OT: Guilty Pleasures-Another Music Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Guilty Pleasures-Another Music Thread

Reaction Score
In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry.

While this is technically true, I enjoy his full discography. Here is what I see and hear when thinking 'one hit wonder'. She was 37 when she did the video. Supposedly that is her actual high school cheerleader uniform. Below is her picture now at 72.

143236269.jpg

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Not exactly a one hit wonder. Tones of Home was fair popular. Plus, I think they are also disqualified from the conversation, as it is kinda hard to follow up when their lead singer and important creative cog passed on not long after this song's release.

Of course I didn't come here to only crap on some else's post so my contribution is Cumbersome by Seven Mary Three.

Reaction Score
Not exactly a one hit wonder. Tones of Home was fair popular. Plus, I think they are also disqualified from the conversation, as it is kinda hard to follow up when their lead singer and important creative cog passed on not long after this song's release.

Of course I don't only want to crap on some else's point so my contribution is Cumbersome by Seven Mary Three.

Cumbersome is a great song.

Reaction Score
Digital Underground most certainly isn't a one hit wonder.

Which one of these should I know?

1988 "Underwater Rimes"
1989 "Doowutchyalike"
1990 "Doowutchyalike (Remix) / Packet Man"
1990 "Packet Man (The C.J. Mackintosh Remixes)" (Europe only)
1990 "Freaks of the Industry" (US promo only)
1991 "Same Song"
1991 "Nuttin' Nis Funky" (US only)
1991 "Kiss You Back"
1992 "No Nose Job"
1993 "The Return of the Crazy One"
1994 "Wussup Wit The Luv"
1996 "Oregano Flow"
1996 "Walk Real Kool" (US only)
1998 "Wind Me Up" (US promo only)
1998 "The Mission" (US promo only

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

1988 "Underwater Rimes"
1989 "Doowutchyalike"
1991 "Same Song"
1991 "Kiss You Back"
1992 "No Nose Job"
1996 "Oregano Flow"
I'd go with Doowutchyalike and Kiss You Back, but yeah the Humpty Dance was far and away their best known.

Reaction Score
I would like to apologize in advance for putting this one in everyone's head the rest of the afternoon.

We all had it pass through our heads, you should apologize, but it wont be in my head. Maybe OMC with "How Bizarre" would get stuck in my head. Now I'm going to apologize...

Reaction Score

Saw Blind Melon open up for Lenny Kravitz at the Mullins Center. Great show.

Reaction Score

1988 "Underwater Rimes"
1989 "Doowutchyalike"
1991 "Same Song"
1991 "Kiss You Back"
1992 "No Nose Job"
1996 "Oregano Flow"
Doowutchyalike, Freaks of the Industry, Same Song, Kiss you back, No Nose Job, The Return of the Crazy One and Oregano Flow all got a lot of MTV and radio play. Digital Underground was a well known and innovative act during of the Golden Age of hip hop. They also worked a lot with Parliament-Funkadelic and gave Tupac his
start.

Reaction Score
Doowutchyalike, Freaks of the Industry, Same Song, Kiss you back, No Nose Job, The Return of the Crazy One and Oregano Flow all got a lot of MTV and radio play. Digital Underground was a well known and innovative act during of the Golden Age of hip hop. They also worked a lot with Parliament-Funkadelic and gave Tupac his
start.

I guess you like them....but according to WikiPedia, "Kiss You Back" reached #40 on the US charts and none of the others even charted.

Reaction Score
Ram Jam, "Black Betty"
Gary Numan, "Cars"
Sister Hazel, "All for You"
JD Souther, "Only Lonely"
Pete Droge, "If You Don't Love Me (I'll Kill Myself)"
Toad the Wet Sprocket, "Fall Down"
M. "pop Muzik"
Joan Osbourne, "One of Us"
Garry Lee, "The Rodeo Song"
The Kings, "Switching to Glide"
The Hazies, "Skin & Bones"
Jay Ferguson, "Thunder Island"
Marillion, "Kayleigh"
Pure Prairie League, "Aime"

Reaction Score
I guess you like them....but according to WikiPedia, "Kiss You Back" reached #40 on the US charts and none of the others even charted.
Don't know why you are arguing this, Digital Underground was a pretty big hip-hop group for close to 20 years. They worked with George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Big Pun, KRS-1 etc. They had a platinum album, gold records, songs in movies, and a bunch of songs on the R&B charts. Just because you've only heard one of their songs doesn't make them a one hit wonder.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Don't know why you are arguing this, Digital Underground was a pretty big hip-hop group for close to 20 years. They worked with George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Big Pun, KRS-1 etc. They had a platinum album, gold records, songs in movies, and a bunch of songs on the R&B charts. Just because you've only heard one of their songs doesn't make them a one hit wonder.

Plus Tupac came out of that camp.

Reaction Score
Toad the Wet Sprocket actually have a pretty good two year run of top 40 hits...All I want, Walk on the Ocean, Fall Down, Something's Always Wrong.... ;)

Reaction Score

Just to clarify, from what I see, "songs in movies" include the movies "Nothing But Trouble" starring Dan Ackroyd and Chevy Chase and "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood" by the Wayan Brothers. I admit I didn't see either of those films.

Reaction Score
Toad the Wet Sprocket actually have a pretty good two year run of top 40 hits...All I want, Walk on the Ocean, Fall Down, Something's Always Wrong.... ;)
Also not a one hit wonder band. Neither is Blind Melon.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Making the Top 40 has always been the definition of a hit.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just to clarify, from what I see, "songs in movies" include the movies "Nothing But Trouble" starring Dan Ackroyd and Chevy Chase and "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood" by the Wayan Brothers. I admit I didn't see either of those films.

To me, the people in the "Digital Underground absolutely ARE NOT a one hit wonder" camp are wrong. One hit wonder doesn't mean they made one good song and the rest are total crap, it means they had one hit.

If you ask everyone out on the street from age 15-55 to name all the digital underground songs they know, I think at least 90% would either only know the humpty dance or not even know it was by a group named digital underground. There are people who liked all of these bands, some of those people might even have the awareness to still consider them a one hit wonder

Here's another for the old timers

Reaction Score
Also not a one hit wonder band. Neither is Blind Melon.

Yes, I was pointing out TTWS in response to huskyblooz' post. I didn't link it.

"No Rain" was Blind Melon's only Top 40 hit. But are we counting the "mainstream rock" charts also??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom