OT: growing yard moss | The Boneyard

OT: growing yard moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I happen to like yard moss. It's green the year round and doesn't need mowing or any other care. Have always heard that pouring beer or buttermilk on the ground will facilitate growth. Beer is out, unless it is run through my filter first and I never heard anything about pee being good for a yard, to say nothing about my neighbors probably not being pleased with my efforts to enhance growth. So, possibly try buttermilk, or what?

Reaction Score
There's a big wide internet out there where I'm sure this has been discussed to no end. I'd hazard a guess that a simple google search would probably be your best bet here.

Reaction Score
I happen to like yard moss. It's green the year round and doesn't need mowing or any other care. Have always heard that pouring beer or buttermilk on the ground will facilitate growth. Beer is out, unless it is run through my filter first and I never heard anything about pee being good for a yard, to say nothing about my neighbors probably not being pleased with my efforts to enhance growth. So, possibly try buttermilk, or what?
Personally I like a thick carpet of lush green crabgrass.

Reaction Score
This is prob another topic but has anyone used a company in Ct. to get rid of voles or moles that are tearing up my lawn? I have traps but no luck so far.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This is prob another topic but has anyone used a company in Ct. to get rid of voles or moles that are tearing up my lawn? I have traps but no luck so far.
I don't think there is a way to eradicate them. But if there is a way it may take several seasons.

Last edited:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Get an outdoor cat? Although you may wind up with more dead birds being brought to your doorstep.

As far as growing moss - all I know is you can't use rolling stones, or so I hear.

Reaction Score
I use a lawn insect control (Spectracide Triazicide) about three times a summer. Eliminate the voles/moles food source (insects) and they stay out of your yard. It has worked for me. I also had a chipmunk problem. A .22 works good for that.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
A super shady yard helps with moss, but ive heard of buttermilk working before. My previous home had a record amount of yard moss. My only issue was it flopped over like a bad toupe when I busted out the leaf blower in the fall. Ish looked like The Donald.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Addition by subtraction. Weed out all other forms of vegetation except the moss.
Eventually the moss will spread where it can thrive.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So, possibly try buttermilk, or what?
I believe you also have to apply a layer of very special applesauce, add three layers of croissants, Calvados, apples, ginger and aged cheddar.

And possibly ice cream.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
If you want a lot of moss, have a sh!++y, rocky laden yard like I have. Grass can't root with the rocks there but moss has no issues. I can tell without even using a shovel where the rocks are in my yard. I used to dig them out and then one day I decided to dig up one large area and seed it. When I did I found a six foot wide boulder buried there......I learned to love the moss.

Reaction Score

If you play some Journey, they might just come to the surface to dance it out... Think I saw it in a movie one time.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Get some deer repellent that contains coyote urine. It will keep deer away from your shrubs.....and attract coyotes.....but you won't have any more moles, voles, squirrels, rabbits, cats, small dogs.......

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Get some deer repellent that contains coyote urine. It will keep deer away from your shrubs.....and attract coyotes.....but you won't have any more moles, voles, squirrels, rabbits, cats, small dogs..
Why not just get a pack of coyote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog