OT: Hartford Area Restaurants | The Boneyard

OT: Hartford Area Restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Guys I trust your judgement and need some help.

My wife and oldest daughter have same day birthdays Saturday (4/11). Its my wife 60th bday so I plan to have my father (Amherst) and other daughter (Boston) meet us at a restaurant near Hartford. I'm in Fairfield County so I am not familiar with a 'very nice' restaurant to all meet at near Hartford.

Ambiance and Service I would say are the most important. Great food of course would be a bonus.

Its a special day so a special restaurant would be perfect. I know I'll be spending some money so any restaurant suggestions are good. I'm looking at an early dinner, around 4-5pm.

Its last minute but 'unfortunately' that's always been my style.

Reaction Score
Guys I trust your judgement and need some help.

My wife and oldest daughter have same day birthdays Saturday (4/11). Its my wife 60th bday so I plan to have my father (Amherst) and other daughter (Boston) meet us at a restaurant near Hartford. I'm in Fairfield County so I am not familiar with a 'very nice' restaurant to all meet at near Hartford.

Ambiance and Service I would say are the most important. Great food of course would be a bonus.

Its a special day so a special restaurant would be perfect. I know I'll be spending some money so any restaurant suggestions are good. I'm looking at an early dinner, around 4-5pm.

Its last minute but 'unfortunately' that's always been my style.
Max Fish in Glastonbury is good if you like seafood.
Carbones in Hartford is also very good - old school Italian.

Reaction Score
If you're looking for fine dining and money is no object there only two options (IMO).

Capital Grille or Max Downtown. Dinner at either of these would typically run at least $100/head for 3 courses and a glass or two of wine.

Max is in the heart of downtown, Capital Grille is on the newly developed Front street. Both are perfectly safe and well-lit. Each also has valet parking.

Trumbull Kitchen and Dish are a step below that and cater to the younger professional crowd (late 20s, 30s, early 40s). Good food, decent service. Each also have valet parking IIRC.

There are a few other Max restaurants in the area (Max Fish, Max's Oyster Bar) J. Gilberts in Glastonbury is pretty good, Newington has a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse on the Berlin Turnpike.

Reaction Score
If you're looking for fine dining and money is no object there only two options (IMO).

Capital Grille or Max Downtown. Dinner at either of these would typically run at least $100/head for 3 courses and a glass or two of wine.

Max is in the heart of downtown, Capital Grille is on the newly developed Front street. Both are perfectly safe and well-lit. Each also has valet parking.

Trumbull Kitchen and Dish are a step below that and cater to the younger professional crowd (late 20s, 30s, early 40s). Good food, decent service. Each also have valet parking IIRC.

There are a few other Max restaurants in the area (Max Fish, Max's Oyster Bar) J. Gilberts in Glastonbury is pretty good, Newington has a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse on the Berlin Turnpike.

These are all spot-on - and for Italian, Vito's and Salute (next to one another downtown) are really very good, and Carbone's (in the South End) is as good as you'll find anywhere.

Capital Grille and Max Downtown are the industry standards, however.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My pick is Max Fish. We've gone there for similar family occasions and they have always come through. The last time we had 10 people and all the dishes came out at once nice and hot. Get the Skyscraper appetizer, it's very social. Also, it's right off the highway so easy on and off.

Reaction Score
Vito's is definitely quality food, but the one time I went I was unimpressed with the ambiance. This was over 5 years ago, but the place felt cheap even though the food was excellent. If the OP cares about ambiance, I would suggest someplace else (unless they've remodeled it).

Salute is new, I've heard good things but haven't been yet. Carbone's is top notch. There's another in Bloomfield that is excellent as well.

Reaction Score
Max Downtown and Salute are excellent. I haven't been there in a few years but Carbone's is excellent as well although it can be a little sketchy late night on a weekend. Hopefully the sketchy factor has dissipated.

In West Hartford Billy Grant's is good and Besito is my go to for Mexican and tequila.

In Glastonbury, I really like Bricco and J. Gilberts.

In my opinion one of the best restaurants in the state is the Mill at 2t in Tarifville (Simsbury). Very small and intimate ($$$). The menu is always changing and fresh which can be good or bad as it is a limited menu. Reservations are an absolute must due to the size. Can say without hesitation that I had the best meal of my life here a few years ago.

Reaction Score
I'm not big on Capital Grille. Max downtown is very good but loud and very corporate. Firebox has good food but is probably too casual for what you're looking for.

In Hartford, the best food and service will be at On20 in the Steam Boiler building. If you don't need to be in Hartford proper, the previously mentioned Mill at 2T or Millwright's in Simsbury or Cavey's in Manchester are good bets.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Is Cavey's downstairs in Manchester still excellent?

*edit* well, it looks like it still is from the above posts.

Reaction Score
Is Cavey's downstairs in Manchester still excellent?

*edit* well, it looks like it still is from the above posts.

If I could eat anywhere in the state, I'd pick Cavey's third, behind Union League Cafe and L'Orcio in New Haven.

Reaction Score
For a special family meal, I'd go with Carbones over a more "processed" Max Downtown or Capital Grille. I don't know single person who's ever complained about a meal there.

Reaction Score
For a special family meal, I'd go with Carbones over a more "processed" Max Downtown or Capital Grille. I don't know single person who's ever complained about a meal there.

Not sure what you mean by processed. I have a friend who runs an organic farm and Hunter Morton, Max's chef, puts vegetables picked that day on that night's menu in season.

Reaction Score

Max Amore in Glastonbury, next to Max Fish, is also in the group.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean by processed. I have a friend who runs an organic farm and Hunter Morton, Max's chef, puts vegetables picked that day on that night's menu in season.

I mean that Max is a small chain. Capital Grille is a bigger chain. All the Max restaurants are similar in certain ways. Carbones has a little more of a unique feel to it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I like Salute a lot. There is a garage right next door. Max Fish is also very good.

I generally do not like Max Amore, no noisy for me.

Reaction Score
I like Salute a lot. There is a garage right next door. Max Fish is also very good.

I generally do not like Max Amore, no noisy for me.

I did not like Max Amore at all... I hate seafood, but took my wife to Max Fish for her birthday and she absolutely loved it.

Reaction Score
I went to Firebox a few weeks ago. It is on Broad Street in the city. Excellent, locally sourced food. I would highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom