reaction Score
Cavey's in Manchester is still outstanding. Not a huge fan of Carbones. Prefer some of the small Italian restaurants in the South End: Ficara's, etc.

Reaction Score
Cavey's in Manchester is still outstanding. Not a huge fan of Carbones. Prefer some of the small Italian restaurants in the South End: Ficara's, etc.
Actually Geno's Grill in Southington is pretty good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The paella at Costa del Sol in the south end is unbelievable. Nice folks.

We can tie this into UConn sports. We were tailgating before the USA-Latvia game at The Rent a few years back. The group next to us had this huge contraption that sort of looked like a huge garbage can lid held over a flame thrower. The head guy started putting all sorts of stuff in the lid. It took well over an hour, but it was finally ready. And after the first pass they were gracious enough to invite us to try it. That was the first time I had paella and it was delicious, even the mussels which I had successfully avoided previously. As it turned out the chef was a real chef as well as the owner of Costa del Sol. We've been going there ever since. In fact. we are due for another visit.

Reaction Score
Two of the best in CT are in Simsbury: Mill at 2T (the best) and Millwrights.

Reaction Score
Goat said:
Two of the best in CT are in Simsbury: Mill at 2T (the best) and Millwrights.

Went to Millwrights a couple of weeks ago for my sisters birthday (she lives up there). By far the best meal I've ever had in CT. I work in NYC and travel extensively and that place stacks up against anywhere in the country.

You can't have a bad time at the Max restaurants or Capital Grille either. But if you want an experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom