OT: Hard Rock Hartford | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Hard Rock Hartford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll tell you something that has never helped Hartford, the suck attitude from the majority of CT. residents towards it's state capital. All I hear is the suburbanites talking about how the city has no redeeming qualities and is more dangerous than Fallujah. It's certainly one thing I've never missed since leaving Connecticut, the attitudes of so many residents is just piss poor. Instead of constantly bashing Hartford why not drive in and seek out some of the culture it offers and spend a little money to support it's merchants.

Reaction Score
Yeah, OK, this will last
I hate being a downer BUT does anything ever last in Hartford anymore? - are there enough moving back into the city - ones that will make and spend money?
The city has changed so much that even icons like Sage Allen and GFox have disappeared. (I know - the boxstores, malls and the suburbs)
With demographics being what they are - who is going to support the ballpark and the new Hard Rock.
They haven't even played one game and they think that perhaps the stadium will be a draw?
I just don't get it- even more, I question the sanity of the person who is developing this LONGSHOT

The developer is Bob Landino, who has had an incredibly successful career doing exactly this sort of thing. But I guess you really have your pulse on the city. When did G. Fox close? Like 25 years ago?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
nothing exciting about this, wish they opened up a good burger spot like a burger fi or shake shack instead. It would do well with the lunch crowd as there is like 1 good quick sandwich spot downtown.

They're building a hotel and and restaurant and you want a Burger Fi instead?

You might be a hayseed, Jim.

Reaction Score
Yeah, OK, this will last
I hate being a downer BUT does anything ever last in Hartford anymore? - are there enough moving back into the city - ones that will make and spend money?
The city has changed so much that even icons like Sage Allen and GFox have disappeared. (I know - the boxstores, malls and the suburbs)
With demographics being what they are - who is going to support the ballpark and the new Hard Rock.
They haven't even played one game and they think that perhaps the stadium will be a draw?
I just don't get it- even more, I question the sanity of the person who is developing this LONGSHOT

I think there is a demographic trend of people moving back into cities. Hartford is behind this trend, but there are many people that want to be able to live and work in an urban environment. The more amenities and destinations that you build, the more attractive moving to Hartford will become. Look at how Boston and Providence have turned around as the population has been growing in both cities since the late 1980s.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you something that has never helped Hartford, the suck attitude from the majority of CT. residents towards it's state capital. All I hear is the suburbanites talking about how the city has no redeeming qualities and is more dangerous than Fallujah. It's certainly one thing I've never missed since leaving Connecticut, the attitudes of so many residents is just piss poor. Instead of constantly bashing Hartford why not drive in and seek out some of the culture it offers and spend a little money to support it's merchants.
That's slowly changing. Actually, it's changing fast. Bridgeport is even becoming a nice city. Never thought I'd see that happen.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I am there often, spending more than a little money on its restaurants, shops and all forms of entertainment and cultural offerings for around 35 years. Having spent a lot of time in Bridgeport, New Haven and NYC, I've never been remotely concerned about my personal safety in Hartford.

But the fact remains that it has very little pulse and never has had much during the time I've been frequenting it. It is the Nation's File Cabinet--the Insurance City--and it lives "up" to that reputation.

The developer is Bob Landino, who has had an incredibly successful career doing exactly this sort of thing.
I think there is a fair difference of opinion about that. River Sound Development/The Preserve and CollegePlace being just a few examples.

There is no doubt that he has made himself a lot of money in the process, and since he was a state legislator he has made very effective use of government tax and loan subsidies to help carry several huge projects. How those projects ultimately fare is another question.

Reaction Score
They're building a hotel and and restaurant and you want a Burger Fi instead?

You might be a hayseed, Jim.

Hartford is our state's capital and has been hurting for a very long time. Should this venture succeed it's a positive thing, Connecticut needs optimism and dumping on an idea simply because it is proposed for Hartford (or any other struggling city with a shrinking tax base) produces negative (Kelly's Heroes) vibes. For example the Hard Rock Café in Copenhagen is not in a great area but has a waiting-line crowd every night - hopefully this investment will succeed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hartford is our state's capital and has been hurting for a very long time. Should this venture succeed it's a positive thing, Connecticut needs optimism and dumping on an idea simply because it is proposed for Hartford (or any other struggling city with a shrinking tax base) produces negative (Kelly's Heroes) vibes. For example the Hard Rock Café in Copenhagen is not in a great area but has a waiting-line crowd every night - hopefully this investment will succeed.
Speaking only for myself, I wasn't dumping on the idea because it is proposed for Hartford, a struggling city. I don't think it's a good idea in 2015 here, period. Certainly not in any CT city. It was an interesting restaurant concept here 25-30 years ago.

Reaction Score
Yeah, OK, this will last
Seriously, what kind of post is this? Sage Allen and G Fox? Yup they were something else in the 1950's, do you seriously not realize that all the stores around the country like GFox closed shop decades ago. What do you mean when you say, "with demographics being what they are?" Hartford apartments are at like 97% occupied. You sound like a bitter old relic.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Sunday? more like 6 pm. haha

Feel the beat of Hartford.

They should bring back that commerical

Back in the day, Sunday was the best night of the week in Hartford. I forget the location but The Zywacks played there every sunday. Could not get enough of that band and their songs like Interacial Bi-girls Get It On.

Reaction Score
There's going to be a Blockbuster next door.
South.Park_.S16E12.HDTV_.x264-ASAP.mp4_snapshot_03.21_2012.10.26_13.53.24.jpg

Reaction Score
I think overall it's good for Hartford and I do think Hartford is on the upswing. The Science Center is pretty rad, I think the minor league park is cool. I know plenty of young UConn graduates who moved to the West End of Hartford semi-recently and enjoy living in a relatively urban environment and enjoy going to Tisane, Half Door, etc.

I also really like the area by Front/Arch St, with Bear's BBQ, NXIS, Ted's, Infinity Hall. I think UConn Hartford is absolutely going to help, too.

I still far prefer New Haven, but for many of my young professional friends who work in/around Hartford (for instance, ESPN is a huge employer in central CT), Hartford is slowly getting better, and I think that's a great thing.

As a culture, we are moving away from the suburbs and towards the cities. We like walking to stuff and realizing that driving cars everywhere isn't sustainable (or fun). We like being a part of a community and enjoy the cultural offerings of even small cities. New Haven is growing for the same reason.

If you're thinking about Sage Allen or G Fox, you're about two decades behind the curve on this one.

Reaction Score
exactly. People think all of Hartford is ghetto. I frequent downtown Hartford VERY often couple times a week. Spend a bunch of money down there. I love the way they are improving Hartford. I said something to my brother a couple months ago about how this is the busiest I have EVER seen Hartford at 8pm on a non XL Center night. Yes it wasn't crowded like Boston or NYC. But there was a pretty good amount of people just walking around, sitting at benches, exercising or just hanging out. Its amazing the stigma Hartford gets. Oh yeah and yes most of the people seen were all "White" So everyone can stop with "How Hartford is dangerous and full of crime" I don't feel scared at all walking around. Yes certain parts of the city I wouldn't go to. But then again why would anyone want to go to residential areas without knowing anyone? Hoping there is more people like me out there and give Hartford a shot. Who knows you might love what they are doing down there like I did. Sorry for the rant. Like you I'm so sick of people saying Hartford is so trashy and nothing to do. There is plenty to do down there. Go explore. This isn't your Hartford from 15 years ago anymore.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think overall it's good for Hartford and I do think Hartford is on the upswing. The Science Center is pretty rad, I think the minor league park is cool. I know plenty of young UConn graduates who moved to the West End of Hartford semi-recently and enjoy living in a relatively urban environment and enjoy going to Tisane, Half Door, etc.

I also really like the area by Front/Arch St, with Bear's BBQ, NXIS, Ted's, Infinity Hall. I think UConn Hartford is absolutely going to help, too.

I still far prefer New Haven, but for many of my young professional friends who work in/around Hartford (for instance, ESPN is a huge employer in central CT), Hartford is slowly getting better, and I think that's a great thing.

As a culture, we are moving away from the suburbs and towards the cities. We like walking to stuff and realizing that driving cars everywhere isn't sustainable (or fun). We like being a part of a community and enjoy the cultural offerings of even small cities. New Haven is growing for the same reason.

If you're thinking about Sage Allen or G Fox, you're about two decades behind the curve on this one.
I enjoyed living in the West End 20+ years ago and it has gotten much better since then.

I agree with you about the Front Street development. I have no idea about the extent of the subsidies and how sustainable the businesses there will remain once they expire (if they do), but I think they have a good selection and quality of businesses there and I like going there for shows, food and drinks.

I'm happy to see more smart development in all of Connecticut's cities. My issue with Hard Rock Cafe is that it last seemed relevant in the same era when Sage Allen and G. Fox were. Unless something has changed there recently, my observation/experience in the past decade or so has been mediocre/overpriced chain restaurant food and drink mixed with medium value/interest rock memorabilia. Not a destination imo, but a place to be stuck when more interesting options are unavailable.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
exactly. People think all of Hartford is ghetto. I frequent downtown Hartford VERY often couple times a week. Spend a bunch of money down there. I love the way they are improving Hartford. I said something to my brother a couple months ago about how this is the busiest I have EVER seen Hartford at 8pm on a non XL Center night. Yes it wasn't crowded like Boston or NYC. But there was a pretty good amount of people just walking around, sitting at benches, exercising or just hanging out. Its amazing the stigma Hartford gets. Oh yeah and yes most of the people seen were all "White" So everyone can stop with "How Hartford is dangerous and full of crime" I don't feel scared at all walking around. Yes certain parts of the city I wouldn't go to. But then again why would anyone want to go to residential areas without knowing anyone? Hoping there is more people like me out there and give Hartford a shot. Who knows you might love what they are doing down there like I did. Sorry for the rant. Like you I'm so sick of people saying Hartford is so trashy and nothing to do. There is plenty to do down there. Go explore. This isn't your Hartford from 15 years ago anymore.

Here is my take (filtered through the myopic lens of a working musician). Hartford has some great restaurants and some pretty cool cultural offerings. I have noticed an improvement over the last 5 years. The thing is that those cool cultural offerings and high end restaurants attract an older demographic. Older demographics will go out and spend decent money, but not with a frequency that makes a city seem vibrant. A city will only ever be as strong as its ability to attract young people. They may spend less money per night, but they go out way more frequently. Last Friday night I was on Crown Street in New Haven and at 8:00 pm that street and the cross streets were teaming with people. Going out to eat, maybe a beer or two, and then they end up at the clubs either dancing or going to see live music. I never get that same vibe in Hartford. Not in Union place, not anywhere. West Hartford center, maybe but that aint Hartford, and that is for the "deep pocket" crowd anyway. Through the 80's and early 90's Hartford had the best entertainment options in the state. More bars that attracted more bands which in turn attracted young people. From the late 90's through 2010 for whatever reason, the city absolutely died. National touring bands on their way up dont usually stop in Hartford. ( look at what College Street Music Hall is getting in New Haven in the last couple months. or FTC in Fairfield. None of those acts stop in Hartford). As a rule in my business, you want to play where the people will go see you. In my case and in many of my local peers case that is not in Hartford. You would be hard pressed to name anything besides Arch Street that features local live music that live music aficionados would go to attend in any regularity. When I want to hit the Hartford Market I end up playing Manchester. We do better there than we do in downtown Hartford. Hartford really needs to work on attracting young people back. The Hard Rock Cafe and a Minor League baseball team dont seem like the recipe to me. Just more of the same. I think overall it helps the cities image, sure. It wont hurt having a Hard Rock hotel, it wont hurt having a cool inner city baseball stadium, but I dont think it will move the needle on the issues Im describing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love the comments about Hartford being a safe city and the sentiment that the worry over crime is foolish.

As of a month or two ago, Hartford had the most murders of the 9 largest cities in New England. As of September, Hartford had 24 murders and Boston had 23 (with a population 5X greater). Where the new park is going in? It's only a couple blocks before the neighborhood deteriorates rapidly. There was 3 murders this spring on Belden and Donald St which are 0.3-0.5 m away from where the new stadium is going. So you never felt scared walking from the Civic Center to the parking garage a block away? Doesn't mean Hartford isn't Murdertown.

Reaction Score
People judge Hartford like they judge Brimah. They get all over it for what it is not. People think its competitive set is New York and Boston, cities that dwarf it. It compares very favorably to places like Sacramento and Des Moines and Albany. I've heard people gush about Providence which is basically a mall that sets its river on fire. None of those cities are close to Hartford for history (Mark Twain House, Old State House, Colt,) culture (Wadsworths) Music venues from large to small like the Webster, to Meadows, Infinity, Both Bushnell Auditoriums, There is a high end theater scene between the Bushnell, Hartford Stage and theater works. Throw in the riverfront, Front Street, the civic center the new ball park. I could go on, this is off the top of my head.

Compared to other cities of 100,00 people the place is off the hook. But it doesn't get enough rebounds.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
National touring bands on their way up dont usually stop in Hartford. ( look at what College Street Music Hall is getting in New Haven in the last couple months. or FTC in Fairfield. None of those acts stop in Hartford). As a rule in my business, you want to play where the people will go see you. In my case and in many of my local peers case that is not in Hartford. You would be hard pressed to name anything besides Arch Street that features local live music that live music aficionados would go to attend in any regularity.
Infinity Hartford is a nice venue that is getting decent regional/national talent, or at least it was. I haven't checked their calendar recently, but I liked attending a show there. Good food, very good beers, nice room. Arch St., where I have also seen some very good shows, is right there, too, making for a decent little music area.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Infinity Hartford is a nice venue that is getting decent regional/national talent, or at least it was. I haven't checked their calendar recently, but I liked attending a show there. Good food, very good beers, nice room. Arch St., where I have also seen some very good shows, is right there, too, making for a decent little music area.
I mentioned Arch Street as really the only currently viable place.

Infinity has put on some decent stuff, but with nowhere near the regularity of College Street and FTC and while I had a good experience there too, they are charging exorbitantly prohibitive prices there that are seeming to put a damper on peoples enthusiasm for going there.
For example Max Creek played there not too long ago, with fees a ticket was 40 bucks. I can see Creek in a lot of places for never less than 15 and never more than 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom