OT: gym etiquette | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: gym etiquette

Reaction Score
#1: cell phones. I don't know why but there is something so much more annoying about having to listen to someone's phone conversation versus two people nearby talking to each other. How about you just focus on your 30 minute workout; the world is unlikely to end during that time. So you're not tempted, how about just leaving your phone in the car. Also, signs are posted everywhere about cell phone use but I guess everyone's inane conversation is uniquely important compared to everyone else; so much so that the rules don't apply to them.

#2: not re-racking weights and putting away equipment. Again, signs are everywhere yet ownership has to routinely send out emails on the subject. We've all been taught since we were young'uns, put it back where you found it.

Reaction Score
I find that the meat heads, guys who are serious about training rarely do that. It tends to be the people who are new to it or for years they just grab a machine sit there for 40 minutes and do a million reps and wonder why they never get stronger.

Idk man. I’ve seen the big dudes with their “gym purses,” as I call it, with their wraps, preworkout, protein, and chalk doing the same .

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
When people take the 45's off the barbell on the bench and when people hog 2-3 machines to superset.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
1. The idiots at 5:30am that park themselves on a bench scrolling emails on their phone while drinking their Dunkachino, complaining about getting up so early to work out. They do 2 sets of bicep curls (the most useless weightlifting exercise ever), the complain they’ll be exhausted at work, then leave

2. Fat old farts that try to pick me up at the gym. I wave my wedding ring in front of them but they’re oblivious. I’m on a schedule at 5am, get away from me

Reaction Score
I think the worst for me has to be guys who curl over the weight rack and make it inaccessible for everyone else.

What's worse is usually they don't even do it right there, what they do is they pick up the weights, move one step to the left or right, and then curl. That way they don't block the empty space they just took the weights from and ensure they block maximum amount of weights that other people might want to use.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I have a Planet Fitness "Black Card" membership, which allows me to use any Planet Fitness, anywhere. It costs $10 more per month but totally worth it for me because I travel around the state frequently for work and I keep a packed gym bag in my car at all times so I can hop in and get in a workout whenever, wherever I am, if I have an hour or so to spare. I really like the anonymity of going to other gyms, especially at non-peak hours. And almost every one of them is nicer than my "home" Planet Fitness.

But the thing that still makes me scratch my head about my home gym is free pizza on the first Monday of every month. And it's really good pizza from a very good local place. But it is absolutely the last thing I am thinking about when I am going to the gym, especially on a Monday, when I am almost always trying to atone for overindulgence over the weekend. It's gotten to the point that it angers me when I end up at the gym on those nights because it's a completely unnecessary temptation that seems antithetical in just about every way. And there is clearly a crowd of people who are there because it is free pizza night, which blows my mind. I've never given in, but I have to block out the thought because, well, it's pizza and it's damned good.
I remember that pizza night. Your right. It’s always excellent pizza

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
#1: cell phones. I don't know why but there is something so much more annoying about having to listen to someone's phone conversation versus two people nearby talking to each other. How about you just focus on your 30 minute workout; the world is unlikely to end during that time. So you're not tempted, how about just leaving your phone in the car. Also, signs are posted everywhere about cell phone use but I guess everyone's inane conversation is uniquely important compared to everyone else; so much so that the rules don't apply to them.

#2: not re-racking weights and putting away equipment. Again, signs are everywhere yet ownership has to routinely send out emails on the subject. We've all been taught since we were young'uns, put it back where you found it.

Amen to both.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
The worst is sweaty exercise equipment and people not re-racking or putting things where they belong.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have a Planet Fitness "Black Card" membership, which allows me to use any Planet Fitness, anywhere. It costs $10 more per month but totally worth it for me because I travel around the state frequently for work and I keep a packed gym bag in my car at all times so I can hop in and get in a workout whenever, wherever I am, if I have an hour or so to spare. I really like the anonymity of going to other gyms, especially at non-peak hours. And almost every one of them is nicer than my "home" Planet Fitness.

But the thing that still makes me scratch my head about my home gym is free pizza on the first Monday of every month. And it's really good pizza from a very good local place. But it is absolutely the last thing I am thinking about when I am going to the gym, especially on a Monday, when I am almost always trying to atone for overindulgence over the weekend. It's gotten to the point that it angers me when I end up at the gym on those nights because it's a completely unnecessary temptation that seems antithetical in just about every way. And there is clearly a crowd of people who are there because it is free pizza night, which blows my mind. I've never given in, but I have to block out the thought because, well, it's pizza and it's damned good.

"C'mom 88 eat the pie. It's free and you know it's good. You just worked out. You earned it."​

Reaction Score
Guys who insist on performing all of their personal grooming (shaving, brushing teath, blow dry) in front of the sinks/mirrors, all while completely naked. Sometimes they’ll even use the blow dryer on their junk. Wtf.
I'll never understand it. I find locker rooms disgusting and will do almost anything to never shower in them. You feel like you need a shower as soon as you step out of the shower. I feel the same way about indoor pools.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Guys who insist on performing all of their personal grooming (shaving, brushing teath, blow dry) in front of the sinks/mirrors, all while completely naked. Sometimes they’ll even use the blow dryer on their junk. Wtf.

Yeah man, the dude who shaves at the gym...WTH. It’s so dumb but also kind of genius because he doesn’t get hair all over his own bathroom.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course locker room etiquette enough said there. When some takes the bar of the bench press brings it over to the squat area to do curls when there are already bars stood up in the corner of the weight room right and on top of all that leaving the bar there, totally messing up the bench press and squat areas .

Reaction Score

What!? Is that a real thing?

Reaction Score
- People who take 3-5 sets of dumbbells at once
- People who think they can use two benches/machines at once
- Guys who only groan when attractive women are around
- People lifting ridiculously heavy weight with terrible form because it makes them look cool

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The gym I go to is weird as hell. There are a few guys who sing or rap to whatever they are listening to on their headphones. There are a few dudes who look like they are wearing just their underwear and a shirt or tank top, couple dudes who wear dress pants and a dress shirt, and a guy who has an entire workout which consists of him holding 2.5 lb. dumbells in both hands and prancing up and down from one end of the gym to the other on his tippy toes. I'm convinced he's a drag queen who is working his runway walk.

The only person who really bothers me is an older guy who absolutely stinks of BO, he seems to be there whenever I'm there and he always gets in the way. Women at the gym are a million times better than guys overall. They never smell, don't grunt, don't pick up weight that's too heavy for them, and are just way less disgusting.

Only real pet peeves are don't smell, and put back your weights. Also don't leave your belongings in front of a machine, someone else would like to use it.

What people wear to the gym bothers me way more than it should. Obviously it is no real consequence to me but it boggles my mind that there’s people who are willing to pay $40-$50 a month for the gym but think that their yard work old jeans/cargo shorts is appropriate fitness attire.

Am I the only one who won’t go into an area where there is some gorgeous 20 yr old because I don’t them to think I’m going near them to stare?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom